Tipping question

cycub51

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 13, 2009
Somewhere Iowa
The worst was a spiel as we were heading back from swimming with stingrays in Grand Cayman. The owner of the boat and his son said most of the money they make is from tips and it would be greatly appreciated if you could tip them.

You own the damn company and boat dude.... why not raise the price of going out there? But he suckered a couple hundred bucks out of it.

I always struggle with what to do with small businesses and tipping. The owners of the coffee shop and barbershop in my small town always do the work. Do you still tip them? If I’m at a Starbucks or great clips I would tip. At the local place I feel like I already paid their listed price with their profit built in. I typically tip so no going back now but I always contemplate it.

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
The one non-traditionally tipped person I tip is the lady who cuts my hair. She owns the business, and has no employees, so I assume that she's built the cost for all she needs, but it's so damn cheap ($11.50) and she always does a good job so I tip a few bucks to make it an even $15.

JohnnyFive

Feb 25, 2012
Weve had to have our roof fixed twice in the time weve owned our house and each time there’s a crew Ive set out a cooler with beer, water and/or Gatorade for them. They mostly drink the water and Gatorade. Im not sure if theyre allowed to drink the beer while there to work on the roof or not for obvious reasons.

AgronAlum

Jul 12, 2014
Weve had to have our roof fixed twice in the time weve owned our house and each time there’s a crew Ive set out a cooler with beer, water and/or Gatorade for them. They mostly drink the water and Gatorade. Im not sure if theyre allowed to drink the beer while there to work on the roof or not for obvious reasons.

They probably had their own cooler of beer. Roofers are a different breed.

c.y.c.l.o.n.e.s

Feb 21, 2007
Additional question. Do you tip the kids that carry groceries to your car? I often go to Fareway or our local grocery store because I appreciate the added customer services. Long ago I tried to tip a kid at Dahls after carrying my groceries and he said they weren't allowed to accept tips so I haven't tipped at these other stores.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
I want the Venmo universe to see what the payment is for
Make sure to add the photo of the lady also.
images

• Haha
Reactions: isufbcurt

MJ29

Aug 21, 2020
Additional question. Do you tip the kids that carry groceries to your car? I often go to Fareway or our local grocery store because I appreciate the added customer services. Long ago I tried to tip a kid at Dahls after carrying my groceries and he said they weren't allowed to accept tips so I haven't tipped at these other stores.

I don't think they're allowed to accept tips (just like the Starbucks employees inside a Target or Hyvee cannot accept tips, I learned), but I agree. There are times I would like to tip the carryout people at Fareway.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron