Time for a Real Discussion About Caitlin Clark

cytor

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 20, 2011
It seems really random and weird that Nolan Ryan showed up. It's his choice to attend, but seems out of the ordinary. Any chance he's CC's real father? :jimlad:

AlCyJim

Aug 11, 2022
Yeah, I was there for that game too. Hawkroaches around us (didn't know any of them) were constant douches throughout the game, even kicking the back of our seat to ask if we were enjoying the game. I grew up a Hawk fan until I attended ISU. Wife was a Hawk fan when I married her. Now that she has experienced that "fandom" in person several times, she is more anti-Hawk then me.
Mizzou fans back in the 80s were bad, but they were better behaved at our ass-kicking down there last year.
they can be such dbags. at the ISU womens game saturday there was a guy strutting around in his hok sweatshirt, looking all smug and proud, while carrying around his daughter dressed as a cyclone cheerleader and having another one walking beside him decked out in cyclone colors. surprised they weren't wearing cc clothes. at least the girls will grow up right.

rosshm16

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 8, 2023
If you don't count freshman year and count all field goals for two points only, she's still got a little ways to go (2493 points vs. 3667 points for Pistol).

edit: oops, used 3PA instead of 3PM.

Last edited:

cytor

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 20, 2011
If you don't count freshman year and count all field goals for two points only, she's still got a little ways to go (1840 points vs. 3667 points for Pistol).
Pistol averaged 44.2 ppg. CC is nowhere near that level... even with a 3 point line AND a shot clock.

• Haha
Reactions: 1776

rosshm16

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 8, 2023
Pistol averaged 44.2 ppg. CC is nowhere near that level... even with a 3 point line AND a shot clock.
I was off there sorry, used three-pointers attempted instead of three-pointers made. But she's still ~1200 points short.

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
Honest question…. did CC save Fran his job?

If not for CC…. attendance for both WBB and MBB would have been horrible this year in IC. Attendance at the WBB games may have saved the bottom line for the athletics department this winter.

• Dumb
Reactions: Shawker

cytor

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 20, 2011
Honest question…. did CC save Fran his job?

If not for CC…. attendance for both WBB and MBB would have been horrible this year in IC. Attendance at the WBB games may have saved the bottom line for the athletics department this winter.
If not for Iowa wrestling, They could easily consider building a new arena the size of Baylor or Houston.

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
Which is remarkable, considering the other team could have held the ball as long as they wanted to in order to prevent him from scoring. To get the 44.2 average and no 3 point line, you have to shoot more.

The light bulb will go on for Hawk fans one of these days that you actually have to shoot more to score more. They are always knocking Pete for how much he shot.

In order to score in 3 years the amount CC scored in 4 years…. you need to shoot…. a LOT. Kinda how math works.

Reactions: Carlisle Clone

rosshm16

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 8, 2023
Which is remarkable, considering the other team could have held the ball as long as they wanted to in order to prevent him from scoring. To get the 44.2 average and no 3 point line, you have to shoot more.
You mean to tell me Pistol scored 44 points/game without a shot clock? That's remarkable if so.

rosshm16

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 8, 2023
Before anyone calls me a homer, I also think it's b.s. that Ashley Joens has our career scoring record. Stats accumulated beyond the first four years shouldn't count.

cytor

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 20, 2011
The mens and womens scoring records really cannot be compared. They are 2 very different games:
  • different rules, different eras
  • shot clock vs no shot clock
  • no 3 point line vs 3 point line
  • regulation sized ball vs smaller ball
  • 4 years playing vs 3 years playing
Pistol is the men's leader (his average will never be bested) and CC is top dog for women's scoring as it stands today.

Gonzo

Mar 10, 2009
Behind you
The mens and womens scoring records really cannot be compared. They are 2 very different games:
  • different rules, different eras
  • shot clock vs no shot clock
  • no 3 point line vs 3 point line
  • regulation sized ball vs smaller ball
  • 4 years playing vs 3 years playing
Pistol is the men's leader (his average will never be bested) and CC is top dog for women's scoring as it stands today.
I don't disagree, apples and oranges to compare and I haven't really cared all that much about CC and the Pete record.

That said, in looking at your list, the first three points could be applied to the men's college game/record all by itself. MBB today is a different era with different rules. MBB today has a shot clock whereas decades ago it didn't. MBB today has a 3 pt shot, whereas it didn't decades ago. And even your last point, what if a MBB player came along and scored more points than Maravich by playing 4 years instead of 3? I know it's not likely, but it's possible, and if it did happen, would that record be recognized given that it would've been achieved with all of the same advantages as CC has had?

Cyballzz

Feb 1, 2010
I don't disagree, apples and oranges to compare and I haven't really cared all that much about CC and the Pete record.

That said, in looking at your list, the first three points could be applied to the men's college game/record all by itself. MBB today is a different era with different rules. MBB today has a shot clock whereas decades ago it didn't. MBB today has a 3 pt shot, whereas it didn't decades ago. And what if a MBB player came along and scored more points than Maravich by playing 4 years instead of 3. I know it's not likely, but it's possible, and if it did happen, would that record be recognized given that it would've been achieved with all of the same advantages as CC has had?

Almost happened last year with the guy from Detroit Mercy. In fact Detroit Mercy was trying to shoe horn their way into a post season tournament to get him the record.

My feeling on this is if we are going to give record across gendered sports; then we have to recognize the lower level scoring leaders as the rightful record holders.

CC is the greatest scorer in women's basketball history and that's pretty cool the state produced that talent. We don't have to try and make it something more than that.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron