The Onside Kick - In photos

cyclonestate

May 4, 2009
Even before this play happened there was just a brutal offside on Baylor on a kickoff that wasn't called. Easily 2 yards offside and then this happens. smh

I saw the exact same thing! The Baylor player was way offside on their kickoff but nothing was called. And then they call us for offsides? Absolutely amazing. All I could think of was the infamous dead ball 3-pointer at Phog Allen Fieldhouse.

Do you really think the replay of Woody's touchdown showed indisputably that the ball did NOT break the plane of the goal line before his rear hit the ground? The answer is no, but the official upstairs still took the touchdown away from us. Yeah, I know we ended up scoring anyway, but it still doesn't change the fact that they blew the call.

Do you really think the replay showed indisputably that RG3 was was attempting to throw the ball (and not pulling it back) when his fumble was recovered by ISU? The answer is no, but the official upstairs still overturned the call on the field.

Could we have won the game if the correct calls would have been made? Many folks would say no, but we'll never get to find out.

driegner

Jun 9, 2010
Columbus, OH
I saw the exact same thing! The Baylor player was way offside on their kickoff but nothing was called. And then they call us for offsides? Absolutely amazing. All I could think of was the infamous dead ball 3-pointer at Phog Allen Fieldhouse.

Do you really think the replay of Woody's touchdown showed indisputably that the ball did NOT break the plane of the goal line before his rear hit the ground? The answer is no, but the official upstairs still took the touchdown away from us. Yeah, I know we ended up scoring anyway, but it still doesn't change the fact that they blew the call.

Do you really think the replay showed indisputably that RG3 was was attempting to throw the ball (and not pulling it back) when his fumble was recovered by ISU? The answer is no, but the official upstairs still overturned the call on the field.

Could we have won the game if the correct calls would have been made? Many folks would say no, but we'll never get to find out.

That's what makes me so mad.

Rods79

Nov 27, 2006
Des Moines
So does anyone know...what actually happens when we send a gametape to the "office"? They look at it and say "oops, tough luck bro"?

This whole ref situation is becoming so shady...need to shine the light on these a-holes.

MIClone

Aug 31, 2011
Central Michigan
This is what I was thinking as well.

Seriously though, this season, so far, has seen more questionable calls go against us than any other season I can think of in recent memory. And not just ticky tack hold and PI calls, I'm talking about big time, game changing calls......replay review calls. I think we have now had at least 4 replay reviews reverse calls on the field that were made originally in our favor, but in no way, shape or form met the "indisputable video evidence" threshold. It has been beyond pathetic. Did we **** someone off in the Big 12 offices?

THIS is what is so amazing to me. The replay officials reversing calls where there is absolutely NOTHING to support reversing it, much less anything indisputable. It's one thing to get a call wrong during live action, it's another entirely to get it wrong on the replay. And with this happening repeatedly to ISU, it sure seems fishy!

cyclone87

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 6, 2011
Ames, IA
Totally baffled by the flag on this kick, unacceptable and embarrassing for those referees :mad:

cyclonefreak5

Sep 25, 2010
Ames
Yeah it's incredible that we somehow got the onside kick recovered when our team was all 3-4 yards onside when it was kicked.

If they had all been right on the line or offsides in actuality they'd have probably caught or picked up the ball and advanced well into Baylor territory.

technically you can't do that. if the kicking team recovers the ball, then they can't advance it. the offense gets it at the spot of the recovery

Farnsworth

Apr 11, 2006
Des Moines, IA

That's what makes me so mad.

Just like the Texas game, not saying we lost it because of the calls, but it had a HEAVY SWING in momentum of the game.

Storkenheimer

Oct 2, 2011
So does anyone know...what actually happens when we send a gametape to the "office"? They look at it and say "oops, tough luck bro"?

This whole ref situation is becoming so shady...need to shine the light on these a-holes.

Seriously, is there any way to find out who these jackasses are?

agcy68

Feb 9, 2007
Iowa
Here is my question: When did the official throw the flag and which official made the call? I just re-watched in frame-by-frame slow motion on my DVR and made the following observations:

- You can see both officials on the screen until the ISU players are about 7 yards downfield.

- At that point in time, there is no flag visible: ie no flag was thrown into the air to signal a penalty

- At that point in time, the official at the bottom of the screen is running toward the kick to see what happens and making no motion to grab his flag.

Therefore, either:
1. The official dropped the flag from his belt directly on the ground with no visibility to the viewers
2. The official dropped the flag after it was clear that ISU was going to have possesion.

If the officials are going to make a call, they need to make it clear. Quietly dropping a flag on the ground is not fair to the fans or teams. Think about defensive offsides; the official always throws the flag into the air so team can play accordingly. What if the recieving team had some fancy trick runback that they use if/when the kicking team is called offsides. They need to see the flag to know the consequences of their play.

I suspect that once the official noted that the ISU was in good position to receive the kick, they quitly dropped a flag to call it back. Either option is just bad officiating.

Last edited:

agcy68

Feb 9, 2007
Iowa
OK. I found it. IN continuation of the previous post...

- There are officials on each sideline at the 30, 35, and 40 yardline (I didn't realize this was standard operating positions)
- As the camera pans through the play, it appears that nether official on the 30 (who I assume have the "right" to make this call) make any motion to throw their flag.
- As Reeves (?) crosses the 40 and gets ready to catch the ball, a flag appears in the bottom left hand corner of the screen
- It is hard to tell if is from the official at the 30 or the 35, however, the official at the 30 was already moving towards the play and it doesn't appear to come from him, but the wind was blowing and could have blow from his position.
- When the flag appears, it is about two seconds after the call should have been made and:
- It is now known that it is on onsides kick
- It is clear that Baylor is not in position to get the ball
- It appears that ISU is in position to recover

My opinion - the official realized it was an onsides kick and wanted to negate ISU's potential opportunity.

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
The officiating the last three games has been baffling. As Walters said, "it's not easy when your playing the zebras too."

agcy68

Feb 9, 2007
Iowa
But, that begs another question: Why were there 6 officials on that part of the field? I watched other kickoffs in the game and you typically see 2 at the 30, 2 at the 40 and 2 at the far goaline. Why were all six in that area of the field for that kickoff?

Did CPR tell them to watch for the onsides kick to ensure they were ready? If so, did the officials get into position and, therefore, tell Baylor (by their unique positions on the field) that ISU was going to onsides kick it? Did the officials take matters into their own hand when Baylor failed to recognize their message and didn't react appropriately to their positions on the field?

andybernard

Oct 22, 2009

I work at a sports bar so I wasn't able to keep a great eye on the game, but I came home last night and my roommates (both hok fans) immediately asked how I felt about the officiating. I've been to all the home games so far so I've just come to expect terrible calls against us, but they singled out Woody's TD and couldn't believe it was overturned. Clearly they don't know what it's like to be Cyclone fans, but honestly I don't even find it worth getting upset about anymore. This week I watched the replay of the Texas game and just sat laughing through the calls and spots. I'm sure I'll do the same when I watch this game. We just have to live with it. Sad, but true.

ManBearClone

Apr 29, 2010
I saw the exact same thing! The Baylor player was way offside on their kickoff but nothing was called. And then they call us for offsides?

To be fair it was called and the five yards were added to the return or declined, not sure which is done in college. It just so happened that Fox was doing a sideline interview at the time and it kind of got glossed over. I was initially po'd also.

Rural

Feb 3, 2010
On a brighter note, I don't remember the OLine being called for holding or many/any false starts.
That will probably return to the menu next week.

Help Support Us

Become a patron