What conference is having a good year?

kingcy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 16, 2006
Menlo, Iowa
All that seems to be being talked about is how the Big 12 is down, the Big 157669 is down. But looking around what conference is having a up year?

The SEC is flat at best
The Big 12 is down
The Big 10 is down
The Big East is the Big East
The Pac 10 is the Pac 10

I guess I dont understand how you can bring up the that conference is down when none of them seem to be great this year. There is paridy like never before in College FB and that is making every conference look down.

illinoiscyclone

Jan 30, 2008
Wisconsin
the pac-10 is up. just because usc is not rolling on through, doesnt mean the conference is way down. Oregon is up, so is Washington (they had nowhere to go but up), Oregon State, Cal, and Stanford.

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
This is a down year for college football in general.

tazclone

Apr 14, 2006
isn't it funny that when SEC teams beat up on each other it shows how tought the conference is but when Big 12/Pac 10 teams beat up on each other it shows the Big 12 is down?

OSU and Texas beat Oklahoma so Oklahoma is down and sucks. Maybe since OSU beat Georgia they are a pretty good team

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
ACC looks down compared to the start of the season. I think the Pac-10 and Big East look better across the board than in past seasons. Big 10 looks pretty bad as does the Big 12 sans Texas.

Last edited:

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
I think it's tough to tell which conference are good until the bowl season

But then Big 10 fans just tell you that bowl stats don't really matter in judging conference strength.

Media feels the same way. The Big East has a very strong bowl record over the past 3-4 seasons, yet they still take it on the chin in the court of public opinion.

d4nim4l

Apr 23, 2008
West Des Moines, IA
Conferences being down is really a figment of media fabrication.

Big XII is down because the North teams all have glaring weaknesses.
Big Ten is down because Iowa is actually undefeated.
SEC is not necessarily down, but more boring than people would like to admit.
Big East is probably the most balanced/dangerous conference with WVU, Pitt, USF and Cincy.
ACC is about the same as normal. A lot of decent teams but no outstanding ones.
Pac 10 is better than most give it credit for, but USC having (omg!) 2 losses already has the conference written off.

Mountain West continues to be a good BCS alternative. Wonder how long before Boise tries to join it.

sodakjoe

Sep 15, 2006
Ames via Sioux Falls, SD
Mountain West continues to be a good BCS alternative. Wonder how long before Boise tries to join it.

This would be very interesting. With TCU, Utah, Boise St., and BYU, they would have a legit contender or two every year, with the winner being able to make a decent claim they are one of the best teams in the country.

Klubber

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
Aurora, IL
All that seems to be being talked about is how the Big 12 is down, the Big 157669 is down. But looking around what conference is having a up year?

The SEC is flat at best
The Big 12 is down
The Big 10 is down
The Big East is the Big East
The Pac 10 is the Pac 10

I guess I dont understand how you can bring up the that conference is down when none of them seem to be great this year. There is paridy like never before in College FB and that is making every conference look down.

You forgot the ACC, which is definitely not having a strong year.

jaretac

Nov 26, 2006
Frigidaire
I personally believe that the Big 10 is up from last year. Either that or the Big 12 is down so far that the Big 10 appears to be up. Outside of Texas, there isn't anyone in the Big 12 right now that we can call top notch.

Personally, though I would like to see the Big 12 get stronger again, I like balance that we are seeing this year. Except for Texas, no one has safe any week right now. It makes the race to the championship game more interesting.

sodakjoe

Sep 15, 2006
Ames via Sioux Falls, SD
I personally believe that the Big 10 is up from last year. Either that or the Big 12 is down so far that the Big 10 appears to be up. Outside of Texas, there isn't anyone in the Big 12 right now that we can call top notch.

Personally, though I would like to see the Big 12 get stronger again, I like balance that we are seeing this year. Except for Texas, no one has safe any week right now. It makes the race to the championship game more interesting.

What we really need is a comparable team in the North. While the race to the championship game is exciting, the championship game is essentially just one more game for the super awesome team to screw everything up at. It's not so much a game for the title as a "lets see if Texas can manage not to shoot themselves for one more week"

Clonehomer

Apr 11, 2006
If the Mountain West were to add Boise then they may actually have a claim to get an automatic bid. Maybe we could get some sort of BCS conference qualifier system. Use the sagarin or computer polls to find the best 6 conferences each year and award them with an automatic bid the next year, similar to how it is done in wrestling now. This would give the smaller conferences a shot and prevent conferences from getting spots when they are down for several years. Individual teams could still earn the at large spots but don't award a conference that doesn't deserve it.

Help Support Us

Become a patron