Update on Big XII Revenue sharing

Clonefan94

Oct 18, 2006
Schaumburg, IL
Winning will get us on TV. We wouldn't be complaining about this if it we could get things back to the way it was at the start of the 2002 season. I think Seneca helped a lot their also, but, until we took the dump against OU, we were on TV a lot. Excitement, winning, you'd be surprised who that brings knocking on your door. Plus, we'd be a good story. I know, it takes money to win, winning to make money etc. I'm not trying to start that debate. We will never be the main show if Texas or OU is playing anyone decent. I know that too. But if we could get a little spark going here, we'll be on TV.

Indyclone

Jan 24, 2008
This is exactly why we need a Big 12 network. Some of you are quick to rip the Big 10 network, but Iowa is getting around 7 million annually from that. Imagine what we could do with a guaranteed 7 mill for the next 20 years or how ever long the BTN contract runs.

CompCy

Apr 7, 2006
Ames
This is exactly why we need a Big 12 network. Some of you are quick to rip the Big 10 network, but Iowa is getting around 7 million annually from that. Imagine what we could do with a guaranteed 7 mill for the next 20 years or how ever long the BTN contract runs.

Imagine a lot of us not being able to see the Cyclones because Mediacom wouldn't carry the channel. :no:

theshadow

Apr 19, 2006
Imagine a lot of us not being able to see the Cyclones because Mediacom wouldn't carry the channel. :no:

I think every other conference that decides to have its own network (and it will likely head that direction in the next 5-8 years for BCS leagues) will know what NOT to do because of the BTN. The other leagues will ensure they have agreements with cable conglomerates BEFORE launching, thereby not having to pull strongarm tactics to get their stuff on the air.

EggMcClone

Mar 19, 2006
Michigan
mylifeinthebasement.blogspot.com
If equal sharing is good enough for the Big 10 and the ACC why not the Big 12?

The truth is we're probably arguing over a sum that would end up being about an extra $1.5 million for a school like ISU. Not astronomical but it would help some. However, the issue comes in that it gives schools like Texas and Nebraska a reason to look out for their own interests over those of the conference as a whole. When the issue of a Big 12 Network came up THEY were the ones that were opposed because they thought it would cut into THEIR revenue despite how lucrative it appears to be for the conference as a whole. Their schools are on TV every week so they also have less incentive to get a better TV contract or at least allow the rest of us to try different options. Instead THEY set it up so no other Big 12 games can go against THEIR games in that time slot.

wartknight

Mar 24, 2006
Yes, I was talking about DA, who I believed the original poster was referencing as well.

jaretac

Nov 26, 2006
Frigidaire
I can't believe that there are people who think we should switch to the Big10. Lets switch to the wealthiest conference in the nation- we won't be on the bottom then.

The only good thing about switching is that ISU will become more of a power school if we go Big10. Our womens BB team would win all the conference titles. Men's BB would win a few more games and football would do much better. I think I just talked myself into it- even though it would be taking a step back.

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
rememberingdoria.wordpress.com
I can't believe that there are people who think we should switch to the Big10. Lets switch to the wealthiest conference in the nation- we won't be on the bottom then.

The only good thing about switching is that ISU will become more of a power school if we go Big10. Our womens BB team would win all the conference titles. Men's BB would win a few more games and football would do much better. I think I just talked myself into it- even though it would be taking a step back.

Instead of a step back, look at it as a selfless sacrifice. We take a step back, but they take a step up.

HandSanitizer

Apr 19, 2006
Bondurant, IA
We join and the west forms.
Iowa, ISU, Minny, Wis, Illinois, and Michigan

East.
Penn State, MSU, OSU, Indiana, Northwestern, Purdue

We are on TV all the time and we get a ton of money.
The best part is.................
we could have a crappy record like iowa and go to a decent bowl game because iowa is not fighting south teams for bowl games.

If you where a bowl rep and wanted to sell tickets to your game who are you going to pick to go to the alamo bowl in texas if all these teams had a 7-5 record? Texas, Texas Tech, Baylor, A$M or ISU.

Or In the Big 10..
Would you pick Iowa, Northwestern, Minny, Purdue, Indiana.

I really think ISU would be considered a good bid in the big 10 compared to Minny, Purdue, MSU, Indiana, Northwestern etc.
Right now we are the most northern team in a money hungry south driven conf.. Just my opinion though

Last edited:

Skyh13

Mar 17, 2006
Yeah, as much as some people scoff at the idea, considering how most people in the Big XII feel about the Big 10, if ISU were to switch conferences over there it'd probably be about the best thing that could happen to ISU athletics. We'd be going to a weaker, but overall rich conference which is consistently overrated. I would say there would be significantly better TV coverage, however the Big 10 Network doesn't exactly cut it.

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
We join and the west forms.
Iowa, ISU, Minny, Wis, Illinois, and Michigan

East.
Penn State, MSU, OSU, Indiana, Northwestern, Purdue

We are on TV all the time and we get a ton of money.
The best part is.................
we could have a crappy record like iowa and go to a decent bowl game because iowa is not fighting south teams for bowl games.

If you where a bowl rep and wanted to sell tickets to your game who are you going to pick to go to the alamo bowl in texas if all these teams had a 7-5 record? Texas, Texas Tech, Baylor, A$M or ISU.

Or In the Big 10..
Would you pick Iowa, Northwestern, Minny, Purdue, Indiana.

I really think ISU would be considered a good bid in the big 10 compared to Minny, Purdue, MSU, Indiana, Northwestern etc.
Right now we are the most northern team in a money hungry south driven conf.. Just my opinion though

That's an interesting picture.
Would this lower Iowa from our "Super Bowl", if it's just a divisional game?

jaretac

Nov 26, 2006
Frigidaire
Here is a philosophical question: if ISU drops the Big12 and joins the Big10, would the Big10 then be the Big12 and the Big12 the Big10? Really, we won't be switching conferences at all, we will still be in the big12. Think about it. :wink:

MontyBurns

Jan 27, 2008
Hold on guys. I'm just as big of homer as the next guy, but do we really deserve to make money off Texas playing OU on National TV?

Does Iowa deserve to make money off Ohio State playing Michigan? Does Duke deserve to make money off Florida State playing Clemson? Does Vanderbilt deserve to make money off Florida playing LSU?

Deserve it or not, that's how 90% of the other BCS schools get their revenue. That's the way it works in every conference except ours.

LindenCy

Kevin Dresser Fan Club
Staff member
Mar 19, 2006
Chicago, IL
Basically the Big XII likes to kiss the butt of Texas (UT). They are loaded and keep getting richer. What those south schools from Texas seem to forget is that there is a reason they joined us. They weren't in such a power conference themselves.

MontyBurns

Jan 27, 2008
The other leagues will ensure they have agreements with cable conglomerates BEFORE launching, thereby not having to pull strongarm tactics to get their stuff on the air.

BTN had an agreement with DirectTV or they wouldn't have launched.

If and when the Big 12 Network launches, they will for sure have agreements with at least a satellite company and probably the major cable companies in most big Texas cities and probably Oklahoma as well. There is just too much customer demand there to ignore. Don't expect much from Mediacom when the time comes.

LindenCy

Kevin Dresser Fan Club
Staff member
Mar 19, 2006
Chicago, IL
Ahh, the Old SWC, where everybody took their turn on probation.:smile:

Honestly, the whole point of the Big XII was to help both the Big 8 and the Texas schools, but somehow that is now lost. I would be ok going Big 10 honestly, but I don't think we would really have a chance at it.

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
Honestly, the whole point of the Big XII was to help both the Big 8 and the Texas schools, but somehow that is now lost. I would be ok going Big 10 honestly, but I don't think we would really have a chance at it.

Right. It did bring some nice national exposure. Maybe if we just go ahead, win the North in football, win the Championship game, and then go ahead and win the Big XII tournament in MBB, we'll break that Texas momentum.

The Texas schools have benefitted the most, it seems to me.