Tom Manning a candidate for KU FB job

CyBobby

Oct 18, 2006
Central Iowa
Why torpedo your career before it starts by going to Kansas? He'll have better options next year. Kansas is where coaches go to get caught in scandal and never be seen again.
Well now not all coaches at KU do bad...LOL...now take Bud Moore ...good ol' boy Bud got fired at Kansas when he was the head football coach and parlayed that into a lucrative business in Florida....A BUDWEISER DISTRIBUTORSHIP.....

Reactions: usedcarguy

CyBobby

Oct 18, 2006
Central Iowa
Or support from their AD. Have you been to the stadium? It's ******* terrible. They don't care about their football program and why Tom would want to go where he isn't appreciated is beyond me. We had just pumped millions into the stadium. This is not apples to apples. It's apples to a cardboard box with a homeless person's poop in it.
Is it true that the original part of Mem Stadium at Lawrence KS...was built during the Civil War? If NOT that crummy stadium looks like it just barely survived the Civil War....

Cydkar

Apr 12, 2006
Sources tell FootballScoop that among those invited to interview include Army coach Jeff Monken, Buffalo coach Lance Leipold, Tulane coach Willie Fritz, Eastern Michigan coach Chris Creighton and interim Kansas coach Emmett Jones.

Additionally, some high-profile coordinators are among those already to speak or scheduled to speak with Goff and what sources say are a four-person KU hiring/interview committee.

Those coordinators, per sources, of some interest to KU officials include Georgia defensive coordinator Dan Lanning, who remained with the Bulldogs this offseason after an opportunity to join Steve Sarkisian’s rebuild at the University of Texas; Texas A&M’s highly regarded Mike Elko, Iowa State offensive coordinator Tom Manning – a young, up-and-comer already with a year of NFL experience under former Colts and current Philadelphia Eagles head coach Nick Sirianni, as well as Illinois associate head coach Kevin Kane.

Full article: https://footballscoop.com/news/sources-sitting-head-coaches-top-coordinators-emerge-in-kansas-mix/
Not happening.

• Winner
Reactions: aauummm

cyfan21

Aug 24, 2010
Davenport
I feel that if Manning were ready to leave, it would be wise for him to wait until after this season. Get another successful season under your belt, and you can get a lot better job.

I am sure Manning has aspirations to be a head coach, so its only expected that his name may begin to pop up in such searches.
Plus a chance to a full offseason to work with a new team

Aclone

Dec 14, 2007
Des Moines, Ia.
To add on, Manning loves running the ball on 1st&10 to an unhealthy degree.
Let’s see. We know now that our all conference tight end was dinged up, and missed the preseason because of COVID protocols. Our two most experienced wideouts were either dinged up or outright injured, and the newcomer who wound up leading the team in receiving took several games to settle in.

Oh, and the OL had some serious leaks in pass protection, and several of those players’ forte was clearly knocking defenders off the line of scrimmage.

Oh yes...and we had a unanimous first team All American running back.

Maybe we can pump the brakes on complaining about how much Coach Manning ran the ball on first down? Seems to me he’s wise enough to play to his team’s strengths—while minimizing their weaknesses.

At least until those remaining kinks on the OL get worked out, and an additional wideout (or two) emerges. Then, I guess we’ll see. If that trend continues (which I think unlikely), complaining is fair game.

Halincandenza

Oct 24, 2018
Have a hard time believing Manning would get hired for that job but good on him for getting an interview but on the other hand, shows he is looking to find a HC job so probably won't be around much longer.
Seems like they need to go with someone who has proven as a HC he can win at a tough place.

cyhiphopp

Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
Ankeny
Fan support or facilities. I’m not sure Matt Campbell has the success he has had without the prior upgrades to the facilities which started with Mac

I don't think Matt comes here without the fan support and facilities, much less having success here.

• Winner
Reactions: CyBobby

CoKane

Oct 26, 2013
Cedar Rapids
I really dont know why a single person would want to take the KU job at all. Fanbase doesn't care, AD doesnt care, program has been completely ********* for over 10 years now, and the conference is loaded from 1-7 or so. It takes a really special kind to win there that isn't coming due to how many factors work against them.

cyhiphopp

Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
Ankeny
Here are my thoughts on the KU job. Not that anyone asked.
They are in an even worse position than ISU was when Dan showed up. That's because not only is their program itself in shambles, they are also WAY behind in the football facilities arms race that is currently running out of control, AND their donors care way more about basketball than they ever will about football, so it's not like they are going to start pushing their donations from one sport to the other.

McCarney's biggest contribution to the ISU program was his enthusiasm. It took some time but he got people to give a crap about ISU football. Then we were able to start spending money on football, and got an AD who understood the need for massive facilities upgrades. But JP doesn't get the dollars to do the things he has without the enthusiasm the fan base found under Dan.
Rhoads ran out of steam but he also helped ISU take a huge step forward in fan base enthusiasm while JP kept pushing upgrades.
Campbell took all that progress and kicked it into overdrive with unprecedented success.

KU will need to hire a charismatic guy who's willing to stick it out through multiple building seasons. KU will also need to NOT FIRE the guy before he has some success. It's going to be a 5 year rebuild at least with consistent recruiting to a system that actually works. They're going to have to be patient which KU hasn't been able to do. The Les Miles hire could have worked if they had done their homework and stayed the course. All he needed to do was get KU fans to care about football a bit more.

But that's going to be the major hurdle. Even in some of McCarney's worst seasons, ISU fans still cared about football and wanted to be good. KU fans are usually just waiting for basketball season.

cyclonehomer

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 2, 2019
Let’s see. We know now that our all conference tight end was dinged up, and missed the preseason because of COVID protocols. Our two most experienced wideouts were either dinged up or outright injured, and the newcomer who wound up leading the team in receiving took several games to settle in.

Oh, and the OL had some serious leaks in pass protection, and several of those players’ forte was clearly knocking defenders off the line of scrimmage.

Oh yes...and we had a unanimous first team All American running back.

Maybe we can pump the brakes on complaining about how much Coach Manning ran the ball on first down? Seems to me he’s wise enough to play to his team’s strengths—while minimizing their weaknesses.

At least until those remaining kinks on the OL get worked out, and an additional wideout (or two) emerges. Then, I guess we’ll see. If that trend continues (which I think unlikely), complaining is fair game.
https://cfb-graphs.com/leaderboard20.html
When you look at early down splits, Iowa State falls to .007 EPA/rush vs .126 EPA/pass. They also rank in the top third of running on early downs, doing so 58% of the time.

Even with those factors, Iowa State was much more efficient throwing on early downs than rushing last year! I'm not saying not to lean on Breece or to never run the football, I just think that the offense could be more explosive and consistent if Manning opened up the playbook a bit more on early downs

usedcarguy

Apr 12, 2008
Ames
I love Mac, but I don’t think what we have today would have helped him from not being able to close out games or not hire his friends.

He definitely would have had better records as he would have had the facilities to attract better players. And the larger pot of money available for assistant salaries today likely would have resulted in attracting and retaining people like Steve Loney.

cyfan4

May 21, 2014
Ankeny, Iowa
I really dont know why a single person would want to take the KU job at all. Fanbase doesn't care, AD doesnt care, program has been completely ********* for over 10 years now, and the conference is loaded from 1-7 or so. It takes a really special kind to win there that isn't coming due to how many factors work against them.

Their AD hasn’t been on the job for a month yet. How do we know he doesn’t care about the football program?

Reactions: usedcarguy

WooBadger18

Sep 5, 2012
On Wisconsin
They are in an even worse position than ISU was when Dan showed up. That's because not only is their program itself in shambles, they are also WAY behind in the football facilities arms race that is currently running out of control, AND their donors care way more about basketball than they ever will about football, so it's not like they are going to start pushing their donations from one sport to the other.

McCarney's biggest contribution to the ISU program was his enthusiasm. It took some time but he got people to give a crap about ISU football. Then we were able to start spending money on football, and got an AD who understood the need for massive facilities upgrades. But JP doesn't get the dollars to do the things he has without the enthusiasm the fan base found under Dan.
Rhoads ran out of steam but he also helped ISU take a huge step forward in fan base enthusiasm while JP kept pushing upgrades.
Campbell took all that progress and kicked it into overdrive with unprecedented success.

KU will need to hire a charismatic guy who's willing to stick it out through multiple building seasons. KU will also need to NOT FIRE the guy before he has some success. It's going to be a 5 year rebuild at least with consistent recruiting to a system that actually works. They're going to have to be patient which KU hasn't been able to do. The Les Miles hire could have worked if they had done their homework and stayed the course. All he needed to do was get KU fans to care about football a bit more.

But that's going to be the major hurdle. Even in some of McCarney's worst seasons, ISU fans still cared about football and wanted to be good. KU fans are usually just waiting for basketball season.
I agree with this, but I'm also not going to blame Kansas for their recent firings. Obviously it's going to be a massive rebuild but I don't think Beaty was really fired for a lack of wins but for a lack of improvement and not doing a great job managing the roster. And Miles wasn't fired for performance either. I don't think KU's problem is a lack of patience

NickTheGreat

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 17, 2012
Central Iowa
I would be willing to take on the KU football job. I have no experience, but I'm willing to do it for $3MM per year. With a $5MM buyout. :jimlad:

usedcarguy

Apr 12, 2008
Ames

I don't think people realize how lucky we were to get McCarney. The fact that he was an Iowa boy was probably the only reason a guy like him took the job. KU probably had an opportunity with an up and comer off of the Snyder coaching tree, but that ship's sailed.

In the days of the Big 8, you could play 7 conference games, schedule 4 patsies, and with relatively little effort get to .500 and try to build some momentum. I think that makes a KU rebuild that much more difficult. They've got a new AD, so we'll have to see what he does. But at least they have a chance. It was obvious that it wasn't going to happen as long as Jeff Long was there.

They couldn't have a much worse time to start a coaching search. Even if their best move is to hire an interim guy off of Miles' staff, it's probably smart for him to do a search if for no other reason than to allow the new AD to gauge interest and perceptions about their program for a real search process after next season if he can't find someone who jumps out at them.

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013
Even if somebody is interested in that job, I'd say you would be smart to at least stay away from it this year. Let an interim take it. Trying to take over a program and put together a staff right now would be a mess, and then take it over when they don't offer it to the interim as soon as the season is finished.

Taking a job that needs rebuilding after spring practice would be a disaster. In the end you still have to eat that year 1 record, even though nobody is going to win there next year given when they would take it over.