Tough day for EIU hoops hopes

CyPunch

May 3, 2019
Sandy Springs, GA
I see this Iowa November/December narrative quite a bit but I don't get it. Iowa's peak is typically mid January to late February in time to get excited for the postseason before rug gets pulled out. Iowa was 8-7 after January 1st last year

I think Iowa knows their identity right now and Iowa State does not.

If Iowa can stack some wins in January when the schedule looks more forgiving, I think they can win 11 in conference and make the tourney. If they get to the end of the season needing to win games @Michigan St, @Illinois, and @Northwestern it's going to be tough. Minnesota and Penn State twice will provide some fluff to the record.

• Agree
Reactions: cyguy9320

TClone99

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 12, 2006
Teams that have been remotely decent at defending have had good luck speeding them up. What killed us early in the game last year is that we were over helping and over playing passing lanes which led to wide open three's off ball reversals.
Which is what we've done a lot this year too, particularly against VaTech. Gotta hope Green is getting this fixed.

TClone99

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 12, 2006
I think Iowa knows their identity right now and Iowa State does not.

If Iowa can stack some wins in January when the schedule looks more forgiving, I think they can win 11 in conference and make the tourney. If they get to the end of the season needing to win games @Michigan St, @Illinois, and @Northwestern it's going to be tough. Minnesota and Penn State twice will provide some fluff to the record.
Fran obviously has a low ceiling program. From what I've seen this looks like a particularly low-ceiling team. Gun to my head I'm saying they don't make the Dance.

CyPunch

May 3, 2019
Sandy Springs, GA
Fran obviously has a low ceiling program. From what I've seen this looks like a particularly low-ceiling team. Gun to my head I'm saying they don't make the Dance.

Their seasons have been on the verge of death the last two years in early January and Mike Woodson has came to town to save the day both times. I do agree the ceiling may be lower this year without the sure fire 1st round talent on the roster. We'll see how Thursday goes.

Last edited:
Reactions: RezClone

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
ISU definitely should win. Lipsey is the type of guard who gives them fits, and the Cyclones should be able to make them uncomfortable enough when they have the ball to keep from just flat getting outscored. Just cannot let them get too many good looks in transition and off of offensive rebounds.

Need to be good with the passes around the perimeter too.

Die4Cy

Jan 2, 2010
Just tired of the lame excuse that ISU never gets up for Cy-Hawk games like Iowa does.

Well…. if that’s the case, then I wish we’d start getting up for them…. losing is embarrassing.
We're the school that put BEAT IOWA across the front of the football jerseys one time.

In a B1G-Big XII in state rivalry matchup motivation is never the issue.

• Agree
Reactions: 1776

clonehome

Jul 29, 2006
If we lose because Iowa is more up for the game...that's on us.
That won't be the reason, if we lose, and whoever says it is should die slowly.
If this is our excuse for losing to Iowa then we’ve become Hawkeye fans from 20-25 years ago, “it’s your super bowl, blah blah blah.” Georges Niang and Naz Long were amped up for the Iowa game every year.

pourcyne

Feb 19, 2011
I think Iowa knows their identity right now
giphy.gif

and Iowa State does not.

cy.gif

snore.gif

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
It isn't really that Iowa State is "down" for these games. It is just that Iowa might be more motivated. You can't tell me those players in Iowa City don't catch wind of the "not athletic enough" "not fast enough" "don't play defense" "too white and pasty" talk that floats around on social media and message board chatter. This is their one chance every year to try and flex on what is widely viewed as the better college basketball program in the state. The program that recruits at a higher level and uses the portal and probably didn't recruit their players in most cases, and has much more NCAA tournament success than them recently. They have had a chip on their shoulder in this game for years.

How are you "more motivated"? What does being "more motivated" look like? Being "more motivated" implies we are less motivated. So does Tamin show up and just decide he's going to take it easy tonight? Does Sandfort really try extra hard to make his jump shots?

These are D1 coaches and D1 players. They show up, and they play to the best of their abilities. Now maybe there's an argument we aren't as mentally sharp against Grambling as we are against Kansas. Sure. But this isn't happening for the Iowa game.

• Agree

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
How are you "more motivated"? What does being "more motivated" look like? Being "more motivated" implies we are less motivated. So does Tamin show up and just decide he's going to take it easy tonight? Does Sandfort really try extra hard to make his jump shots?

These are D1 coaches and D1 players. They show up, and they play to the best of their abilities. Now maybe there's an argument we aren't as mentally sharp against Grambling as we are against Kansas. Sure. But this isn't happening for the Iowa game.

ISU was not physically sharp last year in IC.

Reactions: Cyinthenorth

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
ISU was not physically sharp last year in IC.

Ok...and was it the result of indifference? A lack of emphasis on the Iowa game?

No. Sometimes you just don't play well. That's why this notion that its more important to Iowa is just silly.

• Agree

RezClone

Mar 2, 2013
Pine Ridge Indian Reservation, SD
Ok...and was it the result of indifference? A lack of emphasis on the Iowa game?

No. Sometimes you just don't play well. That's why this notion that its more important to Iowa is just silly.
I would argue the main thing that happens when iowa wins these games is they shoot very well and ISU shoots very poorly.

To me this would indicate that iowa is playing fast and loose feeling they have nothing to lose. And ISU is playing tight with the weight of the matchup affecting them more in a negative way.

(You can even debatably throw in the caveat of both teams being aware of a clear difference in athleticism, talent, and high level potential leading to each team feeling as though the default result SHOULD be ISU winning if all things are equal.)

Doesn't exactly scream "the game means more to iowa" to me.

Reactions: Clone95

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron