TUNING UP THE SECONDARY COVERAGE FOR WVU

Montgomery-Magic

Oct 17, 2017
With the number of longballs we got beat with against by Cornelius, I am thankful that we were able to hang tit for tat and pulled off the W. An interesting story-line could be growth for our safeties ahead of WVU. Is it just me or do we have a ton of room for improvement in the secondary? I think I am not alone in looking for the upset next week in Ames partly because of big strides with our secondary thanks to OSU.

Reactions: khardbored

srjclone

Nov 17, 2014
Downtown Minneapolis
With the number of longballs we got beat with against by Cornelius, I am thankful that we were able to hang tit for tat and pulled off the W. An interesting story-line could be growth for our safeties ahead of WVU. Is it just me or do we have a ton of room for improvement in the secondary? I think I am not alone in looking for the upset next week in Ames partly because of big strides with our secondary thanks to OSU.
Our safety coverage has been less than stellar. I do like Eisworth a lot though, his play kinda reminds me of the way Harrison Smith flies around the field. It is just those handful of plays that allow a receiver to run free that need to be cleaned up.

I was reading an article, can't remember which, that was talking about the pressure ISU brought and that being somewhat of an outlier for our Heacock led D's. We did it because we respected that if Cornelius had the time to sit back there, they would eventually get open/Cornelius would wait all day if he had to, and the extra coverage would be a negative in the long run. Bringing the pressure allowed the ISU line to force Cornelius into uncomfortable situations, and take his eyes off of downfield.

I do think that Will Grier assumes that his arm can do whatever he wants it to do, which it can more often than not, but that gunslinger mentality causes him to not wait as long for things to develop and force things that may not be needed. Because of that, I would expect ISU to fall back into the extra DB look, and continue with the 3 man front, trying to mitigate those long plays(moreso than this past Saturday) that WVU has loved so much.

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
Amateur opinion, but I think it's a combination of the safeties leaning forward to help stop the run and intentionally going without help over the top to bring pressure at times. It's not like we repeatedly got beat deep, but they did have a bunch of big offensive plays. Our big defensive plays (sacks, tackles for loss) helped to balance it out.

cyyote15

Nov 3, 2013
Sioux Falls, SD
Another factor that may be in ISU's favor is the weather. Early reports show that it could be wet and rainy. I could see that really slowing down West Virginia's offense too.

ScottyP

Special Teams Coordinator
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 24, 2007
Urbandale, IA
The Defense has really struggled on third down, especially early in games. Oklahoma State converted multiple third downs of more than ten yards.

FinalFourCy

Mar 5, 2017
Our back 7 can definitely tighten up in pass coverage, but some of those were great passes by the Cornelius and plays by WRs. That one over Spears and between the DBs (down at the 1 yard line) for example. Of course, Grier and WVU are just as talented, probably more so under duress and getting the ball out quickly.

What we cannot have are the freebies. It’s a team effort, but the safeties will need to improve coverage.

Clonefan94

Oct 18, 2006
Schaumburg, IL
The Defense has really struggled on third down, especially early in games. Oklahoma State converted multiple third downs of more than ten yards.

And the announcers Saturday were sure to remind us of it on every 3rd down. I get it, they had to talk about it, but every time they said it, they acted like it was some new revelation they just figured out and had to let every one know.

TXCyclones

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 13, 2011
TX
I don't mean to be "that guy", but wasn't WVU a sudden downer last year after a few very positive games?

heitclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 21, 2009
Way up there
Our defense is designed to get teams to try to force the ball downfield. Okie St put up big numbers but they never got in to any kind of rhythm. that was a result of their run game being shut down. WV was really good last year about sticking to the run game against our 3 man front. I don't expect them to take a ton of shots deep but they will hit 1 or 2. It's a tough ask to expect to hold WV from scoring, I think it could take similar offensive numbers as last week to win.

Okie St's offense isn't as great as it normally is but Cornelius was throwing darts. Their WR made some tough catches with Peavy and Payne drapped all over them.

flander1649

Apr 20, 2006
Kansas City
Visit site
The majority of the plays I saw of the WVU/KU game KU sat back with 8 in pass coverage and only rushed 3 much like what ISU does a lot of the time. Grier got impatient and tried to force things a lot. Hopefully that plays into ISU's defense and they are able to force some turnovers and frustrates WVU.

• Informative

BWRhasnoAC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2013
Dez Moy Nez
They made a trade off for more pressure. Some of the throws were just really talented and can't be helped. At the same time we could have ran more cover three with a cushioned corner pressure, taking away that zone 3 to the outside. That makes us more susceptible to the under neath routes in the flats, but we have great outside linebackers and the trade off may work well, but it would be more of the keeping things in front us. That means getting ahead of chains to prevent 3rd and short and the easy dump off routes for sustained drives.

In the end it comes down to defensive philosophy. I prefer to bring the pressure and lean on your corners in tighter man coverage but you will get beat with that pressure sometimes. At the same time you can bring more pressure and hopefully influence the throws and timing of routes, causing more turn overs and tackles for loss. Only real solution are bigger bodies which are still as fast as the smaller players.

srjclone

Nov 17, 2014
Downtown Minneapolis
I don't mean to be "that guy", but wasn't WVU a sudden downer last year after a few very positive games?
I feel like that is always how WVU has been since the Tavon Austin days. Bright flashes in the pan, then 1 or 2 complete head scratchers were it looks like a completely different team.

That being said, most all of those teams didn't have great defenses, and if the offense wasn't clicking they were toast.

SCarolinaCy

Jun 20, 2011
Greenville, SC
They made a trade off for more pressure. Some of the throws were just really talented and can't be helped. At the same time we could have ran more cover three with a cushioned corner pressure, taking away that zone 3 to the outside. That makes us more susceptible to the under neath routes in the flats, but we have great outside linebackers and the trade off may work well, but it would be more of the keeping things in front us. That means getting ahead of chains to prevent 3rd and short and the easy dump off routes for sustained drives.

In the end it comes down to defensive philosophy. I prefer to bring the pressure and lean on your corners in tighter man coverage but you will get beat with that pressure sometimes. At the same time you can bring more pressure and hopefully influence the throws and timing of routes, causing more turn overs and tackles for loss. Only real solution are bigger bodies which are still as fast as the smaller players.
We were successful with blitzes against OKS

BWRhasnoAC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2013
Dez Moy Nez
We were successful with blitzes against OKS
I would have liked to see more zone blitz designed to be disguised. That may result in dump off routes being picked off by our athletic defensive ends. It also could result in more sacks due to confusion on the offensive front. Biggest problem with them are screens, they just murder them being some of your pressure is already moving backwards and makes for large voids to vacate and open up huge running space for highly athletic smaller players. Gotta find that right mix and match, and check WVU tendencies to see which defenses are going to work best at which times in the game.

TXCyclones

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 13, 2011
TX
I feel like that is always how WVU has been since the Tavon Austin days. Bright flashes in the pan, then 1 or 2 complete head scratchers were it looks like a completely different team.

That being said, most all of those teams didn't have great defenses, and if the offense wasn't clicking they were toast.

I just looked it up. WVU won 20-16 last year (not as bad as I'd had in my mind) but right on the heals of several solid wins over OU, TCU, KU, TTU. Hopefully this year we can continue the momentum from the OSU game.

• Agree
Reactions: srjclone

BWRhasnoAC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2013
Dez Moy Nez
I just looked it up. WVU won 20-16 last year (not as bad as I'd had in my mind) but right on the heals of several solid wins over OU, TCU, KU, TTU. Hopefully this year we can continue the momentum from the OSU game.
We played terrible in the first half and it looked to be a blow out. The second half we just ran out of time and I feel had there been a few more minutes of game we would have won.

FinalFourCy

Mar 5, 2017
We played terrible in the first half and it looked to be a blow out. The second half we just ran out of time and I feel had there been a few more minutes of game we would have won.
Could not get in from the 1-yard line. We missed a would-be TD when Butler was falsely ruled stopped on an early whistle. On the verge of a comeback, we had a big poor throw/drop by Kempt/Ryen.

Reactions: The_Architect

LarryISU

Feb 10, 2013
Omaha
WV throws a lot of quick-release passes in the 5 to 8 yard range. Grier basically gets the ball and immediately goes into his throwing motion. So this will be a completely different look than what Cornelius gave us. There are great opportunities to jump those quick throws and intercept them. Even Kansas did so. But it will not be easy. We will need to play close to an error-free, low-penalty game to win I think.