Time to fire Jeff Myers, Manning.

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Malone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 7, 2010
Des Moines
I don't agree at all. We dominated the game, but we don't score TDs when we get in the red zone. We also don't make good play calls or decisions when it's 3rd and short or 4th and short. We are also constantly playing from behind in the 2nd half.
Heads up - that’s part of preparedness.

DSMCy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 1, 2013
West Des Moines
I bet X is glad he came back to show the NFL his broad repertoire of 2 yard drags.
NFL Scout: Hey X, yah we got your highlight tape, but why did you send the same play 30 times?
Oh these are 30 different plays, but the same route, got it.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
NFL Scout: Hey X, yah we got your highlight tape, but why did you send the same play 30 times?
Oh these are 30 different plays, but the same route, got it.

That's the thing...does ISU need to be complex?

KSU used to run like 5 plays or something and it didn't matter because they ran them very well.

Reactions: SDClone

DeereClone

Nov 16, 2009
Football games are won by scoring points. If your offense isn't scoring points, you are failing. Amassing yards and leading in offensive efficiency are useless metrics if drives don't end with a score, which preferably should be a TD.

IMO, the ball control "eat-the-clock" offense is fine for a team that is at the beginning of rebuild, like at the beginning of Campbell's tenure. But there comes a point where the team needs to take the next step, and this offensive scheme isn't appropriate, at least not in the Big 12, for a team that wants to challenge for a conference championship. It requires too much precision and perfection to reliably score enough points to win 7,8,9 conference games.

I’m fine with the ball-control offense, but it needs to be complimented with smart football and good special teams. It doesn’t work when your team makes stupid mistakes and is awful on special teams.

SDClone

Oct 3, 2007
Ankeny, Iowa
That's the thing...does ISU need to be complex?

KSU used to run like 5 plays or something and it didn't matter because they ran them very well.
All you really need is a handful of plays that you can run out a few different formations and have them down to perfection, along with a few out of the bag stuff. Don’t need anything flashy like they are throwing out there game after game.

Reactions: t-noah

Malone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 7, 2010
Des Moines
7.5 hours later and sobered up, my thoughts still move towards needing top to bottom change with the offensive staff. It seems as though Campbell thought he could take a non-power 5 approach in hiring but you can’t put Myers in that position. The oline has been somewhere between average and abysmal with few exceptions in 7 years. Our OC is either shackled by Campbell or clueless.

Even if a change were to happen, not sure it’d matter much. Does a change at any staff position matter much if Campbell insists on stamping his footprint on the playcalling? This offense needs to see a radical change akin to the three down lineman change made mid-Texas game, but it appears that we have a staff that’s content with - even maybe giddy at the thought of - close, knuckle dragging games instead of making in-game changes and going for the jugular. We have something working attacking with Dean over the middle and completely go away from it. We have a few successful route trees that go beyond five yards then completely go away from attacking it in favor of predictable shallow crosses. We’re playing not to lose, and what makes it harder watching today is seeing the opposing team -one with similar if lesser talent - making aggressive, creative calls playing to win.

There’s a disturbing contentedness to the coaching. I get Dekkers doesn’t have a ton of game experience but it was glaringly obvious today that we kept going to a limiting well when the situation called for something different.

RonBurgundy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 5, 2017
JFC. So many idiots in this thread. Campbell is not firing anyone. ANYONE. Just get it through your ignorant heads that this is our staff for this year. NO ONE IS GETTING FIRED no matter what some keyboard idiot says.

You want to drive Matt off? This is how you crack open that door.

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013
I will disagree with a lot of the frustration on running the crossers behind the sticks on 3rd down. That’s a bread and butter concept used in the NFL all the time. And ISU had two with X catching the ball with tons of space one on one, and he didn’t have to elude the tackle, he just had to not get completely stonewalled and get the ball a foot beyond contact. Every team would take their best WR in space and chance that a DB can’t make a perfect form tackle without giving an inch after contact.

• Disagree
Reactions: Lineup

cayin

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
7.5 hours later and sobered up, my thoughts still move towards needing top to bottom change with the offensive staff. It seems as though Campbell thought he could take a non-power 5 approach in hiring but you can’t put Myers in that position. The oline has been somewhere between average and abysmal with few exceptions in 7 years. Our OC is either shackled by Campbell or clueless.

Even if a change were to happen, not sure it’d matter much. Does a change at any staff position matter much if Campbell insists on stamping his footprint on the playcalling? This offense needs to see a radical change akin to the three down lineman change made mid-Texas game, but it appears that we have a staff that’s content with - even maybe giddy at the thought of - close, knuckle dragging games instead of making in-game changes and going for the jugular. We have something working attacking with Dean over the middle and completely go away from it. We have a few successful route trees that go beyond five yards then completely go away from attacking it in favor of predictable shallow crosses. We’re playing not to lose, and what makes it harder watching today is seeing the opposing team -one with similar if lesser talent - making aggressive, creative calls playing to win.

There’s a disturbing contentedness to the coaching. I get Dekkers doesn’t have a ton of game experience but it was glaringly obvious today that we kept going to a limiting well when the situation called for something different.
It almost seems like Campbell is trying to be Iowa 2.0. Very comfortable playing in tight low scoring games. The problem is Kirk is way better at it than Campbell, Kirk has elite special teams. So if you don't have that, then you have no business trying to win games like they do.

Reactions: Dowwmeow and t-noah

Cyballz

Aug 20, 2009
Why does everyone think the offense would be different under scheelhaase? If you want the problems to be corrected there needs to be some input outside the program. The problems on offense stem from every promotion being from within.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
There is no creativity or misdirection in the play calling. Ku has guys running all over the place and Baylor hit us with the reverse pass for a td. We line up in shot gun and throw 2 yard outs or slants

I thought the less creative yesterday, the better things went, i.e. just getting out and getting downhill on offense. Straight dives seemed to at least get some push instead of outside zoneish stuff and simple passes to the holes in the defense were better.

Reactions: t-noah

keepngoal

OKA: keepingoal
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 20, 2006
Executing plays = pretty good play calling. Not executing plays = pretty bad play calling. Last two weeks we haven’t executed plays against good Ds.

Dragging receivers across the field in front of their LTG, is pretty standard play. We dropped passes, ran wrong routes, threw to double coverage, threw to wrong routes, missed blocks. Starting RB hurt (I also think Dekkers is injured). This isn’t OC issue.. yet.

What I didn’t like from the coaching staff is what seems a lack of countering their aggression from the edges. Needed some hard counts … they were jumping at our cadence. Needed them on their heels at times, and we didn’t try.

• Dumb
Reactions: ClonesInDallas

xboxfever

Nov 4, 2008
I love how much I’ve been crapped on for this take, and I suggested it for the first time a long time ago.

Manning wasted the best QB, RB, and TEs in program history. What do you think he’s going to do with worse talent?
You, me, and @Jeremy have all been saying this for years, and we’re always crapped on for it. It was obvious Prohm was going to bury the basketball program after year one when he wasted 6(!!!!) future NBA players, and I was crapped on for saying it his whole tenure. Some people can’t take off their rose colored glasses and see the obvious when it’s staring them straight in the face. Manning is another example. People are finally seeing it, even though it’s been obvious for years. For gods sake, Purdy was a playmaker his freshman year by making plays out of nothing with his feet. Manning comes back and the first thing he says is he wants Purdy to quit using his legs. Are you ******* kidding? He’s a god damn moron and will be Campbell’s downfall.

ClonerJams

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 26, 2022
Why does everyone think the offense would be different under scheelhaase? If you want the problems to be corrected there needs to be some input outside the program. The problems on offense stem from every promotion being from within.
Part of it is that he is a rising star in the coaching world. If you want to keep him on staff, promoting him to OC seems to be the best way to do it before another school does.

Status
Not open for further replies.