Underwood to Illinois - Prohm Now Lowest Paid

kingcy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 16, 2006
Menlo, Iowa
This is the million dollar question. She left her hometown, family and friends. Steve's comment that "she gave up a lot" to allow him to be the coach here is telling. I lived in the south for a number of years and I can guarantee the move to Ames was a big adjustment for her and to a lesser extent, Steve.
Yes, we need to pay him fairly, but whether or not momma is happy is key. There are a lot of schools in the south that could pay decent money down the road, if they choose to "go back home".

Yes there are schools that can pay him, but few give him a good basketball situation like ISU does. The foundation is here and if he keeps getting good players he can keep this rolling. One thing that is in ISU favor is CSP isn't a flashy guy or look at me guy that will put him at the top of a lot of ADs hire lists, kind of an under the radar guy. Yes you have to keep him and the wife happy, but if you can this is a good fit for him, as well as a good situation. That being said I am glad the Indiana job is open this year and not in a year or 2.

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
1. The Rhoads contract wasn't quite as bad as a lot of you seem to think. He was still making **** money as far as Big 12 coaches go and the years weren't anything crazy considering we went to 3 bowl games in 4 years. It didn't work out, but that was a necessary thing at the time.

2. The only reason a competent person wouldn't increase the years on Prohm's contract would be if you were trying to get him to leave.

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
Underwood took a bad team and made it really good. Prohm already had a good team to start with. Nobody is going to offer him another job until he proves he can win with his own players and not be carried by 2 of the all time greats at isu who were hoibergs players

That's such ********. Underwood didn't recruit a one of those Oklahoma State players. They were good before he got there. He was able to coach them better than Ford.

Prom kicked Underwood's ass 3 times this year.

BBHMagic

Oct 15, 2009
Does anyone know what kind of relationship Prohm has with Pollard? Do they get along well?

I don't know the answer but they both seem like similar guys to me. With no offense intended because I like them both, they're both kinda dorky which is among their most endearing qualities. They're both religious and very family oriented.

I would be surprised to hear they don't get along very well.

• Agree
Reactions: Acylum

BBHMagic

Oct 15, 2009
In just two years, Prohm has shown us a lot. First, he's shown us he can coach. For me, this season was an over achievement. In basketball, you have front court and back court players and for half the season we didn't even have half of that equation. We developed and overcame.

Also look at the development of Thomas and Burton. Look at Thomas stats under Hoiberg and then look at them under Prohm. Massive difference. Burton was a player that few had any hope for and he turned into one of the most consistently amazing players in the Big XII.

Prohm has also shown us he can recruit. Our class is ranked 29th (according to 247) and there's a couple of good juco's we could still be adding.

The thing Prohm has yet to prove is if he can construct a team. That was Hoiberg's best quality I think. Hoiberg rarely landed the top prep players he wanted but he was great at filling needed spots and coming into the season with the needed pieces. Texas had a bunch of fantastic players this year but was no good because their team was poorly constructed and had major deficiencies. If Prohm can show that he not only gets good players but the right players than he's a gem.

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
rememberingdoria.wordpress.com
Especially now, when we're losing a ton. Losing Prohm now would be crippling to the program. Between the seniors, likely loss of recruits, and transfers, we'd be decimated if he left. Prohm knows it. His agent knows it. And most importantly Pollard knows it. You don't mess around with the basketball program. Not with how far we've come. Give the man some money. This is not the time to be cheap.

Exactly. Losing Prohm now guts the program. We're not in the driver's seat here. Just pay the man what he asks for.

• Winner
Reactions: riceville98

19clone91

Nov 21, 2013
Denver, CO
If ISU ever wants to get out of the athletic basement we have been in for decades we cannot have the lowest paid coaches in the Big 12 in football and mens basketball. Clearly, basketball has turned it around and football seems to be heading that way. But having our basketball coach making the least amount of 10 teams, and football coach the second least (only to KU) is straight up embarrassing and is not a recipe for long-term success IMO.

• Winner
Reactions: isufbcurt

Stormin

Apr 11, 2006
IMO , let's see how next year goes before getting carried away with extensions and such.

Prohm earned some good bonuses this year. Things were looking pretty iffy at the end of January and the team and Prohm responded. But what would have the reaction been if we had tanked. The OT game at Kansas was a difference maker.

I would take a wait and see approach. If we had made the Sweet Sixteen or Elite Eight maybe extend. But we didn't.

Last edited:

cyIclSoneU

Apr 7, 2016
If ISU ever wants to get out of the athletic basement we have been in for decades we cannot have the lowest paid coaches in the Big 12 in football and mens basketball. Clearly, basketball has turned it around and football seems to be heading that way. But having our basketball coach making the least amount of 10 teams, and football coach the second least (only to KU) is straight up embarrassing and is not a recipe for long-term success IMO.

Iowa State has the smallest athletic budget in the Big 12. I believe ISU also fields the minimum number of sports required by the conference. So at some point something's gotta give. With ISU's athletics budget it would be very difficult to have both Prohm and Campbell in the top half of the conference in their respective sports. With that said Prohm should get a bump with more years soon. But we should be realistic with our expectations money-wise.

• Agree
Reactions: besserheimerphat

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
IMO , let's see how next year goes before getting carried away with extensions and such.

Prohm earned some good bonuses this year. Things were looking pretty iffy at the end of January and the team and Prohm responded. But what would have the reaction been if we had tanked. The OT game at Kansas was a difference maker.

I would take a wait and see approach. If we had made the Sweet Sixteen or Elite Eight maybe extend. But we didn't.

How do you suggest he recruit with only 3 years left on his contract?

• Winner
Reactions: Yellow Snow

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
Prohm would continue to recruit just fine. It's the guys recruiting against him we would have to worry about

That's my point. Unless you are trying to push out a coach, you cannot have him with less than 4 years on a contract.

Brad Underwood is going to Illinois for $3 million per year for 7 years. Brad Underwood was maybe slightly more successful than Prohm at his mid-major/low major school. Brad Underwood was less successful at Oklahoma State with quite a bit of talent.

Rural

Feb 3, 2010
Underwood took a bad team and made it really good. Prohm already had a good team to start with. Nobody is going to offer him another job until he proves he can win with his own players and not be carried by 2 of the all time greats at isu who were hoibergs players

Underwood may have taken a bad team upward but he also found out about the clause requiring him to play three-jacking midgets.

Last edited:
  • Funny
Reactions: CyberJJJ

Boxerdaddy

Oct 19, 2009
Beaverdale, IA
Yeah, no. Hoiberg left, and left us hanging. If there's an opening i'm sure he'd be welcomed back, but we arent firing Prohm to bring back Hoiberg.

This may be heresy, but I don't think there's any way Hoiberg takes this team to the dance this year. IMHO, it's defense that allowed us to remain in games until our offense caught fire. Just my opinion. Not saying Prohm is better, or Hoiberg better...different coaches. But we actually played defense this year and in my opinion, that won us some games.

isutrevman

Jan 30, 2007
Ames, IA

We offered him a job after he took a good Murray State team, and kept them good. His coaching job this season is all the evidence I need. Pay the man.

isutrevman

Jan 30, 2007
Ames, IA
Iowa State has the smallest athletic budget in the Big 12. I believe ISU also fields the minimum number of sports required by the conference. So at some point something's gotta give. With ISU's athletics budget it would be very difficult to have both Prohm and Campbell in the top half of the conference in their respective sports. With that said Prohm should get a bump with more years soon. But we should be realistic with our expectations money-wise.

If you continue to pay the 9th or 10th highest salary, you should expect to finish 9th or 10th most years. For all the stink people made about Rhoad's contract, we essentially got what we paid for. Big time coaches take big time $$. Prohm has no connections keeping him here. Quite frankly he'd be stupid not to leave if he gets a big pay raise somewhere else. I think he's a good enough coach/recruiter to win in a lot of places, not just here.

• Agree
Reactions: riceville98

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron