Toxic Boss - How do you cope?

Peter

Feb 21, 2010
Madison, Wisconsin
If she is, hit it (the boss) and quit it (both the boss and the job).

Lol, I did discover after starting that she has a reputation for hiring hot younger men who she can parade around at art galleries, etc. I’m not sure I fit the bill, but she has taken me to several opening already so maybe that’s my role. She also ruffled my hair the day after a haircut which is when I new something was seriously ******.

cycloner29

Dec 17, 2008
Ames
71 year old high and mighty. Reminds me of the old lady on the Wolf eye commercial. :eek::eek:

I don't know how big the firm is you work for but if you are doing good work and you have a social network like LinkedIn or something, you shouldn't have a problem finding a job. Get your resume on Indeed!!

Has she always a "my crap doesn't stink" kinda person?

aauummm

April is International Guitar Month
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2007
I get around
Lol, I did discover after starting that she has a reputation for hiring hot younger men who she can parade around at art galleries, etc. I’m not sure I fit the bill, but she has taken me to several opening already so maybe that’s my role. She also ruffled my hair the day after a haircut which is when I new something was seriously ******.
Cougar?

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
This is the best description of my first boss I have ever found --

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Micromanagement

It was like this bizarre mixture of the following --

Glengarry Glen Ross
The Hunger Games

Office Space
Rain Main
Tommy Boy

My best advice -- there is not a way to fix such people.

Find a different job.

Keep your head down in the meantime.

• Funny
Reactions: Peter

Peter

Feb 21, 2010
Madison, Wisconsin
71 year old high and mighty. Reminds me of the old lady on the Wolf eye commercial. :eek::eek:

I don't know how big the firm is you work for but if you are doing good work and you have a social network like LinkedIn or something, you shouldn't have a problem finding a job. Get your resume on Indeed!!

Has she always a "my crap doesn't stink" kinda person?

she’s the founder of the company so it’s really her play thing. Last month she threw away a piece of art worth at least $10,000 and tried to blame everyone else because she doesn’t know how to unpack boxes and someone else should have checked the box before she threw it away with the art inside. I wish I was kidding.

Last edited:

Beernuts

Nov 9, 2017
Had a boss that would throw a tantrum when things weren't going well. One day he was shaking his fists in the air and swearing at anyone that walked by him. I thought he was kidding and started laughing at him (he looked like a toddler). A couple months later I took a different job :)

• Funny

kkise

Jun 25, 2008
Ankeny, Iowa
she’s the founder of the company so it’s really her play thing. Last month she threw away a price of art worth at least $10,000 and tried to blame everyone else because she doesn’t know how to unpack boxes and someone else should have checked the box before she threw it away with the art inside. I wish I was kidding.
I'm sorry to hear that. I'll go with everyone else and say find a new job.

Of course, maybe she's mad that your on Cyclone Fanatic all the time.:)

• Funny

Cyfern

Sep 26, 2019
Always take care of #1, even if that means GTFO. Until then, I'd say just keep looking forward and not at the now. If you're job hunting, you know your current status is temporary and only a means to the next stage in life. Treat it as such; don't let your current spot bring you down knowing that something better is out there, and you're trying to find it.

I've seen more than a few people get ruined by **** jobs or bosses. If nothing changes, the best option is to head out for your own well-being. I'm sure you know this, evidenced by the fact that you're already telling us about the specific issues you're facing.
Agree. I've had one of these bosses. Needed psychotherapy. I'm serious. It ruined my career, but not my life. It's your choice.

• Agree
Reactions: MeowingCows and Cy$

Cyfern

Sep 26, 2019
File a sexual harassment claim against her. That's inappropriate touching. Do it. It works for women.

• Optimistic
Reactions: Cy$

Cyched

CF Influencer
May 8, 2009
Denver, CO
A good vise helps me cope.

dewalt-vises-dxcmwsv5-64_1000.jpg

LarryISU

Feb 10, 2013
Omaha
In a larger corporate structure, I think the answer is to find a couple other people who agree with you and approach HR together. But if she is the top dog and HR is either non-existent or ineffective, then I think others have given you the answer, get out of there.

I never really quit a good job under your circumstances, but I did have offices go out of business and force me to look elsewhere. If you are a good worker and have intelligence and skills that are of value in the marketplace, in my experience you can always land on your feet and actually be better off. I am retired now, but any job I went to after getting laid off turned out to be a better job, though I didn't expect that when it happened. Your work is such a big part of your life, it is not worth it, IMO, to put up with an irrational boss.

• Agree
Reactions: Peter and Cy$

Gonzo

Mar 10, 2009
Behind you
I work for an art dealer and my boss is insane. She treats everyone like her personal assistant and is constantly playing mind games. You never know when she will blow up about the slightest issue. Recently she tried to pressure me into attending a New Year’s Day party at her house by suggested that my career “might” depend on it and then guilt tripped me hard for spending NYE with my family.

It has gotten to the point where I feel stupid all the time and am making silly mistakes because my stress level is so high. I’m actively looking for another job but until then I need to survive as best I can. For those of you who are/have been where I am, how do you cope?

Sorry, that blows. I've never had anything this bad, but I would suggest when you do leave keep it as amicable as possible. No matter how much you despise her and how good it would feel to tell her off upon leaving, I'm a firm believer in not burning professional bridges.