Thomas, Mitrou-Long, have big weekends in Summer League

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
I would love to see our guys competing against each other in something other than the Cap City League. Have any of them played in games where they covered each other (even on a switch)? A montage video of those clips would be fantastic.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
I'm not saying Thomas will make an NBA team but I do think a lot of what's good about his game translates to a higher level. I don't think his shot would be as affected from the longer 3pt line as many college players because he has such a consistent and fundamental shooting motion, and he gets it off pretty quick. He rebounds well for his position. He had great size for his position in college and adequate for the pros. Nobody on Earth has ever been able to defend the NBA's best 2s and 3s, but he improved his D a ton the past two years at ISU which has to help a little.

It's all about whether he could get his 3 pointer into truly deadly % the way Hoiberg did as he got older as a pro.

Reactions: Cyclonepride

Pat

Oct 20, 2011
Watched a little bit of Summer League last week. Man, Thomas could not have picked a better landing spot: move without the ball and space the floor for a PG with transcendent floor-vision. Glad he's making the most. Conversely, I feel bad for Burton. MN is running the clogged-toilet offense, and it does him no favors on the rare occasions that he actually gets the ball.

Bryce7

May 4, 2016
So Capital City, TBT, and NBA Summer league about to all wrap up for ISU soon. On to recruiting again.

Bewilderme

Apr 11, 2006
Minneapolis
Watched a little bit of Summer League last week. Man, Thomas could not have picked a better landing spot: move without the ball and space the floor for a PG with transcendent floor-vision. Glad he's making the most. Conversely, I feel bad for Burton. MN is running the clogged-toilet offense, and it does him no favors on the rare occasions that he actually gets the ball.

So, so true. I don't buy the Minnesota hype for this reason, even though they're my team. Hopefully they prove me wrong!

I-stateTheTruth

Nov 13, 2016
Matt just dropped 20 in the semi-final game but 7 TURNOVERS (to 1 assist). Monte he's not.

But I wonder if his shooting so far (6-7 from 3 tonight) could land him with a Euro or G League squad.

(Note: the Lakers shot a smokin' 77% from 3 tonight).

• Creative
Reactions: Clones79

fsanford

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 22, 2007
Los Angeles
Matt Thomas definitely has had the best summer league of all the cyclones. I hope LA gives him a shot.
Watching the games and post game on TV they make it sound like the Lakers will give him a shot. Commentators say Lakers made it a priority to get him on the roster, like his shooting and athletic ability.

Cy$

Sep 1, 2011
Ames
I would love to see our guys competing against each other in something other than the Cap City League. Have any of them played in games where they covered each other (even on a switch)? A montage video of those clips would be fantastic.
I watched the Kings-Lakers game and both didn't play very much. Long played PG and Thomas SG so they didn't match up against each other.

Gossamer

Apr 10, 2014
It was fun sitting around this weekend with the family cheering for Matt...you almost wouldn't know that he was wearing purple the way we all yelled each time he made a 3.

• Agree
Reactions: Cycsk

LLCoolCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 28, 2010
Minneapolis
Hoping Thomas can get a two way deal.

It would be nice, but the Lakers are pretty stacked at youth with guards, plus they already signed one of their two 2 way deals on the balding PG. Getting that second 2 way deal with the Lakers may come down to if they want front line help (plus Thomas Bryant is their second round pick that was likely earmarked for).
For Matt's career getting a 2 way contract with a team in need of a 2-3 3 and D depth (Bucks, Knicks, Wolves, or Grizz) could get him a better chance to play.

fsanford

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 22, 2007
Los Angeles
It would be nice, but the Lakers are pretty stacked at youth with guards, plus they already signed one of their two 2 way deals on the balding PG. Getting that second 2 way deal with the Lakers may come down to if they want front line help (plus Thomas Bryant is their second round pick that was likely earmarked for).
For Matt's career getting a 2 way contract with a team in need of a 2-3 3 and D depth (Bucks, Knicks, Wolves, or Grizz) could get him a better chance to play.

There was also a mention if he has a good preseason with the Lakers he might get a shot with another team if the Lakers cannot find a place for him.

The game is changing though, if you can shoot the 3 ball well in today's NBA, especially that kick out to the corner you have a a pretty good shot at making a team.

Reactions: I-stateTheTruth

cc1091

Oct 10, 2007
Minneapolis

I saw this game on replay. It was entertaining. And Thomas clearly looked comfortable most of the time. Very few times where Thomas made what were clearly mistakes. A very good game for him, but perhaps overshadowed in the LA market because of Lonzo Ball sitting down early to protect a possible calf injury, and the subsequent loss of offense for LA (though Thomas hitting a three in the final minutes to help the score may make his name stick in the minds of LA fans .. so who knows). Very proud to call him a Cyclone.

Help Support Us

Become a patron