Tipping question

isu_oak

Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2006
Should I tip a house painting crew?
I always tip people working on my house. What I give depends on the size of the crew and the quality of work. Sometimes it's money, but I always offer food and beverage.

Giving a small tip or offering partway through can increase their quality of work.

Reactions: khardbored

Lexclone

I survived the 2023 ad invasion
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 8, 2013
Massachusetts
My mind put and ‘r’ into the title so I thought you were asking about “tripping”. I thought maybe you were looking for advice on psychedelics. I don’t have any advice on that, but I was looking forward to the responses.

Also, don’t tip house painters.

Reactions: Angie

isufbcurt

Apr 21, 2006
Newton
We have painters coming to re-stain our house in a couple weeks, no way in hell I would even think to tip them. They gave us an estimate and that estimate is enough to make them do a good job.

If they don't do a good job then I will reciprocate and not do a good job on their bookkeeping/taxes.

SCyclone

Mar 11, 2014
Fort Dodge, IA
Tipping is so overblown in this country.

Yes and no. In most cases, I agree. In the case of jobs being paid less than minimum wage, it's almost necessary. I find the great majority of servers to be considerate and caring, and I generally leave a 20% tip.

What I think should happen is for the charade to end, pay servers at least a minimum wage, and tip accordingly.

I also think everyone should have a job in service to the general public for at least a year. It would put a stop to a lot of the crap that employees put up with.

Clark

Jun 24, 2009
Altoona
Yes and no. In most cases, I agree. In the case of jobs being paid less than minimum wage, it's almost necessary. I find the great majority of servers to be considerate and caring, and I generally leave a 20% tip.

What I think should happen is for the charade to end, pay servers at least a minimum wage, and tip accordingly.

I also think everyone should have a job in service to the general public for at least a year. It would put a stop to a lot of the crap that employees put up with.

How about, and I'm just spitballing here, we have the employers pay a living wage and we just stop this tipping nonsense altogether.

SCNCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 11, 2009
La Fox, IL

If a tipped employee doesn't make the equivalent of hourly pay plus tips to equal the minimum wage per hour for hours worked, the employer needs to make up the difference. So technically, servers should be paid at least the minimum wage. The question is how many people in the industry know this?

cycloner29

Dec 17, 2008
Ames
I have offered them beer. They seemed to appreciate but they don't speak english so much.

After the deracho last August, was able to get on one of our local roofers lists right away , unfortunately they didn't get it done until Nov..

Problem was they contracted a couple groups out of Des Moines to help and the group we got did not speak very much English. If I hadn't been there watching them they would have forget a bunch of things. Have had the local roofer back like 3 times so far. Still can't figure out why they put the shingles on before they tore off the gutters and replaced the facia. Have had issues with the gutters since they put them up. My tip is to always look and see that the job is getting done to meet your expectations.

They will probably will be back in the week to take care of another issue that has come up.

• Sad

CascadeClone

Oct 24, 2009
How about, and I'm just spitballing here, we have the employers pay a living wage and we just stop this tipping nonsense altogether.

I tend to agree, I have always found tipping kind of awkward.

BUT there are some folks pulling in way more in tips than they ever would at $15 or $20 an hour. And that cash is, well, let's say hard to remember to report on your 1040. So there is some nontrivial percentage of tipped employees that would not want that living wage, as it would be a pay cut.

Others would indeed benefit from it. The government for one - gotta be a LOT of under-reported tip income that would suddenly get taxed, not to mention more employer FICA too.

Google says IRS estimates $11B in unreported tip income.

• Agree

ISUCyclones2015

Doesn't wipe standing up
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2010
Chicago, IL
The worst was a spiel as we were heading back from swimming with stingrays in Grand Cayman. The owner of the boat and his son said most of the money they make is from tips and it would be greatly appreciated if you could tip them.

You own the damn company and boat dude.... why not raise the price of going out there? But he suckered a couple hundred bucks out of it.

• Wow

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
Not house painting but I bought a used truck had it detailed, it came out way better than I expected. I tipped on that. The price was super reasonable to start with and I wanted to show some appreciation and I'm pretty sure I'm going to take them a car to do, so I'm hoping the remember the tip.

Stormin

Apr 11, 2006
I tend to agree, I have always found tipping kind of awkward.

BUT there are some folks pulling in way more in tips than they ever would at $15 or $20 an hour. And that cash is, well, let's say hard to remember to report on your 1040. So there is some nontrivial percentage of tipped employees that would not want that living wage, as it would be a pay cut.

Others would indeed benefit from it. The government for one - gotta be a LOT of under-reported tip income that would suddenly get taxed, not to mention more employer FICA too.

Google says IRS estimates $11B in unreported tip income.

Sounds like it would be better to end the stupid tipping employees economy. Pay the workers upfront their wage and charge accordingly. Then we don’t get the sponging of the non-tippers who never pay what they should.

Reactions: wxman1

dosry5

Nov 28, 2006
Johnston
Sounds like it would be better to end the stupid tipping employees economy. Pay the workers upfront their wage and charge accordingly. Then we don’t get the sponging of the non-tippers who never pay what they should.
Not saying you’re wrong…but what do you think that would do to restaurant prices? They’d definitely increase significantly. And that could crush businesses. No easy answer. And I HATE the tipping culture.

Help Support Us

Become a patron