this has probably been discussed ad nauseam here ...

Rhoadhoused

Apr 27, 2010
Ames, IA
Point being when you have better players to bring in off the bench when your players get in foul trouble or need a break, you're a better team. I don't think you'll find a coach that disagrees with that.

Well I think the fact that ISU doesn't have a 4th guy averaging 15 points a game is a weakness.

CYKOFAN

Mar 27, 2006
Well I think the fact that ISU doesn't have a 4th guy averaging 15 points a game is a weakness.

You won't find many teams that do. But I think you'll find a lot of teams getting better bench production. That's not a knock on MT, Naz, SDW or Edozie. They're young and between them they came into the year with almost no Big 12 or tournament experience.

SammyWild

Mar 3, 2014
When you play a true round robin schedule in what has proven to be one of, if not the, toughest conferences, it takes a toll on you.

Add that we are undersized, and that makes it even tougher.

The fact that Iowa State has only been "blown out" once on the road, in a fluke shooting game speaks to the toughness and quality of this team.

I don't know what the NCAA tournament has in store for us, but this has been a hell of a fun team to watch this season. Nothing will take that away.

Please continue with the sky is falling conversation, though.

wonkadog

Apr 17, 2006
Ames, IA
I don't really get the "we looked so tired" thing either. I think everyone is basing that solely on Ejim coming up short on those 3's. Just a bad shooting night, hit the front of the rim.

mjhavlo76

Jun 23, 2009
Agree. Well stated!

When you play a true round robin schedule in what has proven to be one of, if not the, toughest conferences, it takes a toll on you.

Add that we are undersized, and that makes it even tougher.

The fact that Iowa State has only been "blown out" once on the road, in a fluke shooting game speaks to the toughness and quality of this team.

I don't know what the NCAA tournament has in store for us, but this has been a hell of a fun team to watch this season. Nothing will take that away.

weR138

Feb 20, 2008

I guess I missed the part where ANYONE in this thread stated that the sky was falling or anything like it?

I don't really get the "we looked so tired" thing either. I think everyone is basing that solely on Ejim coming up short on those 3's. Just a bad shooting night, hit the front of the rim.

Yeah, you're probably right. I guess that was a big factor for me but also I thought Georges and Monte looked a bit sluggish...maybe just because of some sluggish passing. I just don't see that team going deep into the Big XII tournament. Now, the team that beat Baylor in Hilton...that team would go to the championship game.

isutrevman

Jan 30, 2007
Ames, IA
Um, two games in three days each weekend of the NCAA tournament. There's actually going to be MORE fatigue than during the regular season.

In fact, the Baylor game was played on three days' rest and the gang (Ejim especially) looked dead tired.

They traveled home from Manhattan last Saturday night. Had Sunday to "rest". Then traveled to Waco Monday. Not sure where you are getting the 3 days of rest from. Just because they don't have a game doesn't mean they are resting.

The tournament is also during spring break so they wont have as much to worry about with school work.

Cloner97

Apr 11, 2006
Hate to say it, but I have that same eerie feeling from back in 2001 when the team flamed out in Kansas City & Boise. Hope I am wrong

Bigman38

SuperFanatic
Jul 27, 2010
Council Bluffs, IA
True, and you've just made the point that having a good deep bench is better than not having one. Niang (and sometimes Mel) get in foul trouble fairly often. There's no doubt that our short and inconsistent bench has been a team weakness. We've really only got first year guys there (I include Long).

The best teams don't have that many big guys with his passing ability. Much less have some sitting on the bench.

casey1973

Apr 20, 2012
Ames
When you leave quite a few shots short a logical theory is you don't have your legs under you. We tend to use the word tired for lack of any other reason. The big 12 has been brutal due to parity and I just think this team needs to play someone else. Win a game or 2 in the tournament stay healthy and make some noise in the NCAA dance.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
A couple of people have mentioned Baylor's defense. I tend to agree. I give Drew a lot of crap - well deserved in my opinion - but he has hit upon gold with that 1-3-1 zone and the variations from that with the length he is able to put out on the floor. What I really like is the way he puts Heslip in the middle of it rather than out on the top. ISU was troubled by the combination of the length around the diamond of that zone coupled with Heslip's quick defensive hands in the middle both on passes and on attempted moves toward the basket. If he would have really stuck with that from the beginning of the season, they might have had a much different season overall.

Psiclone

Apr 11, 2006
How did he make that point? Nobody in the country is bringing a Niang off the bench.

Of course it would be better to have two all americans off the bench along with Kane/Niang/Ejim, but give me a Big 3 with solid role players over a team who plays 9 guys just for the hell of it and to relieve physical fatigue.

Worked for MJ's Bulls and now for the current Heat team.

CYKOFAN

Mar 27, 2006
The best teams don't have that many big guys with his passing ability. Much less have some sitting on the bench.

Never said we or anybody else has a big man on the bench that can pass like George. Just that the better the guy is you can put in for him, the better off the team is.

ISUChippewa

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2006

I don't think it can be used as an excuse for Niang; he had plenty of rest sitting on the bench in the first half.

aeroclone

Oct 30, 2006
Hate to say it, but I have that same eerie feeling from back in 2001 when the team flamed out in Kansas City & Boise. Hope I am wrong

I was thinking the same thing. Great team, short bench, looking a little tired down the stretch. I don't like to think about how that ended.

Help Support Us

Become a patron