Tom Manning a candidate for KU FB job

cyrocksmypants

Dec 29, 2008
Washington DC
Iowa State just had its two best offensive seasons in school history and averaged more yards per play in Big 12 games than OU did. He’s not perfect, but the Manning criticism seems a bit excessive to me.
Shove it, nerd. The madden gamer and the dude that started the “help, I’m fat” thread clearly know more about offense than the offensive coordinator of the most potent offenses in ISU history and two time Broyles Award nominee.

zcecsch

Feb 6, 2021
I love Mac, but I don’t think what we have today would have helped him from not being able to close out games or not hire his friends.

McCarney or someone like him was necessary to pull us from the depths of the 1985-1995 era. He wasn't able to elevate us to the heights that someone like Campbell has, but he was needed. Kansas needs someone like him before they go for a home run hire imo. Someone like Snyder is the only way they can get out of this mess with one coach but that ain't happening

Cyched

CF Influencer
May 8, 2009
Denver, CO
Shove it, nerd. The madden gamer and the dude that started the “help, I’m fat” thread clearly know more about offense than the offensive coordinator of the most potent offenses in ISU history and two time Broyles Award nominee.

The Madden comments remind me of Courtney “Make Sportscenter Plays” Messingham

CySmurf

Jul 14, 2011
No offense, but that's what they have always said about Iowa State as well. I think the main difference is Kansas does not have the fan support for football that we have had.
I was thinking the same thing. Manning has been part of the resurrection of Cyclone football. I'm sure he has a high level of confidence he can do the same for Kansas football that Campbell has done for ISU. Whether we think so or not.

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
Disagree. Mangino knew offenses super well in his prime and he was one fat bastard.

• Funny
Reactions: baagoe

awd4cy

Dec 29, 2010
Central Iowa
No offense, but that's what they have always said about Iowa State as well. I think the main difference is Kansas does not have the fan support for football that we have had.
Our football team hasn’t had a run as bad as KU the last 11 years. 3 wins is their highest mark in that time.

cyclonehomer

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 2, 2019
The Madden comments remind me of Courtney “Make Sportscenter Plays” Messingham
Yeah, they were tongue-in-cheek. The numbers bare this out, but running the ball in general is worse than passing, especially repeatedly on 1st & 10, and 2nd & Long. I don't have the exact data splits in front of me for Iowa State's rushing and passing rates in those situations in front of me, but do have some data to use.

Last year, Iowa State finished 15th in EPA(expected points added)/rush and 25th in EPA/pass according to https://cfb-graphs.com/leaderboard20.html

However, Iowa State had nearly double the EPA on passes than rushes, 0.151 to .087. This doesn't mean that Iowa State should only throw the ball, or anything close to that. Breece Hall is clearly a difference maker with the ball in his hands. But, on a play-by-play basis, Iowa State was better off throwing the football. When you look at early down splits, Iowa State falls to .007 EPA/rush vs .126 EPA/pass. They also rank in the top third of running on early downs, doing so 58% of the time.

All of this is to say that I believe that Iowa State could stand to be more aggressive on offense, especially on early downs. This isn't special to Iowa State, either, as most teams would likely benefit from passing more on 1st and 2nd downs. And before someone brings up play action, studies have shown repeatedly that play action success has nothing to do with rushing attempts or success rushing the ball. https://www.footballoutsiders.com/stat-analysis/2018/rushing-success-and-play-action-passing

CapnCy

Jul 6, 2010
Wow- for the 2021 season, huh? Hard to fathom getting started so late.
AND at KU.....talk about an uphill first season!

Like another poster said...I'd take this year's cyclones with Breece, Kolar, Brock, etc. and next year get a HC job at a school with a pulse.

cyrocksmypants

Dec 29, 2008
Washington DC
Yeah, they were tongue-in-cheek. The numbers bare this out, but running the ball in general is worse than passing, especially repeatedly on 1st & 10, and 2nd & Long. I don't have the exact data splits in front of me for Iowa State's rushing and passing rates in those situations in front of me, but do have some data to use.

Last year, Iowa State finished 15th in EPA(expected points added)/rush and 25th in EPA/pass according to https://cfb-graphs.com/leaderboard20.html

However, Iowa State had nearly double the EPA on passes than rushes, 0.151 to .087. This doesn't mean that Iowa State should only throw the ball, or anything close to that. Breece Hall is clearly a difference maker with the ball in his hands. But, on a play-by-play basis, Iowa State was better off throwing the football. When you look at early down splits, Iowa State falls to .007 EPA/rush vs .126 EPA/pass. They also rank in the top third of running on early downs, doing so 58% of the time.

All of this is to say that I believe that Iowa State could stand to be more aggressive on offense, especially on early downs. This isn't special to Iowa State, either, as most teams would likely benefit from passing more on 1st and 2nd downs. And before someone brings up play action, studies have shown repeatedly that play action success has nothing to do with rushing attempts or success rushing the ball. https://www.footballoutsiders.com/stat-analysis/2018/rushing-success-and-play-action-passing
Manning needs to teach them to tap the spin move button instead of hold it.

• Funny
Reactions: VeloClone

cyclonehomer

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 2, 2019
Manning needs to teach them to tap the spin move button instead of hold it.
It's similar to how coaches are just now starting to catch up with the data with punting vs. going for it on 4th & short situations. Look at the NBA with the emphasis of 3 point shooting and layups compared to mid-range jump shots. Teams will slowly start to gravitate towards less running on 1st down and on 2nd and long, because over the course of a season it will benefit your team to do so.

Reactions: jmb

CySmurf

Jul 14, 2011
Or support from their AD. Have you been to the stadium? It's ******* terrible. They don't care about their football program and why Tom would want to go where he isn't appreciated is beyond me. We had just pumped millions into the stadium. This is not apples to apples. It's apples to a cardboard box with a homeless person's poop in it.
We once had Max Urick and Bruce Van de Velde as athletic directors...we've "improved: upon that.

Frak

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 27, 2009
Iowa State just had its two best offensive seasons in school history and averaged more yards per play in Big 12 games than OU did. He’s not perfect, but the Manning criticism seems a bit excessive to me.

Totally agree. No OC is perfect. And fans are always going to complain about play calling. But, we've had some good offenses despite not having a real deep threat...or any real gamebreakers at WR outside of Lazard and Butler. Not to mention, they've turned around an OL that was horrendous and made it actually pretty good. Manning had a big hand in that.

What I like about Manning is that he's not super stubborn with the scheme. When we had good WR targets, we'd throw it downfield and do a lot of back shoulder passes. When they didn't have those weapons, they moved to more of a 3 TE set. He may not be a genius playcaller, but I feel like he puts the offense in a good place to have success given the limitations of the roster year to year.

cyclonehomer

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 2, 2019
One last thing, I agree that Manning has had a big hand in the turn around and that Iowa State could do much, much worse. Manning is clearly better than any OC we've had in the past 15 years and does a great job for the most part, especially in the big picture scheme things which are probably more important than down-by-down play calls anyway.

Reactions: Aclone

k123

Sep 14, 2011
Iowa
I would hope he would say "I would rather improve my stock for a better head coaching job after this big year at ISU vs. go to the coaching graveyard at KU just because it is available."

(I am sure people have said this but what else are message boards for?!?)

Aclone

Dec 14, 2007
Des Moines, Ia.
So uh....we're just shutting the football program down after Campbell retires?

There's nothing wrong with grooming an heir for 20 years.
I seem to recall someone just tried that in basketball—and got the “heir” hired out from under them this offseason, with quite some years to go.

Twenty-five or some years out, that theoretical eventual Campbell “heir” is far more likely to be someone like Kyle Kempt, Joel Lannng or Chase Allen—after they’ve worked their way up the ladder at various stops.

(Nate Scheelhaase having taken over at Illinois after Bielema retires, BTW)

• Dumb
Reactions: Drew0311