We're beginning to think Vegas and....

Arkansas Cyclone

Nov 25, 2006
Bentonville, Arkansas
...I could use your input. We've started watching airline prices online out of Kansas City but, since I've never been to Vegas, I'm wondering what some of you suggest for places to stay. We're not wanting anything really high end but also don't won't the low of the lows. One hotel that drew my interest was the Desert Rose...seemed nice and 'somewhat' reasonable price-wise. Also saw a couple hotels next to UNLV.

I really appreciate the input from anyone who's been a part of the whole Vegas experience. Right now our intent is to fly in Wednesday and fly back out again Sunday to give us a little time to see some of what Vegas offers. Any attractions suggested would be greatly appreciated as well.

ajk4st8

Mar 27, 2006
Ankeny
we went out for the basketball tourny. Our taxi driver told us the stadium was a long ways out of town. Far away from the strip.

wartknight

Mar 24, 2006
Do some looking. There are TONS of "What to do in Vegas" threads on this board. I believe it rivals only the number of threads on people knowing we have a new commit but can't say anything.

DevilDog

Apr 9, 2006
Janesville
We are heading out on thursday and returning on monday ourselves. We are staying at the desert rose. It was highly recommended by some coworkers and also the great feedback on expedia. Its just right off the strip to be nice and quiet but close enough to the action. Plus u have everything in your room if u dont wanna go out.

Arkansas Cyclone

Nov 25, 2006
Bentonville, Arkansas
We are heading out on thursday and returning on monday ourselves. We are staying at the desert rose. It was highly recommended by some coworkers and also the great feedback on expedia. Its just right off the strip to be nice and quiet but close enough to the action. Plus u have everything in your room if u dont wanna go out.

That's good to hear....it sounded like a pretty decent place to stay but I'm still very open to suggestions.

BTW, love the name. Are you a Marine? My son was in the Marine Corp (convoy security, 50 cal. gunner) and did some time in Iraq a couple of years ago.

Arkansas Cyclone

Nov 25, 2006
Bentonville, Arkansas
Yes i served 4 honorable years in the Marine Corps. Once a Marine always a Marine. Semper Fi

Semper Fi brother. I'm watching Extreme Home Makeover now as they built a house for Sargeant Gilyeat from KC who lost his leg when his humvee ran over twin tank mines. Oddly that day he switched vehicle positions with my sons humvee. My son called me just a little while ago and said he nearly came to tears has he heard Gilyeat describe that day and how the memories came back to my son on that particular day. It was an 18 hour experience he'll never forget as they tried to get Gilyeat out of there while under fire the whole time (he never told me that until tonight).

Thanks for serving our country, I will always be appreciate for your efforts.

SeattleClone

Aug 15, 2006
Do some looking. There are TONS of "What to do in Vegas" threads on this board. I believe it rivals only the number of threads on people knowing we have a new commit but can't say anything.

There are a lot of those threads, but I think there are more "is there a free radio broadcast for the game?" threads...

Wx4Cy

May 22, 2007
West Des Moines
Just walk the strip and take it all in. It's more overwhelming than Disney World.
Make sure you hit the Palms and get your girl something nice from the Playboy store.

Last edited:

2020cy

Aug 7, 2006
I think Allegant (sp?) offers $99 flights out of DSM. At least they have in the past. Keep an eye open.

iowast8fan

Aug 3, 2006
Ankeny
Allegiant had tickets to Vegas this weekend for $9 and return flights for $129. Of course it is too late for that so I guess I am no help.

DevilDog

Apr 9, 2006
Janesville
It will be a few more months before u can book an allegiant flight for the weekend of the fb game. Would be nice if they booked out more in advance. But we decided to fly out of Minneapolis anyway.

cycopath25

Sep 8, 2006
(307)
I love Vegas. I was actually just there on Superbowl weekend. I have stayed at Excaliber, and the Rivera. We stayed at Tahiti Village this time which is on Las Vegas Blvd but not right on the strip. They have a free shuttle. We drove there so the shuttle didn't matter. WHen I fly I go with Allegiant Air. Cheap and easy. You can also book hotels and shows from their website too. I know my GF booked the Tahiti Village this go around. She said she got the rooms for $77/night off of Hotels.com. I am most likely going back to Vegas in June.

Ficklone02

Apr 11, 2006
City by the Bay
I love Vegas. I was actually just there on Superbowl weekend. I have stayed at Excaliber, and the Rivera. We stayed at Tahiti Village this time which is on Las Vegas Blvd but not right on the strip. They have a free shuttle. We drove there so the shuttle didn't matter. WHen I fly I go with Allegiant Air. Cheap and easy. You can also book hotels and shows from their website too. I know my GF booked the Tahiti Village this go around. She said she got the rooms for $77/night off of Hotels.com. I am most likely going back to Vegas in June.
So you didn't book with Tonya Roberts? :)

loboclone

Aug 8, 2006
Rio Rancho, New Mexico
Flying from KC or omaha on Southwest makes sense. In '99 most Clone's flew from Omaha on SWA. Download "Ding" to your desktop for the cheapest fares. However, they won't post those fares till late July/early August. You have to watch every day for the fares. I fly them most every week and do it on Ding fares. They fly everyday with multiple flights vs Allgiant flying when it wants too.

We go to Vegas every 2-3 months and have stayed most everywhere. On and off strip, I am an off strip person now. The stadium (Sam Boyd is east of city), it is a private owned facility. UNLV rents for games therefore they have always severved BEER! NCC and Alumni Assoc will have a tailgate for sure. Best to cab it to staduim. In '99 we outnumbered the Rebel Fans big time, huge ISU crowd at that game.

Arkansas Cyclone

Nov 25, 2006
Bentonville, Arkansas
Flying from KC or omaha on Southwest makes sense. In '99 most Clone's flew from Omaha on SWA. Download "Ding" to your desktop for the cheapest fares. However, they won't post those fares till late July/early August. You have to watch every day for the fares. I fly them most every week and do it on Ding fares. They fly everyday with multiple flights vs Allgiant flying when it wants too.

We go to Vegas every 2-3 months and have stayed most everywhere. On and off strip, I am an off strip person now. The stadium (Sam Boyd is east of city), it is a private owned facility. UNLV rents for games therefore they have always severved BEER! NCC and Alumni Assoc will have a tailgate for sure. Best to cab it to staduim. In '99 we outnumbered the Rebel Fans big time, huge ISU crowd at that game.

good to know....definitely download "ding". Thanks!

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron