Time's 15 most influential websites of all time

Iastfan112

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 14, 2006
I had same reaction. Pirate Bay, Napster (and other Napster like programs) had more influence on music but the experience they involved technically weren't "websites" in and of themselves.

Google being #1 kind of makes Yahoo pointless on the list. It'd be like having Friendster on the list in addition to Facebook.

Same thing now with Spotify which is the clear frontrunner in the space now. Pandora's an even weirder pick though as it's a US(maybe Canada as well?) only site.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
Same thing now with Spotify which is the clear frontrunner in the space now. Pandora's an even weirder pick though as it's a US(maybe Canada as well?) only site.

Most of these sites I either checked out once and never again, or used as a core part of my online life for many years. Pandora is the only one I really tried for about six months and said, "I never need/want to use this again the rest of my life whether it's free or not". Maybe I'm using it wrong, I prefer Sirius for convenience/reliability/versatility in the car and a lifetime of personal music collection everywhere else.

mj4cy

Asst. Regional Manager
Staff member
Mar 28, 2006
Iowa
Reddit should be higher i feel like maybe swap them and drudge.

I've just barely scratched the surface of reddit.....give me a quick synopsis as to what I'm missing out on

Rabbuk

Mar 1, 2011
I've just barely scratched the surface of reddit.....give me a quick synopsis as to what I'm missing out on
Basically a compilation of everything on the internet that then is upvoted and downvoted accordingly and curated based on that. Also subreddits related to every interest under the sun.

Reactions: mj4cy

dirtyninety

Oct 6, 2012
How about a Top 10 list of the best Decades. Or a Top Ten list of the most beautiful people? I always love those Top 20 cities to live in lists.

To correct the Haters, Drudge is a news aggregator......the majority of links are to New York Times, Wash Post/Google Post, Time, etc. Rarely does it list original content....unless it is some story that is spiked by the cabal. Haters gonna Hate.

urb1

Jan 23, 2010
Urbandale
I had same reaction. Pirate Bay, Napster (and other Napster like programs) had more influence on music but the experience they involved technically weren't "websites" in and of themselves.

Google being #1 kind of makes Yahoo pointless on the list. It'd be like having Friendster on the list in addition to Facebook.

Google is strictly a search engine. Yahoo is a search engine and a news site. More like a newspaper without the paper.

dmclone

Oct 20, 2006
You wouldn't understand why yahoo is on there unless you used it like this below. Think of it as a very large decision tree.

yahoo-1997.jpg

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
How about a Top 10 list of the best Decades. Or a Top Ten list of the most beautiful people? I always love those Top 20 cities to live in lists.

To correct the Haters, Drudge is a news aggregator......the majority of links are to New York Times, Wash Post/Google Post, Time, etc. Rarely does it list original content....unless it is some story that is spiked by the cabal. Haters gonna Hate.

I've always been more offended by Drudge as a design professional than I am politically.

A diner that looks like the 1950s gives me warm nostalgic feelings even though I wasn't alive until the 70s. A website that looks like 1994 in the year 2017 does nothing whatsoever for me.

dirtyninety

Oct 6, 2012
I've always been more offended by Drudge as a design professional than I am politically.

A diner that looks like the 1950s gives me warm nostalgic feelings even though I wasn't alive until the 70s. A website that looks like 1994 in the year 2017 does nothing whatsoever for me.

I've used 4Chan and Reddit....but really, I like the elegance and simplicity of the DOS look after being techno all day. CF has a nice website design....but it is just at the threshold of noise....any more "stuff" would be too much.
If you are a conoisseur of web design, I will share that the mobile app look is really regressive to me.....nothing intuitive. You have to look to see the hidden slide bars and indexes.....laborious....and boring.
No nostalgia for Sweet Caroline, Smoke on the Water, or Dire Straits from me......Renegades of Funk.