Underwood to Illinois - Prohm Now Lowest Paid

SpokaneCY

Apr 11, 2006
Spokane, WA
For the good of the entire AD we need Campbell to worth that number.

Football is EVERYTHING. We must have a respectable football program next time the conference shake up comes around

I think we need a top 10 TV market next time conference shake-up happens.

harimad

Jul 28, 2016
Illinois
giphy.gif

cyclones12321

Feb 21, 2009
Newton Ia
Next season is important for Prohm's rating after losing the winningest seniors this year. If he can make it to post-season then sure double his pay or even more. But a raise this year could appreciate his efforts and motivation
Agreed he gets very good incentive if he wins in the tournament. Next year will be a raise year if we do good

acgclone

Feb 21, 2007
Agreed he gets very good incentive if he wins in the tournament. Next year will be a raise year if we do good

Are you saying you still need to see more before he's raised above 10th place in the B12?

If he takes next year's team to the dance, we may not even have a chance to make it right if he's displeased with JP from this offseason.

CySmurf

Jul 14, 2011
I'm OK with giving him a decent raise, and maybe another year extension. He deserves it after turning this team around in February and getting them to peak at the right time. But remember that these are mostly very good seniors that he did not recruit.

Next year would be the year to see if he's going to be the guy that we should be throwing top-tier Big 12 money at. If he can take us to the NCAA's again next year, then yes, give him everything he's worth.
I understand where you're coming from but next year's team will be extremely young...it's possible we could have a year like Lon Kruger did at Oklahoma. The Sooners will probably be pretty good next year and even better the next. Even Kruger had growing pains with the young talent. I'd hate to assess Prohm incorrectly if his team doesn't make the tournament next year. Pay him a raise now and an extension in a year or 2 if it warrents.

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
rememberingdoria.wordpress.com
Are you saying you still need to see more before he's raised above 10th place in the B12?

If he takes next year's team to the dance, we may not even have a chance to make it right if he's displeased with JP from this offseason.

It's the "need to see more" crowd that keep ISU from having nice things. Gotta play the game if you want to win.

DSM4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 4, 2006
Altoona, IA
I understand where you're coming from but next year's team will be extremely young...it's possible we could have a year like Lon Kruger did at Oklahoma. The Sooners will probably be pretty good next year and even better the next. Even Kruger had growing pains with the young talent. I'd hate to assess Prohm incorrectly if his team doesn't make the tournament next year. Pay him a raise now and an extension in a year or 2 if it warrents.

He needs an extension to guarantee at least 4 more years (new players - full college tenure). That's only adding 1 year onto his current deal. I'd be totally fine adding 2 years and raising his salary to about $2 mil/per. He's earned it. Next year's team is a wash - I have no expectations other than playing hard and improving. If we make the tourney, that's a huge bonus.

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
rememberingdoria.wordpress.com
He needs an extension to guarantee at least 4 more years (new players - full college tenure). That's only adding 1 year onto his current deal. I'd be totally fine adding 2 years and raising his salary to about $2 mil/per. He's earned it. Next year's team is a wash - I have no expectations other than playing hard and improving. If we make the tourney, that's a huge bonus.

I expect we make the tournament. Good talent with a good coach. He'll get it done.

DSM4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 4, 2006
Altoona, IA
I expect we make the tournament. Good talent with a good coach. He'll get it done.

I like your optimism. Jackson and Young will be solid returning pieces. Weiler-Babb has shown flashes of potential. I like what I've seen and read about with Wigginton, but he'll still be a freshman. It's so hard to know what will happen because we'll have a ton of new pieces to put together. Lard is a wildcard. Could be a rough start to the year. I'm confident they will improve, and there's talent there.

Hard for me to expect a tourney appearance - would be really happy if we can make that happen. It could be easier with Okie State losing Underwood and possibly Evans - there's one team I thought would be up that we can stay above in the standings. Weber staying at K-State helps us out too.

cyIclSoneU

Apr 7, 2016
People seem to forget how fragile a good thing can be. Look at McDermott or Lickliter. Those were thought to be good hires. They tanked the programs they went to.

Prohm has not had his own guys yet, to be sure, but just the way he has reoriented this team beginning with the game @ KU shows that he is a guy we should make an effort to keep happy. Not necessarily a $40 million over 10 years deal but certainly more than the 10th-best contract in a 10-team conference.

Mr Janny

Welcome to the Office of Secret Intelligence
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006

This 100 times. You don't have to be a fortune teller to see that Prohm deserves more than 10th in the big 12. We all just saw what can happen. Don't let the lesson OSU just learned, happen to us. Pay the man.

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
It will?

So your solution is to react right now after seeing Prohm coach Hoiberg's players and not wait at all to see how things go with his own players?

He doesn't have to be the highest in conference, but he sure as hell shouldn't be last.

Give him 3 more years and 2 million per year.

cyclone2001

Feb 26, 2012
Next years team will be all Prohm and built in his style. We will see what he does and then consider his pay raise and contract length. Don't pull a CPR.

robkuhl588

Jul 11, 2014
I agree we need to give a raise ... my question, if we advance past Purdue, elite 8, final four or championship how does that effect the pay scale?

Also, what is top pay (top couple) in the big 12? I'm assuming self but I don't really have a clue with numbers.

scyclonekid

Feb 13, 2008
Depends on what happens still this year I'd say talk about pay increases and see what happens with his recruited players. He has done a really good job this year and should be paid at where we finished in conference play. So bump in pay yes. Just no huge money extensions like Rhoads.

cytor

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 20, 2011
Definitely should get a bump in pay and an extension. I think Freddy was getting $2.5 mil before leaving?

cstrunk

Mar 21, 2006
Longview, TX

I understand, and I'm not saying if we tank next year that he deserves to be on the hot seat. Because he won't deserve that. I've questioned Prohm this season and at times last season but this turnaround has me on his team now. He is doing things well and the right way. I'm just saying we don't want to reward him too much for the past two seasons just like we don't want to punish him next season if things don't go our way. But, if he can pull a rabbit out of his hat and continue our NCAA Tournament appearance run, then I think it will answer a lot of questions about whether or not he is our guy for the long-haul. Then you can think about throwing a much bigger contract at him. If next year isn't that great, it's still OK and we'll see what he can do to change that and set his contract accordingly.

But I am still on board with giving him a pay raise and another year, right now.