Time for a Real Discussion About Caitlin Clark

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
What's the over/under on how long the break in action will be when they stop play after she breaks the record? I'm going to say 4 minutes. What do you think?

On the radio this morning they are claiming nothing, we shall see. Supposedly Clark just wants to play the game. So I'm guessing if they do that there will be a post game ball presentation etc...

cycloner29

Dec 17, 2008
Ames
His wife is definitely wearing the CC jersey to bed tonight.
This was a warm up last night for Murph and his wife.

condom-fullbodycondom.gif

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
It was actually a good paper then.
Yeah, they said they got rid of the Big Peach because they couldn't do color photos on the peach colored paper. It had cache back then though. They could have just continued with peach for the first and last page and done the rest of the sports section with white paper and color photos, but I get that you want that splash with the big color photo on the front page of the section.

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny

Wow. She raised ticket prices a whole $60.00.

And the "average" is going to include worthless resale games like noncon buy games. Look at what the conference games are listed for on StubHub on average and it's way higher than $18.

swiacy

Apr 9, 2009
Women's BB has a chance to capitalize with tonight's CC breaking the record against Michigan in IC. Having the game telecast on the BTN would have been a negative for public consumption but relegating it to streaming on Peacock looks like a real lost opportunity. Big 10 probably thought at the time that NBC's financial offer was too much to pass up but I wonder how much money was left on the table with what advertisers would have paid for commercials on regular TV. Plus the exposure for women's BB on a national level.

throwittoblythe

Aug 7, 2006
Minneapolis, MN

Wow. She raised ticket prices a whole $60.00.

It's a bit of a chicken and the egg thing for me. The CC industrial complex completely ignores it, though. She is playing a big role in the growth in interest of women's college BB, no doubt. But she is also riding a wave of interest, as well. There have been huge stars in the past, but interest never grew (Tarausi, Bird, Griner, Ionescu, etc). Why is that?

A. No social media. Unless you hit an incredible shot to win a game, women's college bball had zero coverage on Sportscenter. Now you can find all those on IG/TikTok.

B. No TV coverage AT ALL. How easy was it to watch an Iowa road women's game 5, 10 years ago? Before the conference networks and streaming, you were lucky if you could find the game on, at all. Now I can watch almost any major team via streaming. Hell, the networks now have their own gameday shows for women's bball.

C. No NIL, of course.

CC's passing abilities and logo-deep range make her a self-generating highlight reel perfect for our "5 second clip" culture. That's a credit to her and her skills. But people are ignoring that she's contributing to AND riding a wave that was already occurring; she hit her peak stardom at the perfect time.

CRcyclone6

Bookie
Dec 27, 2007
Cedar Rapids
Well, the NBA stopped the game in Utah when Kareem broke the NBA record at the time. I'm sure there will be a court rush when it happens tonight.

Jer

Opinionated
Feb 28, 2006
Who’s bigger nationally? Caitlin Clark or Taylor Swift? I can see an argument for both.
Taylor Swift is arguably the biggest name globally at this point, regardless of your demographic. Caitlin Clark is an Iowa story and short-lived national story for those that follow sports. Not discounting what she's done or how good she is, but there is no ******* way she's a nationally recognizable name for the majority of the population.

Cydkar

Apr 12, 2006
Taylor Swift is arguably the biggest name globally at this point, regardless of your demographic. Caitlin Clark is an Iowa story and short-lived national story for those that follow sports. Not discounting what she's done or how good she is, but there is no ******* way she's a nationally recognizable name for the majority of the population.
Uhmmm, it was a joke.

CRcyclone6

Bookie
Dec 27, 2007
Cedar Rapids
On the radio this morning they are claiming nothing, we shall see. Supposedly Clark just wants to play the game. So I'm guessing if they do that there will be a post game ball presentation etc...
If they do stop play for a few, the Michigan coach should go over to the PA, "this is ********! this is not Big Ten protocol!"

CydeofFries

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 10, 2017
The big thing that gets me is so many people act like talking about her = talking about women's basketball and that is not the case. I mean hell, 2GNC this week talked about her and Bluder for 15 minutes and never once mentioned the score or any other players for either team. Showing a highlight package of her making shots isn't talking about women's basketball, it's talking about one person. It's a stark contrast once you start looking from what they are saying to what they aren't, and most of the time (not all), it's only one player. When she's gone the conversation is going to be gone too. It's not growing the game.

Contrast that with one of the Williams and Blum pods this week where they actually talked through how they were doubling Audi and going through the growing pains on the court and scouting. That is actually talking about women's basketball.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron