Thoughts on Dickie V's suggestion during last nights game

Yellow Snow

Full of nonsense....
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 19, 2006
Osage, IA
A shorter shot clock would just mean every team would recruit and try to play faster. I prefer the current clock wher you can't sit on a 4 point lead like Indiana used to do in the 80's but you can also choose to run an offense. It's to our advantage to bring a fast pace game to teams like the big 10 teams that are't used to it.

A shorter shot clock would also widen the gap between the haves and have nots. In order to win games an overmatched team can slow down, limit possessions, and possibly be close near the end. Force those teams into more possessions per game by both teams and it drastically reduces the chances of a very big underdog to pull the upset.

Take Butler for example... lost in the finals to Duke 61-59 and to UConn 53-41. Ugly basketball to be sure... but the only way they even had a chance to GET to the finals was winning games by scoring 54, 63, 63, 52, etc.

I think a shorter shot clock HELPS us. But I don't necessarily think it would be good for the game. I like parity more than I like seeing Duke score 100 points on some hapless foe.

isucy86

Apr 13, 2006
Dubuque
The College Game is Good

Why change what isn't broke. If the NBA has it right, why do so few people watch it.

A faster shot clock is good for teams that attract elite talent. If the idea is to have no upsets in the NCAA Tourny and to have every team play the same style, then a 30 second shot clock is a great idea. Personally, I like the posibility of upsets and a battle of wills when Wisky plays Indiana.

Rhoadhoused

Apr 27, 2010
Ames, IA
Re: The College Game is Good

Why change what isn't broke. If the NBA has it right, why do so few people watch it.

A faster shot clock is good for teams that attract elite talent. If the idea is to have no upsets in the NCAA Tourny and to have every team play the same style, then a 30 second shot clock is a great idea. Personally, I like the posibility of upsets and a battle of wills when Wisky plays Indiana.

You disagree with Fred Hoiberg.

What is good for ISU is more important than what is good for crappy teams with little talent. I love upsets but I don't think we should stack rules in favor of them, or not improve the game to help them.

Ciclone

May 5, 2008
Clive
As Larry Eaustacy said, "the fans pay to watch the players, not the refs". In other words it is better for the game for the stars to be on the floor. He said that in reference to ticky tacky touch fouls.

I'm a Larry fan, and correct me if I'm wrong, but we're just talking about the hand checks being called this year which the NCAA defined as:

• Keeping hand or forearm on an opponent.
• Putting two hands on an opponent.
• Continually jabbing an opponent by extending an arm or placing a hand or forearm on the opponent.
• Using an arm bar to impede the progress of a dribbler.

Hand checking, to me, is just bad defense. Move your feet! I don't think the other physicality inside or anything else is being called differently. I like the new rule (so far) and don't think moving to 6 fouls is a good idea.

SenorCy

Aug 29, 2010
C.J.
I'm so confused. There are people who don't hit mute when Dickie V starts talking?

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
I'm so confused. There are people who don't hit mute when Dickie V starts talking?
guinness-brilliant.jpeg

erikbj

Aug 31, 2006
hiawatha, ia
Didn't the big east do 6 fouls in the past then we they got to the tourney they had to adjust to the 5 foul limit?

Dingus

May 23, 2013
No on raising fouls to 6 per player. Don't care on shot clock.

Only thing I really want is to start calling intentional fouls when players aren't going after the ball- 2 shots and the ball. Would make the end of games so much more tolerable to watch. Bummer when a great game is ruined at the end due to intentional fouling and lasts 10 minutes.

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
Exactly. While there certainly are teams that bleed the shot clock down, it will also just increase the number of shots chucked up when a good shot can't be found. Decreasing the shot clock gives extra power to defenses since thats that much less time to have to defend.

If a team can't find a good shot in 30 seconds, 5 more isn't going to help them.