Turmoil in the Pac-12 ... moving on from Larry Scott?

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

Mr Janny

Welcome to the Office of Secret Intelligence
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
I can remember not that long ago when he was heralded as a forward thinker and genius at his position. Held up there with Jim Delaney and others one of the power brokers of college sports. He has fallen quite a bit

KnappShack

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 26, 2008
Parts Unknown
I really enjoyed PAC football when I lived in the same time zone. The matchups, venues, tradition (not CU or Utah) are well established.

The addition of the 2 teams didn't bring a ton of value as a fan.

They have **** the bed with media payouts even with the LA, SF, and Seattle markets. I know LA isn't a "sports town" but it's the second largest market in America who loves to follow a winner...

Poor job by the PAC in playing their hand

Pat

Oct 20, 2011
I love that he moved the offices to downtown San Francisco and then bought a house in Danville, which, at BEST, is an utterly miserable hour commute each way. Great restaurants, though.

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
I love that he moved the offices to downtown San Francisco and then bought a house in Danville, which, at BEST, is an utterly miserable hour commute each way. Great restaurants, though.

Wouldn’t be shocked in they had a helicopter.

cykadelic2

Jun 10, 2006
It is almost inevitable that the PACN will be sold to a new entrant (e.g. Amazon, Google, Apple) in premium live sports production. Apple has reportedly already inquired and Amazon has hired a live sports production exec. The P12 schools need the cash badly. Scott will lose his job if that sale transpires.

The content quality that PACN produces is very good. What has killed them are the excessive operating expenses that Canzano describes as well as the network's distribution issues and lack of leverage as an independent operator.

If PACN is sold to a new entrant, that newbie will likely target the B12 as well in an alliance or merger scenario with the P12 to extend their primary geographic footprint and add premium content inventory. They would also likely bid on NFL rights. Given that the SEC and ACC are tied to the hip with ESPN/Disney for the foreseeable future and the B10 is primarily tied up to Fox/BTN, that leaves the P12 and B12 as legit available targets for a new entrant. And if a new entrant would acquire the P12/B12 rights, they could potentially sublicense OTA rights to CBS, who needs to replace their weekly SEC GOTW that is moving to ESPN/ABC.

Last edited:

KnappShack

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 26, 2008
Parts Unknown
It is almost inevitable that the PACN will be sold to a new entrant (e.g. Amazon, Google, Apple) in premium live sports production. Apple has reportedly already inquired and Amazon had hired a live sports production exec. The P12 schools need the cash badly. Scott will lose his job if that sale transpires.

The content quality that PACN produces is very good. What has killed them are the excessive operating expenses that Canzano describes as well as the network's distribution issues and lack of leverage as an independent operator.

If PACN is sold to a new entrant, that newbie will likely target the B12 as well in an alliance or merger scenario with the P12 to extend their primary geographic footprint and add premium content inventory. They would also likely bid on NFL rights. Given that the SEC and ACC are tied to the hip with ESPN/Disney for the foreseeable future and the B10 is primarily tied up to Fox/BTN, that leaves the P12 and B12 as legit available targets for a new entrant. And if a new entrant would acquire the P12/B12 rights, they could potentially sublicense OTA rights to CBS, who needs to replace their weekly SEC GOTW that is moving to ESPN/ABC.

We are going to fall for that BS again....

cykadelic2

Jun 10, 2006
We are going to fall for that BS again....
If the money is right from a new entrant, the B12 will likely have no choice but to enter into a merger or alliance. It won't happen as long as Scott is P12 Commish but if he is fired, the odds of it happening significantly increase.

Need to keep in mind that the B12 previously explored a full alliance/merger after Scott attemped to poach 6 original B12 schools:

https://sports.cbsimg.net/images/collegefootball/Big-12-Pac-12-Strategic-Alliance-Document.pdf

ArgentCy

Jan 13, 2010

I'm very suspicious of any organization that is not that large but wants to be right downtown of these major cities. That is a status move to try and swing above your weight.

Clonehomer

Apr 11, 2006
I'm very suspicious of any organization that is not that large but wants to be right downtown of these major cities. That is a status move to try and swing above your weight.

It's the dress for the job you want, not the job you have principle. Sometimes though, $2,000 suits don't make sense for the person in the mail room.

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
I know the answers, I'll take the job.
The first step for the PAC is to fire Larry Scott.
The second step for the PAC is to get out of their shiny new HQ.
Third step is to get their games onto time slots where Central and Eastern time zones see their games.

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013
I don't think it can overstated what an absolutely failure the PAC has been in recent years. There were YEARS of TV revenue that were dependent on having Cable/Satellite subscribers more than anything else. The PAC has big TV markets. With something even approaching competence the PAC should've made huge money in the 00s and 10s.

As revenue becomes more and more dependent on actual viewership they are screwed. I can understand that moving forward in the current environment the PAC is in a tougher position than probably all the other major conferences. However, there is zero excuse for them not absolutely cleaning up during the dinosaur days of cable/satellite subscriber dependence.

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013
I know the answers, I'll take the job.

They need to rig it so USC or UCLA win the south and probably Oregon win the North. Better make sure they are all 0 or 1 loss teams going into the title game too. Can't have Utah winning the South.

Pat

Oct 20, 2011

3GenClone

Jun 28, 2009
Des Moines
Oliver Luck would be a slam-dunk hire to run the PAC12. He knows how the NCAA operates, has GM experience, and most importantly understands that there is value of other PAC12 brands and that it's not all about USC.

cykadelic2

Jun 10, 2006
Oliver Luck would be a slam-dunk hire to run the PAC12. He knows how the NCAA operates, has GM experience, and most importantly understands that there is value of other PAC12 brands and that it's not all about USC.
Agree. Luck has also been mentioned to replace Mark Emmert but he would be more useful and wield more power as P12 Commish than NCAA President due to control of FB TV deals. Luck would also be a positive asset for the B12 in any alliance or merger scenarios.