Time for a Real Discussion About Caitlin Clark

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
I don't disagree, apples and oranges to compare and I haven't really cared all that much about CC and the Pete record.

That said, in looking at your list, the first three points could be applied to the men's college game/record all by itself. MBB today is a different era with different rules. MBB today has a shot clock whereas decades ago it didn't. MBB today has a 3 pt shot, whereas it didn't decades ago. And even your last point, what if a MBB player came along and scored more points than Maravich by playing 4 years instead of 3? I know it's not likely, but it's possible, and if it did happen, would that record be recognized given that it would've been achieved with all of the same advantages as CC has had?

It should have an asterisk IMO.

• Dumb
  • Haha
Reactions: 7Got6 and 1776

cytor

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 20, 2011
I don't disagree, apples and oranges to compare and I haven't really cared all that much about CC and the Pete record.

That said, in looking at your list, the first three points could be applied to the men's college game/record all by itself. MBB today is a different era with different rules. MBB today has a shot clock whereas decades ago it didn't. MBB today has a 3 pt shot, whereas it didn't decades ago. And even your last point, what if a MBB player came along and scored more points than Maravich by playing 4 years instead of 3? I know it's not likely, but it's possible, and if it did happen, would that record be recognized given that it would've been achieved with all of the same advantages as CC has had?
Well stated. Let's be honest... any player on Pistol's level will declare for the draft long before then.

cytor

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 20, 2011
Crazy to think that was still a thing into 1970. When did Rupp start playing black players?

Shawker

This May Not Be Accurate
Jun 19, 2014
Des Moines
The light bulb will go on for Hawk fans one of these days that you actually have to shoot more to score more. They are always knocking Pete for how much he shot.

In order to score in 3 years the amount CC scored in 4 years…. you need to shoot…. a LOT. Kinda how math works.
The irony in this post is incredible.

Shawker

This May Not Be Accurate
Jun 19, 2014
Des Moines
Honest question…. did CC save Fran his job?

If not for CC…. attendance for both WBB and MBB would have been horrible this year in IC. Attendance at the WBB games may have saved the bottom line for the athletics department this winter.
You realize Iowa was top 10 in attendance for women's basketball before CC right?

rosshm16

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 8, 2023
Ashley broke the scoring record in four years.

She was at 2369 points after her 4th year.
Angie Welle as at 2149.
Bridget Carleton was 2142.
I just mean the fifth-year stats shouldn't count for such things.

DSMCy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 1, 2013
West Des Moines

images

4cy16

Jun 14, 2021
Almost happened last year with the guy from Detroit Mercy. In fact Detroit Mercy was trying to shoe horn their way into a post season tournament to get him the record.

My feeling on this is if we are going to give record across gendered sports; then we have to recognize the lower level scoring leaders as the rightful record holders.

CC is the greatest scorer in women's basketball history and that's pretty cool the state produced that talent. We don't have to try and make it something more than that.
I see that Detroit Mercy has one just one game. The player for Mercy, his dad was the head coach there.

Cyhig

Nov 29, 2017
It should have an asterisk; however, Ashley still broke Angie Welle's record in four years and is our all-time leading scorer.
That's just how records work. Look no further than the NFL. Many single season records are being broken now because there are 17 games. It makes Erik Dickerson's single season rushing record more astonishing as there were only 14 games back then. But if/when someone breaks Dickerson's record, there won't be an asterisk.

So, officially there won't be an asterisk. However, many individuals may have different beliefs on what the true record should be

Edit: and as vocal as I have been against CC, I will agree there won't ever be an asterisk next to her scoring record. She is extremely talented and a great scorer with incredible range. Just wish her on court attitude was more mature

Three4Cy

Jan 19, 2010
West Des Moines
That's just how records work. Look no further than the NFL. Many single season records are being broken now because there are 17 games. It makes Erik Dickerson's single season rushing record more astonishing as there were only 14 games back then. But if/when someone breaks Dickerson's record, there won't be an asterisk.

So, officially there won't be an asterisk. However, many individuals may have different beliefs on what the true record should be

Edit: and as vocal as I have been against CC, I will agree there won't ever be an asterisk next to her scoring record. She is extremely talented and a great scorer with incredible range. Just wish her on court attitude was more mature
Here's my argument:
A group of players got an extra year; it's not like the NCAA decided after COVID that all college players get to play five years. It was a temporary change; this year's juniors who were freshmen in the 21-22 season reverted to four years.

The NFL made a permanent change to go to 17 games; the NCAA did not change to allow players another year.

CC's records are even more incredible when you figure her freshman year was fewer games than a regular season, and she beat Kelsey Plum's record in fewer games than Kelsey played.

• Agree
Reactions: Cyhig

houjix

Jul 21, 2021

Dickerson's record was set during a 16 game season. The NFL expanded to 16 games in 1978. Dickerson's record was in 1984. 6 guys since have eclipsed 2K with Adrian Peterson coming within 8 yards in 2012. Nobody has topped 2K yet in the 17 game schedule. His record may never be broken simply because of the devaluation of the bell cow RB in the NFL.

The receiving yards record has been getting close the last couple of years and that one I expect will get broken soon. I remember when Moss finally broke Rice's receiving TD record. What some people don't realize is Rice set his during the strike shortened season of of 1987 and did it during 12 games and threw in a rushing TD to boot.

• Informative
Reactions: 1776 and Cyhig

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
Waiting for when the 22 sticker to be pasted on the free throw line. Are they going to immortalize her locker to?
Free throw line and wherever she hits her last shot on the court from. Then when the floor is replaced Iowa will auction those 3 chunks off, to help pay their legal bills.

• Haha
Reactions: DrShip

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron