Time to cut out our Busch Light love affair

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
I know some don't agree on here, but there has started to be a significant push to contact advertisers to pull their funding from the DMR. Subscriptions are one thing, but if you get business to pull their ad money out that really hurts the bottom line.

This is the angle a friend of mine took. Busch Light pulled their support of Carson over this ridiculous story so he went after advertisers who had the largest ads in today's paper

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
yeah, the opportunists are getting in on it. They know what to do when the no-Pc crowd gets its dander up.

Yep. There are people latching onto this trying to make it about a larger issue (people saying awful **** in general and being called out for it) when this is really about a much more narrow issue- someone being hit as an adult for words they said before they were an adult.

Blatantly obvious a lot of people attacking the register had an axe to grind with them before (such as the poster above calling them "the des marxist rag") and theyre taking any excuse to attack the register.

• Agree
  • Funny
Reactions: Doc and brett108

Isualum13

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 27, 2018
Genesso Brewing Company in Illinois is tapping a new beer that they are naming "Iowa Legend" in honor of what Carson has done/is doing. Their statement is attached.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20190926-040655_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20190926-040655_Chrome.jpg
    90.9 KB · Views: 13
Reactions: cyclonesurveyor

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
No apology or comment from DMR yet. Are they seriously just going to stay silent and try to move on like this never happened? I hope everyone keeps this story front and center until they come out and admit their mistake.

• Agree
Reactions: 2speedy1

Die4Cy

Jan 2, 2010
I know some don't agree on here, but there has started to be a significant push to contact advertisers to pull their funding from the DMR. Subscriptions are one thing, but if you get business to pull their ad money out that really hurts the bottom line.
No apology or comment from DMR yet. Are they seriously just going to stay silent and try to move on like this never happened? I hope everyone keeps this story front and center until they come out and admit their mistake.

I'm not sure what an apology would do at this point, and I'm no fan of boycotts or blasting advertisers. The decision to maintain Aaron Calvin or editors there should be the DMR's alone and not based upon the level of outrage on this story. If people want to cancel subscriptions to that paper, they should.

All I know is the very first comment on every thing they, and Calvin, post, until the end of time, ought to be, "This is the organization/person that used old tweets from his teenage years to damage the guy who raised a million dollars for a kids hospital." And it should always be the most liked comment so that it stays right at the top where everybody can see it.

Reactions: Acylum

Knownothing

Nov 22, 2006
I think the register did not understand it audience. I think with the way National stuff is happening and being part of the "Woke" culture. They tried to run that story and it back fired. We are not San Francisco or New York. It's Iowa. Even both parties Dems and Repubs don't like this whole nonsense going on in the country. Sure there are some but overall Iowans are good people who like seeing good.

• Agree
Reactions: clone1990

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
I think the register did not understand it audience. I think with the way National stuff is happening and being part of the "Woke" culture. They tried to run that story and it back fired. We are not San Francisco or New York. It's Iowa. Even both parties Dems and Repubs don't like this whole nonsense going on in the country. Sure there are some but overall Iowans are good people who like seeing good.

This is dumb. They are a struggling industry grasping for anything and forced to take risks. It has nothing to do with “culture” as you can see that both sides of the aisle are pretty united on this.

KnappShack

May 26, 2008
Parts Unknown
Yep. There are people latching onto this trying to make it about a larger issue (people saying awful **** in general and being called out for it) when this is really about a much more narrow issue- someone being hit as an adult for words they said before they were an adult.

Blatantly obvious a lot of people attacking the register had an axe to grind with them before (such as the poster above calling them "the des marxist rag") and theyre taking any excuse to attack the register.

The DMR went full TMZ to use the tweets of a child to drive a story

Throw in questionable tweets from the DMR reporter and you have this complete train wreck go full circle

Ask no quarter. Give no quarter. I have zero sympathy for the DMR.

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013
The DMR went full TMZ to use the tweets of a child to drive a story

Throw in questionable tweets from the DMR reporter and you have this complete train wreck go full circle

Ask no quarter. Give no quarter. I have zero sympathy for the DMR.

The Register has ran numerous uninformed smear campaigns against my wife's employer so my support for them has been minimal anyways but they are 100% dead to me now. There are tons of places to get local news and Iowa State coverage that doesn't involve everyone's favorite awkward uncle...

Sparkplug

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 9, 2008
Central Iowa
Carol Hunter wrote that they felt that those who donated or planned to donate needed to know about the Tweets.

Because of her concern about how I spend my money I canceled my subscription to the DMR

When the customer service representative asked why I was canceling I told her because they have a reporter that is racist, homophobic and dislikes police. There was silence.

Reactions: Cardinal2001

Doc

This is it Morty
Aug 6, 2006
Denver

What do you want them to apologize for? Being journalists and all, they shouldn’t have to apologize for digging through the kids social media. I think they showed poor judgment when they decided to include it in the profile, but then informing Carson of it so he could get out in front of it and look good doing so was good.

And you can’t really expect them to immediately discipline or fire that reporter over his old tweets.

Dandy

Future CF Mod
Oct 11, 2012
Western Iowa
Imagine being the salesperson who has to go out and try to bring in new DMR ads after this.

CyCloned

Oct 18, 2006
Robins, Iowa
I am not a Busch light drinker anyway, so it doesn't affect me, but this is more of an example of how the media, coupled with social media has the ability to destroy anything and anybody in a few minutes. That article was toxic, and AB bailed as soon as they saw it. Now it would have been nice if they at least thought about it a week or so, but again, the speed of social media forces companies into fast reactions. I assure you that the social justice league was sharpening their axes to come after AB if they did not back away.

What the Register did was reprehensible, uncalled for, and just plain stupid. Funny how they just couldn't see that before hand.

CyCloned

Oct 18, 2006
Robins, Iowa
What do you want them to apologize for? Being journalists and all, they shouldn’t have to apologize for digging through the kids social media. I think they showed poor judgment when they decided to include it in the profile, but then informing Carson of it so he could get out in front of it and look good doing so was good.

And you can’t really expect them to immediately discipline or fire that reporter over his old tweets.

This is the problem. Journalists used to report on the news. Investigative reporting was about finding something someone is doing wrong and bring it to light. There was no reason to check on Carson's tweets from 7 years ago. Even the guy that investigated had thing he had posted that were as bad or worse than Carson's. Just imagine how many, good, positive tweet that moron had to read through before he found something a 16 year old copied from a comedy bit? Not defending what he did when he was 16, but, in the scheme of things, and how he has led his life, and the great gesture he was making, it just seems to make sense to let it go. By all accounts, Carson is a great human being. Not sure you can say that about some of the people at the Register.

They don't need to apologize, they will reap the rewards for their poor judgement.

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA

Some kind of formal acknowledgement about their poor judgement to report his tweets from 8 years ago that had absolutely no relevance to Carson's story. They already were trying to play the victim blame card Tuesday night when they got all the backlash, for their own sake to do some damage control and rebuild their reputation they need to own up to their mistake and not try to spin it or defend it and show they have taken appropriate measures and lay out something to show they are going to put something in place so a PR nightmare like this doesn't happen again. Show some accountability basically. They surely lost a ton of subscribers, advertisers, and social media following from this and by staying silent on this since their lame explanation and statement Tuesday night is not helping their PR issue.

And I will go as far to say that both the editor and reporter who ran this story should be fired. Most of us would probably be fired from our job if we caused national embarrassment and financial losses to our employer like they have done and just because they are members of the media doesn't mean they should be held to different standards. They took what was a great story and basically pissed on it by digging up and publishing his old tweets. Carson was not doing this to keep the money for himself or get national media attention. He had no idea what was about to happen when he made that sign, he just wanted a case of beer and now he's probably going to raise and donate in less than a month's time around $2 million dollars for a children's hospital. That's the story not something stupid he tweeted as a 16 year kid 8 years ago. The DMR could have pulled 100 people off the street that knew about Carson's story and asked them what they thought about if they were to publish those tweets as part of a profile story and I bet you every single one of them would have told them they would be stupid to do so.

NickTheGreat

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 17, 2012
Central Iowa
I'm surprised that people are just now realizing how shoddy the Register has become in recent years. I cancelled my subscription and quit paying attention to them long ago, about the time they went "Hawk Central" on things.

mywayorcyway

Mar 1, 2012
Phoenix
Social media turned this from a kid posting a funny sign into something that somehow managed to raise a $1MM+ dollars FOR A CHILDREN'S HOSPITAL in the blink of an eye.

The Register managed to turn it into a "Carson is a racist" in the blink of an eye when it was completely unnecessary. From a hypocritical reporter.

Read the Deadspin comments on this story:
https://deadspin.com/is-beer-money-sign-man-sorry-for-old-racist-tweets-1838457224

From everything I've read, Carson is a good dude. Those who haven't followed the story closely don't agree. And that's BS.

• Winner
Reactions: CYdTracked

Cardinal2001

Feb 14, 2007
Ames

Why not? That's exactly what they asked for, when Hunter said we should all know about the tweets to be informed about our money expenditures, and why they went to AB for reaction about the tweets. They made their bed, they haven't policed their own with the exact same situation, yet you defend that?

• Winner
Reactions: CYdTracked

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron