TJ’s Weaknesses Exposed Tonight

ChickenNuggetMan

Drinks beer with CycloneLarry69
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 24, 2017
Minneapolis
I don't think a coach drawing up a game winning play happens as much as you seem to think it does.
Maybe you’re right, it’s not like I’ve coached a team before. Just trying to connect the dots after several really close road losses.

rochclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 28, 2009
I'm all in on TJ but we do need to start asking some questions on why we are constantly on the wrong end of these one-posession road games.

We have 1 legitimate road win where I thought we controlled them the entire game. The TCU went exactly like the other 4 league losses only we got lucky and got bailed out by Gabe at the end.

So thats 5 out of 6 league road games where we essentially are blowing it at the end.

We have 3 more chances so we'll see if this trend continues.
It’s funny that only two teams in the Big 12 have been competitive in every conference road. One is West Virginia with no road loss exceeding 7 points and the other is Iowa State with no road loss exceeding 5 points.

Lol at the TJ should start having to answer for this. Dude we fought back and had a chance to win. What is going to happen to you when we lose by 10+ on the road. It has happened to Texas, Kansas, Baylor, Kansas State and TCU.

Bestaluckcy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 25, 2009
Legend has it that one time near the end of a close game Larry E. drew up an elaborate play to win the game in a timeout. As the players left the huddle JT got the players together one more time and said “F**k that. Here is what we are going to do...”. Our resulting late game dunk secured the victory.

As Tamin grows in his role, we may learn the coaching only goes so far. At the end of the day the players still need to make a play to win a close game. Don’t forget the other team is also doing everything possible to keep it from happening. Our future is bright.

Reactions: NENick

NoCreativity

Nov 12, 2015
Des Moines
What is going to happen to you when we lose by 10+ on the road
You mean like the Iowa and Missouri games? What's going to happen is I'll chalk it up to the other team being hot that night and move on.

That's not what I'm talking about here, I'm talking about the constant inability to close out a game we shoukd have won. This is 4 straight that we've lost and had numerous chances at the end. That's unprecedented.

• Dumb
Reactions: mikeiastat

NorthCyd

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 22, 2011
I'm all in on TJ but we do need to start asking some questions on why we are constantly on the wrong end of these one-posession road games.

We have 1 legitimate road win where I thought we controlled them the entire game. The TCU went exactly like the other 4 league losses only we got lucky and got bailed out by Gabe at the end.

So thats 5 out of 6 league road games where we essentially are blowing it at the end.

Interesting logic there. The close wins are all luck and the close losses are cause we suck. We have been in every conference road game until the end and we've won 2 and lost 4. Go flip a coin 6 times and see how often you get one side twice and the other side 4 times. Spoiler, it will happen a lot. If ISU keeps in it until the end some of them will go there way and others won't.

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013
I don't think a coach drawing up a game winning play happens as much as you seem to think it does.
I think that aspect of coaching is important, but it's pretty overrated. It's all a tradeoff. You can be a really set-heavy team, and chances are you are probably going to tend to better at running a set to get a shot at the end of clock situations. Not always, but that's going to be the case most of the time. Some coaches are pretty good at both letting their teams read and react with simpler offensive actions and also have some money plays they execute well when they need to. But I'd say those aren't super common.

ISU's offense is probably never going to go that direction. They are going to run some simple actions offensively, and try to be really good at reading and decision-making off of those. I think that is a better approach to offense. People ***** about AAU for a lot of reasons, but I do think this is a big reason Fr. are ready to play right away more often now. They tend to run a lot of simple actions and players get good at reading and reacting to how the defense plays them.

I kind of see it like any of the option stuff in football - read option, old-school speed option, RPO, etc. and throw in use of option routes in the passing game. You get elite at reading, decision-making, and executing, and it's pretty hard to stop even if you do everything right defensively.

Over the years I think the staff will accumulate some favorite sets for situations and get good at them. They'll get better. Hoiberg ran some good out of bounds stuff, but we also had some pretty terrible end of half/game possessions. Some worked out because guys like Naz, Monte, Kane and Georges had giant brass balls.

isufbcurt

Apr 21, 2006
Newton
Maybe you’re right, it’s not like I’ve coached a team before. Just trying to connect the dots after several really close road losses.

Missed grill layup
Jaren letting the rebound squirt out of his hands and go out of bounds

were 2 critical plays down the stretch that killed us

There was also another play a little earlier where WV missed a shot, Osun and Jaren both went for the rebound, and it rolled out of bounds and back to WV. It looked like Osun could have gotten it but he just stood there while Jaren tried to unsuccessfully chase it.

You can go to every one of those close losses and see plays where we ****** up.

TJ said on the postgame show with Walters and Heft "You have to be almost perfect to win on the road".

Last edited:

NoCreativity

Nov 12, 2015
Des Moines
Interesting logic there. The close wins are all luck and the close losses are cause we suck. We have been in every conference road game until the end and we've won 2 and lost 4. Go flip a coin 6 times and see how often you get one side twice and the other side 4 times. Spoiler, it will happen a lot. If ISU keeps in it until the end some of them will go there way and others won't.
Ok, well its great to know I'm wasting my time watching games that will all be decided by a coin flip at the end and has nothing to do with the two teams.

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019

How in God's name did we blow last night? Lol

BWRhasnoAC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2013
Dez Moy Nez
You mean like the Iowa and Missouri games? What's going to happen is I'll chalk it up to the other team being hot that night and move on.

That's not what I'm talking about here, I'm talking about the constant inability to close out a game we shoukd have won. This is 4 straight that we've lost and had numerous chances at the end. That's unprecedented.
I don't think it's as unprecedented as you would like.

• Winner
Reactions: NENick

rochclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 28, 2009
Ok, well its great to know I'm wasting my time watching games that will all be decided by a coin

Umm, we have possession of the ball with 15 seconds left down 1 and we end up losing by 5? That's a choke job.
You are such a troll. Its not shocking that you are once again up to your antics after a tough road loss.

rochclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 28, 2009
Umm, we have possession of the ball with 15 seconds left down 1 and we end up losing by 5? That's a choke job.
So its on the staff for missing a layup with 8 seconds to go....on a play that I feel like everyone universally agrees that Grill was tripped on. It's a choke job for not winning down 3 with 7 seconds to go. I mean come on man....you can't even believe half of the stuff that you are actually writing.

NoCreativity

Nov 12, 2015
Des Moines
What would be unprecedented would be him not throwing a tantrum after a loss.
I didn't say a word until the Oklahoma State loss this year.

Grill and Holmes were clearly frustrated and throwing tantrums late in the game last night also but fans aren't allowed to?

NoCreativity

Nov 12, 2015
Des Moines
So its on the staff for missing a layup with 8 seconds to go....on a play that I feel like everyone universally agrees that Grill was tripped on. It's a choke job for not winning down 3 with 7 seconds to go. I mean come on man....you can't even believe half of the stuff that you are actually writing.
Grill got fouled for sure but I could see why refs missed it with how clueless they were the rest of the game.

Touissant flopped but you could make the case for a charge. Holmes absolutely has to be smarter than that and not fall for his bs but he lured him into lowering his shoulder.

• Agree
Reactions: stateofmind