Underwood to Illinois - Prohm Now Lowest Paid

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

kingcy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 16, 2006
Menlo, Iowa
It has to be in the works. Pollard extended McDermott and was going go extend Chizik after lesser results.

Gorm

With any luck we will be there by Tuesday.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 6, 2010
Cedar Rapids, IA
Wow...that says a lot of Okie Lite. Is ILL even that much better or is this literally all about the benjamins?

CloneInLA

Mar 7, 2017
Wow...that says a lot of Okie Lite. Is ILL even that much better or is this literally all about the benjamins?
Probably all about money...and respect. Rumor is Holder promised to give him a raise if he won, he did and there was no talk of more money. Probably felt slighted and $2.5 mil more is a big raise. Plus a lot more instate talent

Yellow Snow

Full of nonsense....
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 19, 2006
Osage, IA
It's insane how people seem to not understand how this works. Someone out there will pay Steve Prohm if we don't.

Not only that... if we don't extend him every other coach out there will be able to tell recruits that Prohm is not guaranteed to be here for said recruits entire career.

An extension is critical for recruiting. The ONLY time you let a coaches contract time line fall short of a recruiting cycle (four/five years) is if you are not sure you want to keep the coach.

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
$3.5 million feels like a lot for a guy who had only moderate success (fifth-place in conference, zero postseason wins) with some pretty top-shelf talent left by the previous regime in Evans, Forte, and Carroll, and not much coming in on his first real recruiting class.

Prohm would have deserved it more -- yes, Hoiberg left the cupboard pretty full, too, but Prohm has done more with it, and patched holes in the roster with guys like Jackson and Young with brighter futures, and has recruited at a much higher level so far in comparison.

Giving Prohm 1-2 more years and a salary boost is justified at this point, however, definitely. If the recruiting keeps up (and particularly in the post, got to plug that gap sometime and somehow) and next year's team is trending upwards at the end, then lock him in good.

Cat Stevens

Mar 7, 2017
$3.5 million feels like a lot for a guy who had only moderate success (fifth-place in conference, zero postseason wins) with some pretty top-shelf talent left by the previous regime in Evans, Forte, and Carroll, and not much coming in on his first real recruiting class.

Not to make this political, but for every talking point against living wages, and allowing the market to determine salary expectations, here you go.

cyfamily

Mar 19, 2015
We all like to feel appreciated, and coaches are no different. Coach Prohm has been an excellent coach (in a difficult situation ) and a great representative of ISU. His recruiting looks very good also. Raise and extension is warranted.

acgclone

Feb 21, 2007
All the people wanting it to be incentive laden don't have a clue how the real world works. Coaches (and their agents) want guaranteed money, not a "well if you do well we'll double your base in incentives." Cripes, we're not hiring a damn sales consultant.

Prohm's not stupid. He knows next year will likely be a rebuilding year. He's going to want guaranteed money like all his other peers.

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
Not to make this political, but for every talking point against living wages, and allowing the market to determine salary expectations, here you go.

I am all for somebody getting themselves paid.

But "the market" is imperfect -- very likely better than anything else we can come up with to distribute resources, but it is not like nobody ever makes a mistake in a transaction.

My point -- I think UIUC might be overpaying here, if not rather severely.

• Agree
Reactions: CTTB78

Cat Stevens

Mar 7, 2017
I am all for somebody getting themselves paid.

But "the market" is imperfect -- very likely better than anything else we can come up with to distribute resources, but it is not like nobody ever makes a mistake in a transaction.

My point -- I think UIUC might be overpaying here, if not rather severely.

That contract was what Illinois was willing to pay. The timing shows that this had been the coach they targeted when they decided to make the change.

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013
For the most part you can either be ahead of the curve a bit or overpay. If you wait until you are 95% sure your coach is your long term solution to lock him up long term, be prepared for a bidding war.
Nationally Prohm has a good rep for what he's done here. If he has a good year, as in being in bubble talk late in the season, he will be a hot commodity.

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
That contract was what Illinois was willing to pay. The timing shows that this had been the coach they targeted when they decided to make the change.

You don't think a school has ever overpaid for a coach?

Just saying -- I like Underwood, and he is a "good hire" for them in a vacuum, but I am just not sure about that price tag. A lot for a guy who has not proven that much.

acgclone

Feb 21, 2007
Noticed where Prohm is a potential candidate at LSU. I have also heard that he said years ago that LSU was his "dream job". Jamie, lock him up now!!

When you compare what Prohm has been able to do in his first two years to some of the bigger name coaches in the SEC (Kennedy, Bruce Pearl, Ben Howland, Mike Anderson, Frank Martin)..... ISU has to look like a good career move.

Even with all the talent those guys have landed, they're not exactly lighting the world on fire.

erikbj

Aug 31, 2006
hiawatha, ia
Give him a raise to middle of the conference pay - but don't give him the Rhoads or McDoormat contract that makes it impossible to get out of

If next year looks good - then extend him

Also got to remember who the other coaches are in the conference, its of big names with lots of success