Way Too Early Look at Next Year

awd4cy

Dec 29, 2010
Central Iowa
I love everyone that wears the cardinal and gold, but I'm having a really hard time seeing how Babb is anything more than a 6th or 7th man.

I'm really excited for Lewis and can't wait to see how CSP retools with all the new pieces.
You could be right. He is a good defender at least. Hoping he takes a jump offensively.

DSM4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 4, 2006
Altoona, IA
It's going to be tough to make the tournament, but I will leave the door open to see what pieces we add. I'm excited for next year and to see the guys develop in the off season. I hope our fans are patient.

I could see us being like OU this year - a lot of losses, but tough, talented, improving. I could also see us turning into the Clyburn team, where we're playing just above or on the bubble. Some talented playmakers, but no one really standing out as a 1st team all-league star. Jackson and Young have a ton of talent/potential and we got to see some of it this year. Excited for Wigginton. Weiler-Babb is an enigma to me. You can see the potential, and he had some outstanding games this year, but the consistency wasn't there. Hoping for big things from Lard with a semester to practice and be in Ames.

• Agree
Reactions: Doc

Skyh13

Mar 17, 2006
I very much doubt ISU makes the tourney next year, which doesn't help the sting from this game.

But you never know. At this point there are just too many unknowns, and it'd be unfair to expect anything.

CYber_saber

Mar 2, 2017
Need to build a team that is balanced in all departments...coz thats what can take us all the way to the final four

mb7299

Mar 15, 2013
Iowa Falls
A big question for us is what will be the match up we exploit to get our offense going, we've pretty much used the Niang/Burton match up nightmare the last few years to get things really clicking. Kane as a post worked well as well. In a lot of ways I like the small four man look, its whats got us to the tournament the past 6 years, I hope we stick to it but have a wing like clyburn that can grab 7 rebounds a game.

marothisu

Jun 15, 2009
NYC
You never know what will happen but my gut feeling is rebuilding year. If we make the NIT with losing this awesome group of seniors, then I'll be very happy.

What will be interesting is that if someone leaves the program (let's say someone like Jakolby Long) and we get a transfer who can play right away. The program has done that a number of times. Didn't work out very well this year in the end, but still gave some good minutes.

DSM4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 4, 2006
Altoona, IA
Naz's first year wasn't spectacular, and he didn't show the flashes Babb has. Kid has some tools.

This is a great point. I remember watching Naz that first year and wondering if he'd be asked to transfer out. It was rough. You knew Georges was going to be really good, but Naz was really awful. His growth in a single year was one of the greatest I've ever seen by a Cyclone.

digZ

Sep 2, 2011
Colorado
My guess is that we have a shot to be a bubble/high seed type team next year, maybe in the vein of Oklahoma State or Michigan, where we can hit a stride near the end of the season after being left for dead by midseason, NIT not out of the question depending on breaks.

The development of Jackson, Young , and Babb giving quality minutes at the end of the season gives me hope, though it was disappointing to see them not get their shot tonight, but that was mostly due to us being in panic mode for nearly the entire game. Losing the production of Monte and Burton offensively is obviously huge, but we might have the opportunity to be even better defensively next year with the development of our young core of Jackson, Young, and Babb.

Wigginton and Lard could be the x factors in terms of how game ready they are could give us a huge boost to possibly make the tourney, vs barely making the NIT.

Best guess? We get better defensively, but much worse on offense, and we probably go to the NIT.

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
rememberingdoria.wordpress.com
This is a great point. I remember watching Naz that first year and wondering if he'd be asked to transfer out. It was rough. You knew Georges was going to be really good, but Naz was really awful. His growth in a single year was one of the greatest I've ever seen by a Cyclone.

I still had doubts until that three to send it to the 3rd OT at Okie State. After that, I believed.
I'm slow.

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
Never too early to talk ISU hoops for next year. I'm looking forward to it already.

We might be down a bit, but I'll never count us out to make the tourney again. I think Prohm will have something up his sleeve for the 3 remaining spots. Wigginton, Lewis, and Lard will be the real deal IMO. Add Jackson, NWB, and Young to that and you already got something right there with 3 more yet to add.

C'mon Juiston! Come to ISU and the Prohmised Land!!

DSM4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 4, 2006
Altoona, IA
I still had doubts until that three to send it to the 3rd OT at Okie State. After that, I believed.
I'm slow.

I think at that point, I was still thinking "oh, here's a better version of John Neal." But the amount of growth to get to that point was big. Then, of course, he proved me wrong again and again. Naz is my favorite Cyclone of all-time. I'd like to buy a beer for that guy someday and just sit and talk Cyclone basketball.

Reactions: MartinCy

DSM4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 4, 2006
Altoona, IA
Never too early to talk ISU hoops for next year. I'm looking forward to it already.

We might be down a bit, but I'll never count us out to make the tourney again. I think Prohm will have something up his sleeve for the 3 remaining spots. Wigginton, Lewis, and Lard will be the real deal IMO. Add Jackson, NWB, and Young to that and you already got something right there with 3 more yet to add.

C'mon Juiston! Come to ISU and the Prohmised Land!!

If we don't look forward, all I'm going to think about is how sad I am right now. This team's run ended too soon. So, back to drinking the Kool-aid and dreaming about our Final Four hopes.

digZ

Sep 2, 2011
Colorado
This ISU team could do some good things next year. I think if we land Juiston and Wigginton is ready from day one that we are a tourney team. I'm a fan of Prohm and trust him and excited to see his own guys next year and how he takes over when it officially becomes his team.

The readiness of Wigginton and Lard, plus any new recruits/grad transfers we can get(Juiston), will be a huge aspect of our season. If Lard is a no go, and Wigginton can't contribute early, we might miss out on post season play. If we get an amazing grad transfer, and Wigginton/Cam Lard end up being great, we could make the tourney with ease. It's a wide window when you lose so many seniors, all you need is one leader. To be honest I see a bit of a fearless leader mentality building in Jackson, hopefully he can keep it going next year.

• Agree
Reactions: Cyhops

UraMallas

Jan 9, 2013
I love everyone that wears the cardinal and gold, but I'm having a really hard time seeing how Babb is anything more than a 6th or 7th man.

I'm really excited for Lewis and can't wait to see how CSP retools with all the new pieces.

Babb looks more athletic than his brother did, imo. He's got the pieces. I hope he can bring it all together.

• Agree
Reactions: discydisc

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron