TUNING UP THE SECONDARY COVERAGE FOR WVU

Aclone

Dec 14, 2007
Des Moines, Ia.
I’ll let you in on a little secret. The secondary wasbsamdbagging last week, to make WVU overconfident. They’ll tighten the screws Saturday.

Actually, did I hear that Eisworth got hurt Saturday? Just remembered that.

TheJackWePack5

Oct 2, 2011
Ankeny, IA.
The best 'secondary' ISU will offer to WVU Saturday night will be getting pressure up front.

There aren't many secondaries in the country that can hang for long periods of time with what WVU will run out there. Several threats.

FinalFourCy

Mar 5, 2017
The best 'secondary' ISU will offer to WVU Saturday night will be getting pressure up front.

There aren't many secondaries in the country that can hang for long periods of time with what WVU will run out there. Several threats.
That’s what was crazy about Ok St. We had great pressure. 7 sacks plus 5 or 6 QB hurries, and we still got torched a bit. There weren’t necessarily a bunch of wide open guys, and give credit to ok st, but that will need to improve.

Guys will get beat once in awhile, but we can’t give freebies (like Ruth against Akron) and we need to play the ball better. I wonder if we’ll see more Northrup this game at LB, or just two LBs.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
So far in every game the secondary has gotten beat deep and at times in crucial situations...TCU wasn't deep but a late completion in the middle was way too easy/open.

It's the risk/reward thing with bringing pressure but that means they need to be that much more on point.

HardcoreClone

Jul 28, 2006
I loved the extra pressure Heacock brought. I think with guys like Peavy and Payne you have to trust them a bit and put them in some tough m2m cvg situations. Our safeties do have some room to improve in the pass game. Have to get off the field on 3rd downs. Improve field position at the very least, but give our O more opportunities.

I think the most concerning for me was late in the game when we are up, you have to keep everything in front. Peavy got beat for a TD, and wasn't he also the defender on the dropped pass? You have to be smart in those situations, make them earn it with a long drive, not a long play.

• Agree
Reactions: khardbored

FinalFourCy

Mar 5, 2017
So far in every game the secondary has gotten beat deep and at times in crucial situations...TCU wasn't deep but a late completion in the middle was way too easy/open.

It's the risk/reward thing with bringing pressure but that means they need to be that much more on point.
It’s tough to fault them giving up a FG when TCU gets the ball at midfield, but in the context, risk/reward is different than normal. It would have been better to give up a quick TD than bend-don’t-break.

Cornelius had at least two big 3rd down runs for first downs, plus a naked bootleg that Bailey abandoned contain on. Some of the passes were just excellent plays that we don’t have the personnel to stop, but we should be able to stop those runs.

It was one of the best defensive performances I’ve seen for 42 points given up. IIRC 16 TFL including 7 sacks, plus 5 QB hurries, and Hill averaging 2.8 ypc. That should be nearly dominant. Our ball skills are lacking, and it seems like the young guys and Ruth are still learning.

TedKumsher

Aug 30, 2007
Ames
. . . It was one of the best defensive performances I’ve seen for 42 points given up. . . .
Was it one of the best, though? I'd go with lots of exciting big plays. But it would be like the offense having 8 pass plays over 50 yards, 6 runs over 40 yards, 2 kicks returned to the red zone, and 1 punt taken to the house -- all while scoring 7 total points.

FinalFourCy

Mar 5, 2017
Was it one of the best, though? I'd go with lots of exciting big plays. But it would be like the offense having 8 pass plays over 50 yards, 6 runs over 40 yards, 2 kicks returned to the red zone, and 1 punt taken to the house -- all while scoring 7 total points.
Ted, I don’t think we’re agreeing on the meaning of the statement you quoted.

Do you recall a game in which the defense allowed 42 points (or thereabouts) that was a better defensive performance?

• Agree
Reactions: Cyclonepride

TedKumsher

Aug 30, 2007
Ames
Ted, I don’t think we’re agreeing on the meaning of the statement you quoted.

Do you recall a game in which the defense allowed 42 points (or thereabouts) that was a better defensive performance?
In the greater context of this entire thread, I mistakenly took it to mean you thought it was one of the best defensive performances even while allowing 42 points.
Amongst defensive performances allowing 40+ points, I would agree this performance is likely to be one of the best ever across college football all time. Exciting plays. Many great stats. Very few bad stats (like total points allowed). And the team won. At no point in time did I feel like the defense was poor. It didn't feel like the defense gave up 42 points.

awd4cy

Dec 29, 2010
Central Iowa
I’d still take giving up the big play once in awhile over the bend but not break defenses that gave up 10-15 yards every other play.

• Agree
Reactions: spitfyr36

Nolaeer

Nov 24, 2012
I think this game will be a tough hard fought game. I wouldn't read too much into the kansas game as wvu rested 5 starters who were a bit beat up.

Everyone is talking about wvu's offense, but did you know:
1. WVU has the 20th best scoring defense, tops in big 12.
2. WVU's 1st team d held kansas to 14 points.
3. WVU's defense scored the winning td against texas tech.
4. WVU's defense sports 2 5 star dlinemen, the number 2 and number 7 ranked dt's out of high school. Bigelow and Darius Stills.
5. WVU returned all 3 dlinemen from last year and none of them start.
6. WVU's defense features 4 starters who are grad transfers from USC, Clemson, Ohio State, and Michigan.
7. On offense WVU has transfer Will Grier from Florida and TJ simmons from Alabama, and Jovani haskins from Miami.

DH said he wasnt pleased with play calling at texas tech or kansas. Look for him to get more involved in the offense this week. WVU has a beast at rb, true freshman leddy brown who was highly sought after, but DH was on him in 8th grade and he stuck with WVU.

I would expect the unexpected this week-I think wvu goes with te and runs the ball much much more than it passes. WVU's left tackle is listed as a high 1st round pick, and the right tackle is expected to be drafted. I think ISu will see a lot of leddy brown.

• Informative
Reactions: The_Architect