Third tier media rights.

MissouriFan

Jun 2, 2009
St. Louis
I thought some of you might be interested in this article. It's about how Missouri is planning to use their third tier media rights. I wouldn't be surprised if Iowa State and other Big 12 schools are doing something similar. Personally I had hoped for that Fox TV channel with the eight non OU/UT schools but maybe that's not going to happen.

Have you all heard anything from ISU on what they are planning?

Missouri among schools seeking to improve presence in new technology | The Columbia Daily Tribune - Columbia, Missouri

Reactions: Haverhill

3GenClone

Jun 28, 2009
Des Moines
“This is all about Texas,” MU softball Coach Ehren Earleywine said. “Who cares if you get another game or two on TV? If kids are tuning into the Longhorn Network, they’re Longhorn fans. And if they’re Longhorn fans, I don’t want much to do with them.
:biglaugh:

Not really many details, but it's interesting to see how a "have-not" Big 12 school is attempting to compete with the "haves" (Texas, OU). I think the idea for free broadcasts of non-revenue sports is genius: I'm not sure how the 1st/2nd tier TV contract restructuring affected MU's athletic budget, but it may be worth using that money and funding the network 100% by the athletic department. The network would probably lose money for a few years, but if viewership increases at all then advertising could support a good portion of the network and that initial investment would return back to the athletic budget.

“Do we hope that it will make money eventually? Absolutely,” Babcock said. “But initially, we’re more interested in how we brand the university. We feel like we have a lot of cool stuff to push out there.”

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
I thought some of you might be interested in this article. It's about how Missouri is planning to use their third tier media rights. I wouldn't be surprised if Iowa State and other Big 12 schools are doing something similar. Personally I had hoped for that Fox TV channel with the eight non OU/UT schools but maybe that's not going to happen.

Have you all heard anything from ISU on what they are planning?

Missouri among schools seeking to improve presence in new technology | The Columbia Daily Tribune - Columbia, Missouri

I assumed ISU would be talking with everyone else trying to put a network together. We can do it, so why wouldn't we at least try?

cykadelic2

Jun 10, 2006
I assumed ISU would be talking with everyone else trying to put a network together. We can do it, so why wouldn't we at least try?

The conference network concept faces too many challenges with distribution over cable and satellite providers for vast amounts of non-premium content. It is probably more feasible to cut out the cable/satellite middleman and distribute all that non-premium content via the Internet.

I highly question the new P12 Network getting sufficient cable and satellite distribution across their footprint even with the FB games they are withholding from their 1st and 2nd tier providers.

The BTN was very lucky to enter into their agreements before the 2009 economic crash. As cable/satellite pricing migrates to ala carte in response to Internet competition, the BTN's long-term future on cable and satellite platforms is shaky IMO.

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
The conference network concept faces too many challenges with distribution over cable and satellite providers for vast amounts of non-premium content. It is probably more feasible to cut out the cable/satellite middleman and distribute all that non-premium content via the Internet.

I highly question the new P12 Network getting sufficient cable and satellite distribution across their footprint even with the FB games they are withholding from their 1st and 2nd tier providers.

The BTN was very lucky to enter into their agreements before the 2009 economic crash. As cable/satellite pricing migrates to ala carte in response to Internet competition, the BTN's long-term future on cable and satellite platforms is shaky IMO.

IMO, this is why they grabbed Nebraska. While the State of Nebraska offers only a couple million TV sets, with the move towards ala carte programming, having state-based footprints becomes less important and you want a national brand, which Nebraska is.

Yeah, the Rutgers (for example) footprint is much larger, but there are far more people interested in watching Nebraska football and thus willing to pay for B10 Network to get it.

Sammy11

Jun 11, 2010
DFW
1- It said it was just a proposal so we'll see what happens.

2- Mizzou won't be able to profit significantly from online distribution unless they know something that google, hulu, and others don't.

3- This really weakens the Big 12 "best of the rest network" by offering some of the content for free.

4- The remaining non UT & OU schools would be best served uniting in a network effort. It may only distribute 2-4 million each but it would stand a decent chance of basic cable status if we required less of a carry fee from providers.

Frak

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 27, 2009
1- It said it was just a proposal so we'll see what happens.

2- Mizzou won't be able to profit significantly from online distribution unless they know something that google, hulu, and others don't.

3- This really weakens the Big 12 "best of the rest network" by offering some of the content for free.

4- The remaining non UT & OU schools would be best served uniting in a network effort. It may only distribute 2-4 million each but it would stand a decent chance of basic cable status if we required less of a carry fee from providers.

Agree 100%. Mizzou is once again out for itself and has no problem screwing over people. If they stuck with the other 7 schools, basic cable in KC is a given. You'd probably have basic in DM, Dallas, Houston, OKC too if they didn't go overboard on the pricing. But Mizzou sends it out there for free? Why don't they just beef up their online content and offer all those classic videos and Olympic sports games through their site, but also provide content to a cable network?

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
Agree 100%. Mizzou is once again out for itself and has no problem screwing over people. If they stuck with the other 7 schools, basic cable in KC is a given. You'd probably have basic in DM, Dallas, Houston, OKC too if they didn't go overboard on the pricing. But Mizzou sends it out there for free? Why don't they just beef up their online content and offer all those classic videos and Olympic sports games through their site, but also provide content to a cable network?

I'd laugh if Missouri tried to be dicks about this and ended up getting kicked out.

MissouriFan

Jun 2, 2009
St. Louis

When the Big 12's Fox contract was announced they said that BU, ISU, KU, KSU, MU, OSU, TAMU, and TTU were working with Fox to possibly create a Big 12 channel. I am guessing that this would either be along with that or that the Fox channel isn't going to happen and MU is doing this instead. I really hope the Fox channel happens and we get this online coverage as well.

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
When the Big 12's Fox contract was announced they said that BU, ISU, KU, KSU, MU, OSU, TAMU, and TTU were working with Fox to possibly create a Big 12 channel. I am guessing that this would either be along with that or that the Fox channel isn't going to happen and MU is doing this instead. I really hope the Fox channel happens and we get this online coverage as well.

Yeah, as long as this ins't Mizzou giving the middle finger to the rest of us and intentionally creating issues in the conference, then I'm fine with it.

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
I really dont see ala carte programming ever actually happening. There is a reason that all of a sudden youre starting to see usage caps drop into place on many cable internet providers (its not like usage wasnt exploding year over year before, but now that its cutting into their tv business, all of a sudden they cant meet the growth).

Plus, if it happens, people have to realize that the prices for it will have to rise (the material costs the same, so if 5mil were paying $1 for a channel before, now 1mil will have to pay $5), so unless you only watch a couple channels you'll pay nearly as much f not more with separate channels and fewer options than you will with big packages that give you more options.