What do you do?

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha
To be honest, I think you just let him play out of it. Give him 3-4 more games to get his head around. Players go through slumps, and DG was playing very well around the beginning of Big 12 play and now he is struggling a bit. He is only a sophmore, and will be insturmental to our team in the coming years. Benching him wont help a thing. Maybe you can tune back his minutes a bit to give Buckley a look, but benching him or even having him split time nearly evenly with Buckley will not be helpful. DG just needs a couple shots to fall, or have a good game Saturday and he will be back to normal. Being a former basketball player, I know how it feels when you are struggling. The only way I can explain it is "when it rains it pours." But as soon as you get a few shots in a row to fall, or make a copule good plays in a row your confidence is back and it is amazing how much that affects your all around game.

Let's just say every layup comes from a different direction and his shooting release is a little strange compared to what you might expect. I think next year he should perfect his shot so that it is more standard. Anyone can clunk layups by flinging them up at the end. What he fails to do is draw fouls when he cannot make the contorsionist layup.

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
rememberingdoria.wordpress.com
Simple. You let BP bring the ball up court as the qb.

This might not hurt, and it might help Bryan (I can't believe I just wrote that after last year:wink:), since he has a ton of trouble getting open from the 2 spot. Maybe that would help. Or split the duties, and give Buckley some time as well.

Or, let DG play out of it, as 32 said, since slumps happen. I'm kind of at a loss here, but better days are ahead. I think:yes:

cyclonenum1

Nov 30, 2006
I still support GMAC and think he is the right guy for the job...

With the trainwreck he took over and all the misfortune he's had I'm willing to give him his full 5 year contract time before I start to give up on the job he's doing.

I see the many McDermott apologists often reference the Morgan years like this (or something similar). My question to you is simple...If the Morgan years were a "trainwreck"...how in the world do you describe the McDermott era??

ISUFan22

Apr 11, 2006
Denver, CO
To be honest, I think you just let him play out of it.

The sad thing is, I see no indication that he will in fact play out of this in the near future. It's not fair to the team nor the other individual players that are performing better to not get more time on the court.

Said it a few times now - some of our better runs in the KU game were when DG was on the bench.

I'll even go this far and it will certainly ruffle some feathers - but oh well..

Last night we came out of the 4 minutes break I think and just before that break, DG had turned it over - or close to that time. I was hoping we'd see a change there going into those last few minutes - was disappointed when Walters noted the 5 guys on the court and DG was one of them. He had at least one critical turnover in those final minutes - but I think he had 2 - not for sure.

IMO, our chances to win would have significantly increased if Boozer would have subbed DG and let Petey run the point to close the game.

Last edited:

CloneIce

Apr 11, 2006
I see the many McDermott apologists often reference the Morgan years like this (or something similar). My question to you is simple...If the Morgan years were a "trainwreck"...how in the world do you describe the McDermott era??

Unfortunately, the Morgan years were better than the Mcdermott years have been, in every way. The worst of Morgan's 3 years has been better than each of Gmacs.

I have no idea why people must resort to revisionist history about the Morgan years to try and make the last 3 years look better.

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
The idea of benching DG, or even giving a portion of his minutes to Buckley is ridiculous. He is our second leader scorer, leading assitant man, 3rd highest rebounder, tied for best turnover/assist ratio, and leading our team in minutes per game. Diante's slide has only been since the Texas game, where he had a solid 13 pts, 7 boards, 4 assists and 1 turnover. Granted he was pretty bad against Neb., they all sucked against Mizzou, everyone aside from Brackins was terrible against KU, and he (along with many of his teammates) was awful last night. So by my count he has hit a 4 game skid, and now everyone is calling for his head.

Go back and look at the box scores, and everyone aside from Craig has struggled expect for Lucca's game against Nebraska. Can this all be blammed on DG? I think not. I think our consistant lack of production from anyone not named Craig Brackins is a direct result of the coach. He seems inable to put the players he has (again aside from Brackins) into positions where they can succeed. There is no team philosophy aside from forcefeed Craig the ball. I feel for Diante, as he has become a scapegoat now for what has been an overall awful team effort the last 5 games. Cut the kid some slack.

kg-cyclone

Oct 30, 2006
The idea of benching DG, or even giving a portion of his minutes to Buckley is ridiculous. He is our second leader scorer, leading assitant man, 3rd highest rebounder, tied for best turnover/assist ratio, and leading our team in minutes per game. Diante's slide has only been since the Texas game, where he had a solid 13 pts, 7 boards, 4 assists and 1 turnover. Granted he was pretty bad against Neb., they all sucked against Mizzou, everyone aside from Brackins was terrible against KU, and he (along with many of his teammates) was awful last night. So by my count he has hit a 4 game skid, and now everyone is calling for his head.

Go back and look at the box scores, and everyone aside from Craig has struggled expect for Lucca's game against Nebraska. Can this all be blammed on DG? I think not. I think our consistant lack of production from anyone not named Craig Brackins is a direct result of the coach. He seems inable to put the players he has (again aside from Brackins) into positions where they can succeed. There is no team philosophy aside from forcefeed Craig the ball. I feel for Diante, as he has become a scapegoat now for what has been an overall awful team effort the last 5 games. Cut the kid some slack.

We win and lose as a team...I just think we are asking DG to do something he is not (point gaurd)...Just thinking, give Buckley a few minutes(can shoot better than DG)...and let DG see what the defense is doing to him.

CTAClone

Addict
Mar 28, 2006
Amerika

Get out of this thread. I'm tired of listening to you in every thread throwing barbs at Mac every step of the way. WE HEAR YOU! No one else is talking about getting rid of Mac or how great of a coach they think he is in this thread. This will not become another bashing thread. Stick to the topic or get out.

Gizmo

Mar 11, 2006
Urbandale
Lets send a delegation of Cyclone supporters to the grave of Marie Laveau in New Orleans (the Voo Doo Queen) to end this road curse. Nothing rational has worked over the years. We always lose too many road games regardless of the coach or players. Colorado is especially galling. Only Marie Laveau can help us at this point!!

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
rememberingdoria.wordpress.com
Get out of this thread. I'm tired of listening to you in every thread throwing barbs at Mac every step of the way. WE HEAR YOU! No one else is talking about getting rid of Mac or how great of a coach they think he is in this thread. This will not become another bashing thread. Stick to the topic or get out.

Correct. The idea here is to figure out what we would do in our coach's shoes. It's not like it necessarily accomplishes a lot, but it's meant to get people thinking towards solutions that can be implemented instead of just complaining.

Losers sit around around, whining and complaining. We've had time to vent. Now we have time to learn how to move on, or at least think about it.

PGreen ISU '92

Mar 6, 2008
Waukee, IA
I think the team is using Brackins as a crutch. GMac needs to create plays to get the other guys open looks early in the game. Talk to each player individually prior to game time and let that player know they are going to be a key offensive component and that he has total confidence in them. Pump them up! With the exception of Brackins nobody else even thinks they have the ability to score points. It’s crazy frustrating!

goclonz80

Sep 12, 2008
Omaha
Correct. The idea here is to figure out what we would do in our coach's shoes. It's not like it necessarily accomplishes a lot, but it's meant to get people thinking towards solutions that can be implemented instead of just complaining.

Losers sit around around, whining and complaining. We've had time to vent. Now we have time to learn how to move on, or at least think about it.
Ya Im sick of all the whiners too... Im cautiously optimistic about the rest of the year. We can still turn it around if we get our **** together. If we dont? Then Im gonna support the guys and be "blindly optimistic" about next season again.
However I cant be in the coaches shoes as my feet are very small. So Im not going to act like I know how we should correct the problems that weve been running into. If I did I would probly be coaching a mens bb team somewhere instead of sitting at my computer arguing in a forum.
:wink:

Last edited:

cyclonenum1

Nov 30, 2006

Interesting that you don't spew this same venom to the poster that I was responding to...who wasn't sticking to the topic.

trevn

LIV Tour DJ
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2006
Eastern Iowa
Obviously DG is not playing well right now. We've all seen flashes from him that show he has the ability to be very good. We've also seen the other side of him that's not so good. Playing Buckley a little more would help I think. It gets a young guy more experience and it takes a little pressure off DG. The other option is having Petey take charge and slide DG off the point. I'm not a fan of that either because I feel Petey's best role on the team is where he's at now.

Another big problem with this team is toughness. We're not tough or physical. I don't know how you fix that problem because it's more of a mentality, but to compete in the Big 12, you have to be tough. Quite simply we're not at any position.

The last thing is confidence. It's pretty obvious that anyone not named Craig Brackins is not playing with confidence. We're not making strong moves, we're not making strong passes and we're not taking good shots. We look lost and confused out there most of the time. I'm not sure how to fix that either. Maybe simplify things? Make it easier to just play and forget about thinking. It's hard to play the game well when you're thinking am I in the right place, are we in the right set, etc? No more thinking, just reacting and playing.

All that said, I'm not being paid the big bucks to coach and I'm by no means an expert. I just love the game and care about this team. Hopefully we can turn things around.

GeronimusClone

Oct 23, 2008
Des Moines, IA
To be honest, I think you just let him play out of it. Give him 3-4 more games to get his head around. Players go through slumps, and DG was playing very well around the beginning of Big 12 play and now he is struggling a bit. He is only a sophmore, and will be insturmental to our team in the coming years. Benching him wont help a thing. Maybe you can tune back his minutes a bit to give Buckley a look, but benching him or even having him split time nearly evenly with Buckley will not be helpful. DG just needs a couple shots to fall, or have a good game Saturday and he will be back to normal. Being a former basketball player, I know how it feels when you are struggling. The only way I can explain it is "when it rains it pours." But as soon as you get a few shots in a row to fall, or make a copule good plays in a row your confidence is back and it is amazing how much that affects your all around game.
Yeah, I had the same thoughts about Greg Hester back in theday.

GeronimusClone

Oct 23, 2008
Des Moines, IA
Yes Dad.

gocubs2118

Mar 31, 2006
Illinois
There is really no excuse why Buckley shouldn't get more playing time now. This was the same point of the season last where DG started getting more playing time and helping out more. Its time to see what this kid can do, it really can't get much worse.

nhclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 20, 2008
I think the problem is more than just DG right now. Obviously he is the most noticeable because heplays the point but other players are struggling too. We haven't been able to get Lucca open at all the last few games and it is causing him to take some shots he wouldn't have settled for at the beginning of the game. I love the fact he makes a few of them but the team has to work harder on their screens to get him open. A lot of times it looks like they roll from the screens early but don't go anywhere. That creates 2 problems: 1) The defender gets through easier so Lucca doesn't have an open shot. 2) Since they don't go anywhere after rolling they clog up the area with defenders and the spacing is off.
I think what the rest of the season will rely on is heart. We expected inconsistent play from the team and we have gotten that. The problem is right now they are playing consistently without heart. Other than Brackins and maybe Petey there isn't a man on this team I would want taking a last second shot. Earlier in the year I would've been happy with DG having the ball with the clock running down and he seemed to think so to but he has not consistently finished lately. All comes down to heart. I'm ging to stop my rambling now.:chatterbox:

CTAClone

Addict
Mar 28, 2006
Amerika
I think you develop Buckley to allow DG to sit down at times so he can watch the game. He just seems to try too hard to make things happen and I just think he needs another quality point guard to allow him to calm down or even to move to the 2 so he doesn't have to run the offense just try to be a apart of it..

We also really need another guard that can drive to the basket. Maybe boozer can be that guy eventually but I am pinning my hopes on Colvin right now.

To compare this team to past years, we have our Fizer now we just need a Tinsley.

I've never understood this on why people would want to move DG to the 2? What has he done so far that says he can play the 2?

I think you start him but let others take over some of his minutes. See how it plays out.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron