Thoughts

sloaner

Apr 19, 2006
Indianola, IA
1. Anyone else think Iowa fans will be booing Stanzi by Halftime?

2. I think our defense is going to handle Iowa a lot better than expected. Numerous times I saw the whole defensive line substitute in at the same time. So not only were we playing younger players, but we were playing a lot at the same time.

3. If Iowa stacks the box like KSU did, we will have 350 yards passing easily.

keepngoal

OKA: keepingoal
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 20, 2006
1. No, they won't boo. but a guy can dream.

2. I agree to a point. We have to keep our D fresh by getting 1st downs. Then #2 happens. ala 2007.

3. Yes. But they won't. We will see the nickel 1/2 of the time from Iowas D.

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
1. Anyone else think Iowa fans will be booing Stanzi by Halftime?

I have to admit, if I see Jake run on the field I'm going to be mighty tempted to mercilessly boo, just to be that guy.

MontyBurns

Jan 27, 2008
They aren't booing the player, they're booing the coaching staff. But not the head coach who can do no wrong, they're only booing the coordinators who can't do anything right.

Reactions: tim_redd

Landshark

Jan 23, 2007
Ankeny, IA
My 2 keys to victory for both teams.

ISU: 1-Establish the run.
2-Shore up the tackling.

Iowa: 1-Avoid the blitz.
2-Ball control.

The past 4 years the home team has won the game, I feel the same again.
Iowa by 9.

Aclone

Dec 14, 2007
Des Moines, Ia.
Maybe after 11 years, Norm Parker has learned that teams sometimes play more than 2 wideouts?

Never mind. We both know the answer to that one.:no:

It's probably more like "after eten years, Parker finally has more than one (if that) decent corner at a time to put on the field. " :biggrin:

BigLame

Feb 6, 2008
Western IA
The fans won't boo, because it's been an issue for the past week or two now.
But it will be deathly quiet after he goes 6 for 14 for 65 yards and a couple picks, mark my words on that.
Yeah, I agree we will be better against the run than most think. Seems like last year all we heard was 'Albert Young this' and 'Damian Sims' that. One hard hit from Ace, and AY sat the rest of the game.
From what I remember, Sh Greene isn't known to be ultra-durable.
Last, and not least, I think ISU is usually so disrespected, and this is still evident in the point spread. I think the last time we played in Iowa City we had the more talented team. We were just out-coached. We did not run as much as we should, and the Hawks' play action (and in particular, to the TE) and play-calling did us in.

What are the two main differences between now and then?
1st: coaching staff
2nd: player types/talent
Chiz and the crew are entering their 2nd year, and they are still establishing their imprint on the team and program as a whole.

In retrospect, last year was we just didn't have enough big plays - Chiz repeatedly said this. Despite breakdowns, etc thus far thru 2 games, do you think this team has proven it can make more big plays? I don't like to repeat Jimmy Johnson (when he was rebuilding the Dallas Cowboys), but he said you need to have guys that can make plays, plain and simple.

In summary of this long rant, the team to make the most big plays and limit the opposition's number of big plays wins this game, may it be long passes, runs, turnovers, or sacks. I expect that team to be the Cyclones.

cybsball20

Nov 26, 2006
Des Moines, IA

2-Shore up the tackling.

2-Ball control.

Iowa by 9.

I think we need to spread it around first to set up the run. Definately agree with shoring up the tackling though.

djkent01

Feb 21, 2008
Des Moines, IA
For some reason, I have a sense we're going to see a "new look" Hawkeye team this weekend. Stanzi was made the starter for a reason - more mobility. The Iowa D has played a little bit of nickel this season - more so than in previous years in early games (IMO).

Maybe they've finally figured out the "same old" doesn't work anymore. And if they have, we still have to see of their athletes can play the new schemes. I think this is the most "interesting" game we'll see in this series for quite some time.

Rogue52

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 20, 2006
Cedar Rapids, IA
I think we need to spread it around first to set up the run. Definately agree with shoring up the tackling though.

I agree. Our offensive line needs the passing game to set up the run at this point in time. Hopefully, A-Rob is ready to go.

MontyBurns

Jan 27, 2008
For some reason, I have a sense we're going to see a "new look" Hawkeye team this weekend. Stanzi was made the starter for a reason - more mobility.

They flat out would never win with Jake. He's too short to see the field and he is unable to make decisions fast enough for college football. What scares me about Stanzi is that a couple of times on 3rd downs when he did not have any open receivers he had the presence of mind to see a running lane, pull the ball down, and run for the first down. That may be a basic part of quarterback play, but it's something Jake can't do -- he would just stand there looking lost and by the time he figured out he should run, he would be sacked or tackled for a 1 yard gain. It's not unstoppable, but planning to contain a real QB presents a problem that didn't exist when Jake had the reins.

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI

2-Shore up the tackling.

2-Ball control.

Iowa by 9.

You all might know more about football than I, but I would think that with the specifics of this game - Iowa "supposedly" having a great run defense, a questionable pass defense, difficulty shutting down speedy spread offenses, and with ISU's passing game working the way it is right now, that it would make much more sense if ISU spread out Iowa's defense by passing the ball, opening up the middle of the field and then being able to run it down their throats.

hoosman

Sep 4, 2006
Davenport
You are right. Scratch where it itches. We also need to be aware and responsive to their halftime adjustments.