WBB: Bridget Carleton's future with the Connecticut Suns to be decided Thursday

Tornado man

Sep 16, 2007
Ames, IA
The fact this is even a discussion is proof the WNBA needs to do something. Expand, increase roster size...something. If you are trying to grow your brand, getting beloved college players like Bridget and Gustafson on a roster is very important.

This makes some sense to me:

Chuck Thompson‏ @FiveStateHoops 6h6 hours ago
The WNBA should consider expansion, but do it in proven College towns with Women’s fan bases. Think Ames or Iowa City couldn’t host a WNBA team and draw 10,000+? Don’t have to link them to NBA cities, link them to proven women’s hoops supporters.

cyclone13

Apr 7, 2009
This makes some sense to me:

Chuck Thompson‏ @FiveStateHoops 6h6 hours ago
The WNBA should consider expansion, but do it in proven College towns with Women’s fan bases. Think Ames or Iowa City couldn’t host a WNBA team and draw 10,000+? Don’t have to link them to NBA cities, link them to proven women’s hoops supporters.

Ames yes but probably closer to 7-8k. Iowa City no.

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009

8000 for the WNBA would put it ahead of ISU WBB in actual attendance. Can't see it happening. Maybe if Bridget were on the roster for home games and getting significant minutes.

mred

Oct 19, 2006
SE WI
bball.notnothing.net
I think 7-8k is still too optimistic. They'd be better off in Des Moines where more people are nearby. How many people live in Ames in the summer? If you are counting on a lot of people making the trek from the DSM area to watch, just put the team down there.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
https://www.sbnation.com/wnba/2019/5/23/18636639/wnba-male-practice-squads

Interesting read about the Connecticut Suns male practice squad!

"The laid-back atmosphere belies just how surprising the scene might be to anyone who hasn’t played basketball at a high level: a gym of men competing for the opportunity to be beaten by WNBA players, for free. Registration for the tryout cost $20, and came with lunch and a ticket voucher. If they make the squad, they get a pair of shoes."
Current Timberwolves player Tyus Jones was a Lynx practice player in high school.

runbikeswim

Oct 23, 2014
I think the best location for WNBA is no NBA towns. Kansas City would be a great option, for example.

• Agree
Reactions: Cycsk

runbikeswim

Oct 23, 2014
If anyone wants to come to see Bridget play in Chicago against the Sky at Wintrust on Sunday June 23rd, I'd be happy to arrange a meet up. I can see about getting good FREE seats through our season ticket holder exchange.

Reactions: NWICY

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
In terms of people actually showing up anywhere in Iowa I just don't see more than 3-5000 fans at a regular home game. If they had a good run and made the championships I could see band wagon fans bumping it up to close to 10,000. Corporate tickets sold etc I could see them having season tickets in the 5-10000 range. Summer in Iowa just isn't prime BB time.

That being said if the opportunity arises for me to go to Chicago or the TCities to catch a game and see Bridgette play I probably will. One timing a game is a lot easier than season tickets for me personally.

• Friendly
Reactions: farm85

Tornado man

Sep 16, 2007
Ames, IA
The fans showing up would be the same as they are for the ISU WBB team: retirees and people with kids. I think it would work. Would have to have a Cyclone alumnus as HC though. Say Megan Taylor...

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
The fans showing up would be the same as they are for the ISU WBB team: retirees and people with kids. I think it would work. Would have to have a Cyclone alumnus as HC though. Say Megan Taylor...

I wish I was retired (sigh). But still enjoy my season tickets anyway. :)

Help Support Us

Become a patron