Tracking games played by the true freshmen

Aclone

Dec 14, 2007
Des Moines, Ia.
Updated.

I'm really starting to like D.J. Miller the more I see him play.
Agreed. I know there’s a chance that Eisworth may go pro after this season, but right now I’d be more concerned about the corners next year than I would about the safeties.

And that not a big concern. The big item of interest will be how the OL fits and comes together.

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
So King has played in every game so far.... has that been mostly on special teams? I guess I haven't seen him out there on defense that much, unless I'm just not paying close enough attention.

BWRhasnoAC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2013
Dez Moy Nez
Sort of my point, why practice with TE's at all if he isn't going to see the field anyway? I must be thinking 1 move ahead and Campbell is thinking 5. It's why I always lose at chess.
He's a project. He wasn't going to start at QB any time soon, and we will have a void to fill when these TE's or ours start leaving for the league. He will need to work on his body and his mindset if he's going from avoiding being hit and dealing them out. Joel Lanning is the anomaly and we are spoiled by it.

Aclone

Dec 14, 2007
Des Moines, Ia.
So King has played in every game so far.... has that been mostly on special teams? I guess I haven't seen him out there on defense that much, unless I'm just not paying close enough attention.
I’m hearing him mentioned occasionally in at corner. Apparently they love him as a cover guy. Sounded like Kyle got most of the reps there after Young went out though.

• Agree
Reactions: demoncore1031

demoncore1031

May 18, 2008
Albuquerque,NM
theslaughterhouse.freeforums.net
Agreed. I know there’s a chance that Eisworth may go pro after this season, but right now I’d be more concerned about the corners next year than I would about the safeties.

And that not a big concern. The big item of interest will be how the OL fits and comes together.
I like Azunna at the star position and imagine he will start there next year if Eisworth does not return, but Eisworth might move back to strong safety with both Lewis and Bickham graduating. I'm hoping that Isheem Young ends up being really good.

Honestly I am a bit disappointed that Bowens has not done anything this year and let Miller beat him out for the #2 spot at free safety. Bowens has great speed and athleticism and decent size. Not sure what the deal is with him.

• Agree
Reactions: Aclone

Aclone

Dec 14, 2007
Des Moines, Ia.
This thread is to keep track of the freshmen and the new 4 game redshirt rule.

vs UNI
RB Breece Hall (1)
CB Kym-Mani King (1)

vs Iowa
RB Breece Hall (2)
CB Kym-Mani King (2)
DB D.J. Miller (1)

vs UL Monroe
RB Breece Hall (3)
RB Jirehl Brock (1)
WR Darian Porter (1)
DE Corey Suttle (1)
LB Aric Horne (1)
CB Kym-Mani King (3)
DB D.J. Miller (2)

@ Baylor
RB Jirehl Brock (2)
CB Kym-Mani King (4)
DB D.J. Miller (3)

vs TCU
RB Breece Hall (4)
RB Jirehl Brock (3)
CB Kym-Mani King (5)
DB D.J. Miller (4)

@ W. Virginia
RB Breece Hall (5)
CB Kym-Mani King (6)
DB D.J. Miller (5)

@ Texas Tech
RB Breece Hall (6) *** first career start
CB Kym-Mani King (7)
DB D.J. Miller (6)

vs Oklahoma State

RB Breece Hall (7) ***started
CB Kym-Mani King (8)
DB D.J. Miller (7)
Ohhh-kayyy. Looks like the non-Hall/Miller/King freshmen can hopefully get laugher PT against UT (maybe), Kansas (more likely) and...maybe in the bowl, if we play well? I’d really like to see some of those young OL get a few quality snaps in.

Also appears now that Jirehl will indeed redshirt.

demoncore1031

May 18, 2008
Albuquerque,NM
theslaughterhouse.freeforums.net
Ohhh-kayyy. Looks like the non-Hall/Miller/King freshmen can hopefully get laugher PT against UT (maybe), Kansas (more likely) and...maybe in the bowl, if we play well? I’d really like to see some of those young OL get a few quality snaps in.

I'm hoping to see the same. I would love to see Isheem Young get some garbage time minutes, as well as Corey Suttle and Grant Treiber.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
I liked the new redshirt rule when it came out but was concerned down the road there would be something I didn't anticipate that I didn't like. It hasn't happened yet. :)

About the only downside (and it ain't much) is career records being broken by guys who only get better numbers because they play 4 1/4 years vs. guys who played a lot less. Like I said, it ain't much.

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006

Agree with this. It looks like he could still play one more game. Maybe that will be the bowl game?

• Agree
Reactions: demoncore1031

theshadow

Apr 19, 2006
About the only downside (and it ain't much) is career records being broken by guys who only get better numbers because they play 4 1/4 years vs. guys who played a lot less. Like I said, it ain't much.

That ship sailed when seasons went from 11 countable games (bowl stats weren't counted until 2002) to up to 15 countable games.

ISUMojoMan

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 2, 2010
Don't know where to pose this question but have not seen the info anywhere and don't want to start a new thread but while Real Mitchell is not a freshman I wondered what his status is? Is he playing and I'm missing him? Does it just make more sense to have him ready as a backup? Or is he in the dog house?

MeowingCows

Jun 1, 2015
Iowa
Don't know where to pose this question but have not seen the info anywhere and don't want to start a new thread but while Real Mitchell is not a freshman I wondered what his status is? Is he playing and I'm missing him? Does it just make more sense to have him ready as a backup? Or is he in the dog house?
There's simply not been a need for his services, so he's in the backup phase for the most part.

jdcyclone19

Apr 14, 2017
Iowa

There hasn't been to many changes to get him involved which is disappointing. If he doesn't more involved (he is standing firm on being QB and not switching), don't be surprised if his name is in the transfer portal after this year.

Aclone

Dec 14, 2007
Des Moines, Ia.
There hasn't been to many changes to get him involved which is disappointing. If he doesn't more involved (he is standing firm on being QB and not switching), don't be surprised if his name is in the transfer portal after this year.
The kid was insulted when someone asked him that question this preseason.

Be surprised.

• Disagree
Reactions: jdcyclone19

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron