Welp, No more EA NCAA Football games...

Clone96

Nov 14, 2006
Parts Unknown
Didn't see this posted yet...Press Release - NCAA.org

Hedging their bets in the Ed O'Bannon lawsuit.

Edit: There will be an EA College Football game next year, but it's not going to be licensed by the NCAA (No school names, logos or mascots)

Last edited:

ISUCyclones2015

Doesn't wipe standing up
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2010
Chicago, IL
Didn't see this posted yet...Press Release - NCAA.org

Hedging their bets in the Ed O'Bannon lawsuit.

Edit: There will be an EA College Football game next year, but it's not going to be licensed by the NCAA (No school names, logos or mascots)

Where did you hear this? Technically speaking each School has rights to their own trademark and brand so they can do whatever they damn well please.

mj4cy

Asst. Regional Manager
Staff member
Mar 28, 2006
Iowa
Yeah not gonna sell well.....I don't want to play some ficticious football game... I'll just stick to Madden.

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny

The NCAA says that all these things have been licensed from the individual schools, so it would seem you could still have a "college football" game with school names, logos, mascots, just no NCAA branding

aeroclone

Oct 30, 2006
Am I reading this wrong? It looks like this is just the NCAA pulling out. The schools are handled individually. Does anybody care if they remove any NCAA logos from the game? If the schools, stadiums, mascots, and fight songs are all still there, then game on.

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
Am I reading this wrong? It looks like this is just the NCAA pulling out. The schools are handled individually. Does anybody care if they remove any NCAA logos from the game? If the schools, stadiums, mascots, and fight songs are all still there, then game on.

Exactly. The NCAA branding is pretty much irrelevant to football anyways.

mj4cy

Asst. Regional Manager
Staff member
Mar 28, 2006
Iowa
You could just call it EA sports college football or something like that...and use the schools that participate.

Clone96

Nov 14, 2006
Parts Unknown

CycloneRulzzz

Gameday Guru
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 13, 2008
Nevada, IA
It all the years I've bought this game I never really seem the ncaa logo other than in the title. If that's all that goes away big whoop.

ISUagger

Jan 31, 2012
Ames
As long as they can use the likeness of the teams, individuals can make their own rosters and share them. Still, I think this might start a chain reaction that ends the game. Not the final nail in the coffin by any means.

Incyte

Apr 12, 2007
As long as they can use the likeness of the teams, individuals can make their own rosters and share them. Still, I think this might start a chain reaction that ends the game. Not the final nail in the coffin by any means.

You think the schools will turn down the money?

I wonder if this falls within "third tier" media rights.

I heard Texas wants to start it's own game and have high school teams in it.

A-town Cy

Aug 4, 2006
Huxley
The NCAA shot down EA Sports' request a few years ago to show field rushing & goal posts getting torn down. If that gets added it'll be a better game. If they somehow allow the user to rush the field and help tear down the goal posts, it will be the greatest game ever.

driegner

Jun 9, 2010
Columbus, OH
Without the NCAA's blessing, perhaps we'll see other "Unsavory" things return like disciplinary issues and coach salaries. Additions which allegedly the NCAA was disallowing.

Last edited: