this has probably been discussed ad nauseam here ...

surly

May 16, 2013
reservation lake, mn
but it's pretty obvious to me that isu is just tired. ejim's jumpers last night - whew!

this should all take care of itself once the tournament starts with the grind of league play over and done.

could care less about the big12 tournament, but i look for clones to make a deep run in the dance.

:yes:

CYKOFAN

Mar 27, 2006
but it's pretty obvious to me that isu is just tired. ejim's jumpers last night - whew!

this should all take care of itself once the tournament starts with the grind of league play over and done.

could care less about the big12 tournament, but i look for clones to make a deep run in the dance.

Agree there could be some fatigue as our bench doesn't go very deep, but I think it's more a case of who we're playing and where and when we're playing them. Baylor had to get that game last night with their last game at KSU. Our last 3 conference games all looked like very possible losses going in, though I'm thinking we win Saturday with senior day and since Oky State has already likely punched their NCAA ticket. I'm going to temper my NCAA hopes though as I think a first round win would make this a very successful season considering all the new guys and our lack of consistent 3 point shooting. Free throw shooting could be a problem too. Anything beyond the first round would be icing on the cake imo.

klamath632

Nov 19, 2011

Um, two games in three days each weekend of the NCAA tournament. There's actually going to be MORE fatigue than during the regular season.

In fact, the Baylor game was played on three days' rest and the gang (Ejim especially) looked dead tired.

NATEizKING

Feb 18, 2011
Hilton
Um, two games in three days each weekend of the NCAA tournament. There's actually going to be MORE fatigue than during the regular season.

In fact, the Baylor game was played on three days' rest and the gang (Ejim especially) looked dead tired.

Long break before the tourney, long break between first and second weekend.

weR138

Feb 20, 2008

I agree with Surly. I'm no expert but what I saw was a fatigued team...and that includes mental fatigue. I think we get up for Senior Day and beat oSu but I can also see this team having a brief Big XII tournament which is too bad because this team's proved they can get to a championship game vs. KU.

I think the notion of poor road play is over-blown. I feel good about this team in the NCAA on neutral floors. Will they get some rest? I think they'll be mentally ready.

Nuts4Cy

Mar 21, 2006
But But But But that encyclopedia guy said depth is over rated and teams don't wear down over the course of the year due to a lack of depth.

weR138

Feb 20, 2008
But But But But that encyclopedia guy said depth is over rated and teams don't wear down over the course of the year due to a lack of depth.

Maybe they don't...I don't know but the Cyclones looked tired last night.

Knownothing

Nov 22, 2006
Ejim had 1 bad game. The game before he had 30. The tired excuse is invalid. They just played like crap. Maybe he was tired from the flight or some crap but not from playing to much.

Jsievers24

Jan 8, 2014
Johnston, IA
I think our guys are getting sick of playing regular season games - since KU locked down 1st and we are a lock for NCAA the only thing to play for is seeding. They will be up for OSU, and our crowd will be fantastic that day so we win that.

But I still think we can make a run in the Big12 tourney and NCAA. I think the Big12 tourney will show a lot about us.

kingcy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 16, 2006
Menlo, Iowa

It is over rated. Even on off nights having Ejim in games is better than having any bench player in the team. These guys will bounce back.

Practice is harder on these guys than playing games are.

Rhoadhoused

Apr 27, 2010
Ames, IA
I don't think they looked tired at all. Long, Kane, and Thomas seemed to have their legs under them....

It was simply a frustrating defense applied by a desperate team. Niang couldn't post up and Ejim couldn't get close to the hoop and when he did they couldn't get the ball in. Bayor is super long and athletic. Not many teams we will face can do what they did.

Bigman38

SuperFanatic
Jul 27, 2010
Council Bluffs, IA
I don't think they looked tired at all. Long, Kane, and Thomas seemed to have their legs under them....

It was simply a frustrating defense applied by a desperate team. Niang couldn't post up and Ejim couldn't get close to the hoop and when he did they couldn't get the ball in. Bayor is super long and athletic. Not many teams we will face can do what they did.

This.

IMO the team looks a lot different if Niang is playing. He's always important but he's absolutely crucial when they are trying to attack a zone defense like last night. His interior passing ability is tough to replace.

Doc

This is it Morty
Aug 6, 2006
Denver
The tourney's just an entire different animal than the conference season. People thought Duke couldn't beat good teams on the road in 2010, but they won it all on the neutral courts. UCONN limped to a 9-9 finish (finished regular season losing 4 of 5) in a brutal Big East in 2011, and then got hot and won 11 in a row to win it all.

CYKOFAN

Mar 27, 2006
This.

IMO the team looks a lot different if Niang is playing. He's always important but he's absolutely crucial when they are trying to attack a zone defense like last night. His interior passing ability is tough to replace.

True, and you've just made the point that having a good deep bench is better than not having one. Niang (and sometimes Mel) get in foul trouble fairly often. There's no doubt that our short and inconsistent bench has been a team weakness. We've really only got first year guys there (I include Long).

Rhoadhoused

Apr 27, 2010
Ames, IA
True, and you've just made the point that having a good deep bench is better than not having one. Niang (and sometimes Mel) get in foul trouble fairly often. There's no doubt that our short and inconsistent bench has been a team weakness. We've really only got first year guys there (I include Long).

How did he make that point? Nobody in the country is bringing a Niang off the bench.

Of course it would be better to have two all americans off the bench along with Kane/Niang/Ejim, but give me a Big 3 with solid role players over a team who plays 9 guys just for the hell of it and to relieve physical fatigue.

CyTwins

Jan 20, 2010
Ankeny
Mel was off offensively but forget he still pulled down 9 boards, I don't think it was fatigue

CyclOwnd

Dec 11, 2013
Long break before the tourney, long break between first and second weekend.

this. Internal reset for the players with the prep time for tourney compared to the past weeks of consistent big12 conference grind (which will play out to be a great prep for all big12 tourney teams).

CYKOFAN

Mar 27, 2006
How did he make that point? Nobody in the country is bringing a Niang off the bench.

Of course it would be better to have two all americans off the bench along with Kane/Niang/Ejim, but give me a Big 3 with solid role players over a team who plays 9 guys just for the hell of it and to relieve physical fatigue.

Point being when you have better players to bring in off the bench when your players get in foul trouble or need a break, you're a better team. I don't think you'll find a coach that disagrees with that.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron