True Grit

Palmer

Jun 10, 2008
Johnston, IA
I was able to see this film last night at a special showing.

What a incredible/great film. Far out shines the original John Wayne take back from '69.

An actual terrific holiday movie to take the family to.

Reactions: cyfanatic

acgclone

Feb 21, 2007
I can't wait to see that. I'm usually not one to run out and see a movie the first week it's out, but I'm going to try to get to this one ASAP.

GeronimusClone

Oct 23, 2008
Des Moines, IA
I never miss a Coen brothers film in the theater. Only way to see them. Excited to get there soon to watch it.
People shouldn't think of it as a remake to the John Wayne film. They never watched it or tried to work off of it. Just used the original book.

GeronimusClone

Oct 23, 2008
Des Moines, IA
I wasn't real interested until I heard it was a Coen brothers film. I go out of my way to try and watch everything they put out.
Have to see it on the big screen to appreciate it. Love how they use landscapes to tell a story.
The parking lot in Fargo sticks out to me when WHM finds out he's not going to get the money from his father-in-law. Also, the open desert in No Country for Old Men.

Cyclone_Grav

Jul 13, 2007
Des Moines
Watching the original now, one of my favorite westerns. I can't wait to see how they compare, The coen bros. said this one is based on the book not the original film.

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
I saw a preview for this in the summer and I must say I am incredibly pumped to watch it. I rarely go to movies in the theater anymore and in fact I really don't enjoy it anymore but I will make an exception for this one. Going to go to it with my dad next week when I'm visiting him for the holidays. I can't wait.

herbicide

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
Ankeny, IA
I know I am going to get a lot of flak for saying this, but I think Bridges makes for a better Marshall than Wayne does. Wayne had too much of a "good guy" quality going for him.

oldman

Nov 5, 2009
Don't know if you've ever seen their first film, Blood Simple, but it's cool to see where they started and a pretty good flick.

I rented Blood Simple probably twentyfive years ago, recommended by a friend. Its probably in my top 10 favorite flicks. M Emmett Walsh is one of my favorite character actors.

Mr Janny

Welcome to the Office of Secret Intelligence
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
I wasn't real interested until I heard it was a Coen brothers film. I go out of my way to try and watch everything they put out.

This. Their filmography reads like a list of my favorite films. Can't wait to see this.

joefrog

Apr 29, 2008
Clive, Iowa
Have to see it on the big screen to appreciate it. Love how they use landscapes to tell a story.
The parking lot in Fargo sticks out to me when WHM finds out he's not going to get the money from his father-in-law. Also, the open desert in No Country for Old Men.

Oh I agree. Also remember the woods scenery in Miller's Crossing. Amazing film.

I believe they are inspired by David Lean, probably the best scenic moviemaker ever.

David Lean - IMDb

I plan on seeing this film soon. Great cast, outside of Matt Damon, but I can hope the rest of them at least carry him.

Ain't no way Jeff Bridges is cooler than Iowa born John Wayne though. Don't go there.

MB4CY

Aug 29, 2009
Norwalk, IA
I'm a big Wayne fan, so I originally wasn't too excited about seeing this film re-made. I have to admit, though, that the previews look pretty good. Looks like Bridges is playing Cogburn with more of an edge than Wayne was able to by that time in his career -- more like Wayne's characters in Red River or The Searchers.

If I don't make it to the theater, it certainly looks good enough for a Redbox.

GeronimusClone

Oct 23, 2008
Des Moines, IA
Oh I agree. Also remember the woods scenery in Miller's Crossing. Amazing film.

I believe they are inspired by David Lean, probably the best scenic moviemaker ever.

David Lean - IMDb

I plan on seeing this film soon. Great cast, outside of Matt Damon, but I can hope the rest of them at least carry him.

Ain't no way Jeff Bridges is cooler than Iowa born John Wayne though. Don't go there.
Love Miller's Crossing. Those scenes in the woods are pretty cool, as are the interiors of those large open buildings.
And, come on, the Dude vs. the Duke is pretty tough comparison. It's generational.

Cyhart

Aug 15, 2009
Des Moines

Absolutely not.
Yeah, it may be better in the theater, but the brilliance of the Coen brothers can be perfectly demonstrated on my LCD tv at home.
You dont need a theater to appreciate brilliant character interaction and screenplay.

GeronimusClone

Oct 23, 2008
Des Moines, IA
Absolutely not.
Yeah, it may be better in the theater, but the brilliance of the Coen brothers can be perfectly demonstrated on my LCD tv at home.
You dont need a theater to appreciate brilliant character interaction and screenplay.
I have that at home too, and I do appreciate their films there all the time. But, for me, nothing ever compares to the movie theater.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron