What do you think of Caitlin Clark?

What is your perspective about Caitlin Clark?

• Team Steph. I am at least somewhat supportive of her because she is so good for women's sports.

Votes: 128 33.7%
  • Team Alisa. I don't care about Caitlin Clark because she is a Hokeye.

Votes: 232 61.1%
  • Team Steph/Alisa. Please explain how you reconcile these two apparently mutually exclusive options.

Votes: 20 5.3%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

4cy16

Jun 14, 2021
She might get one shot off, but after that she would have to shoot from the other free throw line, Have you watched the physicality of the men's game? How much of a pounding do you think she could take?
She might get one shot off, but after that she would have to shoot from the other free throw line, Have you watched the physicality of the men's game? How much of a pounding do you think she could take?
That's what she said.

• Winner
Reactions: ISUTex

CyCity

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 28, 2014
West Des Moines
CC's player efficiency rating through her junior year is 37.5. Ionescu's PER for her career was 33.5.

Ionescu had a better assist to turnover ratio, but CC makes up for it because she is better scorer. Part of that CC's higher volume from 3 which increases her points per attempt, but she's also a significantly better shooter inside the arc than Ionescu was, giving her both a higher true FG% and a higher eFG%.

If she wanted to switch jerseys, I'd contribute to that NIL fund. I would take her exactly as she is and I would love it. I feel the same way about most of their stars that I've disliked.
Yeah that’s my point. She’s not a generational talent and that term gets thrown around loosely too often in all sports.

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
I really didn't like her when we played her the previous two years - especially where it seemed like she pushed off on every play and flopped like crazy on defense. At least watching a couple games this year it seems like she's cleaned that up. My opinion on her has definitely changed over the last year - I'd say her game has grown and improved to where the "cockiness" is warranted. I've enjoyed watching her the last couple months and have been cheering for the Hawks to continue their run.

That chicken wing stays out there all the time. I hope S. Carolina takes them by 30 but I'll settle for 1,just so I don't have to hear about them every freaking day.

Reactions: Jdk

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
I don't keep up with the landscape really of College WBB. Assuming they don't win the title this year, would they be the favorites to win it all the next 2 years if she came back for both?

S. Carolina would be my guess till proven different

tavrncy

Mar 29, 2023
Yeah that’s my point. She’s not a generational talent and that term gets thrown around loosely too often in all sports.

She's got the highest scoring average of all time. By the end of next year will probably have the all time record for points and be like top 5 all time for assists. Cannot imagine someone is doing that again anytime soon.

RedDog

Jan 28, 2014
She's got the highest scoring average of all time. By the end of next year will probably have the all time record for points and be like top 5 all time for assists. Cannot imagine someone is doing that again anytime soon.
Go away Jeff.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
She was second highest a game or so ago.

Yep, just checked and she is just in second, one and a half behind first.

Last edited:

7Got6

Aug 16, 2021
If by strict definition, you’re limiting it picking the best player in a 20 year cycle. I.e. Lebron, Jordan, etc. then you’re probably correct. Although that could change in the next two years.

If you’re arguing she’s not one of the best women’s college basketball players of all time already. That’s already debatable and barring injury won’t be debatable. She will be.

Reactions: tavrncy

tavrncy

Mar 29, 2023
She was second highest a game or so ago.

Yep, just checked and she is just in second, one and a half behind first.

Maybe there was someone who played before sports reference has numbers for but this is what I was going off of.

Either way she's likely to finish next year with the overall scoring record and way more assists than anyone who has scored at the level she has.

Last edited:

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.

tavrncy

Mar 29, 2023
Patricia Hoskins averaged 28.4 during her career at Miss Valley State.

Fair enough, I'll stand corrected. I wish there were better stat records for women's players, hopefully we're getting there soon.

Anyway even then she's second all time in points per game and the best scorer of the of the last thirty+ years. Not much of a stretch to say she's the best offensive player of her generation at least

nfrine

Mar 31, 2006
Nearby
Fair enough, I'll stand corrected. I wish there were better stat records for women's players, hopefully we're getting there soon.

Anyway even then she's second all time in points per game and the best scorer of the of the last thirty+ years. Not much of a stretch to say she's the best offensive player of her generation at least
CC will score a lot more next year when she doesn't have a good big to throw to. Look for 25-30 shots per game...maybe more.

Reactions: tavrncy

GMackey32

TJ's spy team member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 2, 2009
Ames Via Cedar Falls
Hi Hawkize, thanks for lurking! Question for ya: how’s the single life going? I’m pretty sure if my wife left me because I spent too much time online, I’d probably cut back a bit but you do you, boo! Does your boss at the Credit Union know you spend most of your day online?

• Haha
Reactions: Mads4st8 and CyCity

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
We all know if this was ISU and Joens, it would be a non story in Iowa…. especially in eastern Iowa.

Reactions: AlCyJim

CyCity

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 28, 2014
West Des Moines
Hi Hawkize, thanks for lurking! Question for ya: how’s the single life going? I’m pretty sure if my wife left me because I spent too much time online, I’d probably cut back a bit but you do you, boo! Does your boss at the Credit Union know you spend most of your day online?
Oh he tagged me? I don’t think people understood what I meant. Someone said she’s the best shooter since Pistol Pete which is what I responded to. For example Tyrus McGee, Jake Sullivan and other Iowa State players were better shooters than Clark. That doesn’t mean they were better basketball players in their game or better at anything else. Clark is a good shooter but not great. Clark is a great basketball player though.

GMackey32

TJ's spy team member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 2, 2009
Ames Via Cedar Falls
Oh he tagged me? I don’t think people understood what I meant. Someone said she’s the best shooter since Pistol Pete which is what I responded to. For example Tyrus McGee, Jake Sullivan and other Iowa State players were better shooters than Clark. That doesn’t mean they were better basketball players in their game or better at anything else. Clark is a good shooter but not great. Clark is a great basketball player though.
He just needs that Twitter validation which is ironic because that’s what got him divorced.

• Informative
Reactions: CyCity

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
Honest question but does she lead both in turnovers too? She almost got the quadruple double the other night!

Give Clark credit. In the post-game interview when they asked about the triple double, Clark was the one who quickly mentioned that she almost had a quadruple double because of the turnovers.

ForbinsAscynt

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 8, 2014

I really want to roast this headline but I don’t pay for athletic and it wouldn’t be fair. I’ll do it here though.
Longevity made Iowa a winner? She made the post season 6 times before her first and only losing season.
Loyalty? She’s at Iowa. What other opportunities does she have that aren’t a lateral move? There is UCONN and maybe 1 or 2 that would be considered an upgrade.
Not denying she’s a great coach. Just seems like a bad thesis. I’d say it’s in state talent and the state of Iowa’s overall support for women’s athletics that make Iowa team’s successful.

• Agree
Reactions: CyclonesRock
Status
Not open for further replies.