Time's 15 most influential websites of all time

RoseClone

Oct 18, 2006
140207_2724044_Weekend_Update_Segment___Grumpy_Old_Man_anvver_2.jpg
Typical list/poll these days... completely ignored everything before the 90s.

Last edited:

IAStubborn

Aug 16, 2012
I like Reddit and spend a lot of time but Drudge has been around for 20 years and gets as nearly as many hits in one month (1.5 billion) as Reddit does in 6 months(1.58 billion). I assume the time people spend on Reddit is a lot higher though. For another comparison, Drudge is usually neck and neck with Google.
Well that explains a lot

CycloneRulzzz

Gameday Guru
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 13, 2008
Nevada, IA
Use 1-7 on a fairly regular basis. Haven't used ebay in probably 10 years and occasionally I'll go to reddit.

dmclone

Oct 20, 2006
I've always been more offended by Drudge as a design professional than I am politically.

A diner that looks like the 1950s gives me warm nostalgic feelings even though I wasn't alive until the 70s. A website that looks like 1994 in the year 2017 does nothing whatsoever for me.

I'll take function over design every time. Google is a perfect example. Get me everything I need on the first page with as few clicks as possible.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
I'll take function over design every time. Google is a perfect example. Get me everything I need on the first page with as few clicks as possible.

Obviously as a design professional I'm not anti-function, it's the first rule and what separates a designer from an artist. Nothing Google does on any of their apps, products or sites looks like it has been unchanged since the mid 90s. They are constantly streamlining and innovating in design with thousands of designers over the years, simple doesn't mean no work goes into something. Drudge is literally the exact same site you would find in the early or mid 90s at the dawn of the internet, it's incredible that such a primitive site with almost no design effort or organization is still so popular.

Drudge isn't a good functional layout, it's just a mess of links. People who have gotten used to it for decades think it's a good simple layout only because of familiarity. No different than when CF makes a great update and a certain % insist the old site was better for a few months. Drudge is that but since the dawn of the internet. Again I'm talking purely design and again it's mostly just fascination, it's like if the Model T still sold in the same numbers 2017 cars sell.

Judoka

Jun 16, 2010
Timbuktu
Reddit should be higher i feel like maybe swap them and drudge.

Reddit is the current "it" site but it is like Twitter in that people who use it think it is a lot more widespread and important than it actually is. You could probably argue it is currently one of the top 15 most influential websites, but not in the context of overall history of the web.

• Agree
Reactions: HFCS