The infamous Liberty Bowl fumble

IAStubborn

Aug 16, 2012
We got screwed on that play. It sucks that the record got robbed from a deserving bunch on the last offensive play of the season. That said when it happened I turned to my sons and said "they got robbed sure but it is just adversity, adversity happens to everyone whether they win or lose will be determined by how they respond to it". They nodded having heard my adversity speal a hundred times. I was thrilled that our D did not let that adversity define the outcome and this will become a culture building, program changing teaching moment for years to come. So I guess what I am saying is I agree with Campbell. I am glad they screwed it up so the story of the game was not the fumble or the TD but rather the grit of a team that wouldn't let adversity determine the outcome of the game.

This is why winners win. They get how important it is to not let yourself be a victim. I am just thrilled we finally have a winner.

Last edited:

IAStubborn

Aug 16, 2012
Bad snap, bad hand-off, good recovery, and a great effort for the TD. I would hope that CMC would acknowledge to David that he made a winning play in the face of---the most overused word in college football----adversity.
Heavily used yes, but overused? Not even close. I played college ball and our team didn't hear it enough. I won a state championship with a Hall of Fame HS coach and it was something I heard every day over and over and I still apply that to my life every day as a result. It is a choice to let adversity define you or to overcome it. That is what winning culture looks like vs. the "victim" culture we are used to at ISU. I am not disputing we got hosed vs. KSU or on that play. We did. But **** happens, this time they didnt let it define them.

Last edited:

usedcarguy

Apr 12, 2008
Ames
I was at the game. My feeling was that had they called it a touchdown, it would not have been overturn. I don't begrudge the officials on the field for the call they made, it was close. But NO excuse for the replay booth. They royally screwed up...which is saying something since they operate with the gift of both slow motion and hindsight.

The crew screwed up that pick in our endzone as well....it was unfathomable to me how they didn't see anything that happened after the Memphis player hit the ground and couldn't hang on. At least the replay booth got that one right. No crew calls a perfect game. There's just too much stuff going on. But there are zero excuses for that happening in the replay booth.

As for the phantom PI call, the official was in a perfect spot to for the acting job to work with our defender blocking his view. Just didn't seem to be much conferring between crew members on controversial calls. Whether no one else saw it or wanted to overturn IDK. Lots of calls and no calls like that happen during a game. But after the screwjob in the endzone it felt very Purple Kansasish.

As for the roughing call against them, I would have sworn the ref said it was a defensive holding penalty which we declined...and that he didn't said anything like "before the interception." If it was a block in the back after the pick, the ref should have rephrased what he said. I assumed we took the personal foul because it was going to get us more yards. I'm going to have to watch a replay to figure out that one.

• Winner
Reactions: Cyclone27inQC

Go2Guy

Mar 18, 2006
Houston, TX
Gift? The linemen was 6-7 yards downfield. He was deeper than our linebackers. Easiest call all game.

My memory must be off, I do remember the obvious lineman downfield; I think I confused it with the 'roughing passer' call, which the poster was reffering.

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
I was at the game. My feeling was that had they called it a touchdown, it would not have been overturn. I don't begrudge the officials on the field for the call they made, it was close. But NO excuse for the replay booth. They royally screwed up...which is saying something since they operate with the gift of both slow motion and hindsight.

The crew screwed up that pick in our endzone as well....it was unfathomable to me how they didn't see anything that happened after the Memphis player hit the ground and couldn't hang on. At least the replay booth got that one right. No crew calls a perfect game. There's just too much stuff going on. But there are zero excuses for that happening in the replay booth.

As for the phantom PI call, the official was in a perfect spot to for the acting job to work with our defender blocking his view. Just didn't seem to be much conferring between crew members on controversial calls. Whether no one else saw it or wanted to overturn IDK. Lots of calls and no calls like that happen during a game. But after the screwjob in the endzone it felt very Purple Kansasish.

As for the roughing call against them, I would have sworn the ref said it was a defensive holding penalty which we declined...and that he didn't said anything like "before the interception." If it was a block in the back after the pick, the ref should have rephrased what he said. I assumed we took the personal foul because it was going to get us more yards. I'm going to have to watch a replay to figure out that one.

The PI call angers me greatly because just one game ago, we witnessed refs picking up flags when apparently they felt there was no foul and then on Saturday they didn't pick up the ******* flag?

stateofmind

Jul 16, 2007
Ankeny
Not sure why there is so much confusion. It was very clear on TV as well. Signal was given for block in the back and the verbal announcement was also very clear.
I was terribly confused as I couldn't hear any audio from the official all day in the stadium. But thought it was defensive holding since the official signaled that it was declined. Then the roughing the passer call was accepted. When I found out it was on them, on the return, I breathed a large sigh of relief.

wcamnclone

Oct 24, 2008
Fargo, ND
How long before we have a chip put in the football which then communicates to a laser from the endzone pylons that communicate with each other to tell us exactly when the ball breaks the plane of the endzone? At that point would just have to determine if ball is still in his hands or when knee, etc. is down.

I think when you put the side-by-side videos up in slow motion, it is pretty obvious the nose of the ball is still in DM's possession when it crosses the front of the white line of the endzone.

• Useful
Reactions: Cycsk

IASTATE07

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 30, 2016
I was terribly confused as I couldn't hear any audio from the official all day in the stadium. But thought it was defensive holding since the official signaled that it was declined. Then the roughing the passer call was accepted. When I found out it was on them, on the return, I breathed a large sigh of relief.

I only heard the roughing the passer call in the stadium, but saw the block in the back on the interception.

burn587

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 14, 2006
Denver, CO
I only heard the roughing the passer call in the stadium, but saw the block in the back on the interception.
It was pretty confusing the way the ref explained the penalties. IIRC he said "there were two fouls on the return, illegal block in the back which is declined and roughing the passer."

Since he said it was on the return I figured it was a case of a defender seeking out the quarterback on an interception and lighting him up just because he could. I was pretty shocked to see we still had the ball until I saw that the flag was thrown immediately after Kempt released the ball.

Tailg8er

Feb 25, 2011
Johnston
Does anybody have a gif of the phantom PI? I was watching from the stands and saw one replay. I was enraged at the time, but now I would like to see it so I can laugh at it cause it seems like it was one of the better flops I have seen in a long time. The defender didn't touch him and he acted like he was having a heart attack. I'm surprised it didn't go viral.

I would love to see a gif of this. At first watching from the stands we just figured it was a run of the mill borderline PI call, but after the replay it may have been the worst call I've seen. Even a couple Memphis fans in front of us turned around & said we got screwed on that one.

• Agree

CyInDFW

Aug 14, 2015
Lewisville, TX
As long as we are talking about plays that were called incorrectly or not called at all, how bout a missed targeting call?

I hate most targeting calls. Your WR bent down after not catching the ball while Peavy was already in position to make the tackle at the midsection. If your player doesn't duck down like that, the helmet to helmet never happens.

How about the Memphis defensive player lined up offsides on the first series?

We can go back and forth all day long on calls that someone believes were missed.

c.y.c.l.o.n.e.s

Feb 21, 2007
Does anybody have a gif of the phantom PI? I was watching from the stands and saw one replay. I was enraged at the time, but now I would like to see it so I can laugh at it cause it seems like it was one of the better flops I have seen in a long time. The defender didn't touch him and he acted like he was having a heart attack. I'm surprised it didn't go viral.

They were both using their hands a lot as the ball was approaching and our DB grabbed Miller's arm and it looked like he tugged on it a little. This is the same shoulder that Peavy laid into in the video above. I think his shoulder was truly hurting him and he fell to the ground in pain. It helped to sell the call but I don't think he flopped.

• Funny
  • Disagree
Reactions: flycy and Tailg8er

mj4cy

Asst. Regional Manager
Staff member
Mar 28, 2006
Iowa
I just loved that we let our players win this game and not let the refs affect the outcome (yes it clearly was a TD).

• Winner

3TrueFans

Just a Happily Married Man
Sep 10, 2009
Ames
It was pretty confusing the way the ref explained the penalties. IIRC he said "there were two fouls on the return, illegal block in the back which is declined and roughing the passer."

Since he said it was on the return I figured it was a case of a defender seeking out the quarterback on an interception and lighting him up just because he could. I was pretty shocked to see we still had the ball until I saw that the flag was thrown immediately after Kempt released the ball.
I thought the exact same thing when the ref phrased it that way, I figured someone laid out Kempt on the return and we were still going to lose the ball.

JusHappy2BeHere

Jan 22, 2013
Houston, TX
For a guy that has such amazing ball security to puke it on the goal line was just shocking....

that said, there is no way that the replay official is not the domestic partner of the guy that called that a fumble....

Horrible, horrible, horrible use of replay.... at least the Holiday replay guy where the UCLA kid fell on the 1 on the last play of a 30 point loss, had left the booth to beat the traffic and gave them no opinion of the play.... this was a close game.... this actually mattered and they absolutely screwed the proverbial pooch.

chapter 6993 of why a 30+ year football coach HATES all refs.... even those who are close friends

• Winner

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
To think what the already workaholic Montgomery will be doing during the off-season to make up for how he likely perceives he let the team down on that play is making me feel all warm and fuzzy. If anything can make that kid work harder, this is it. He will be a monster next year with a true speedster (KN) backing him up.

cyhiphopp

Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
Ankeny
For a guy that has such amazing ball security to puke it on the goal line was just shocking....

that said, there is no way that the replay official is not the domestic partner of the guy that called that a fumble....

Horrible, horrible, horrible use of replay.... at least the Holiday replay guy where the UCLA kid fell on the 1 on the last play of a 30 point loss, had left the booth to beat the traffic and gave them no opinion of the play.... this was a close game.... this actually mattered and they absolutely screwed the proverbial pooch.

chapter 6993 of why a 30+ year football coach HATES all refs.... even those who are close friends

Puke it on the goal line? The snap was ridiculously high and Kempt put the handoff into his shoulder pad. Montgomery did everything he could to hold onto the ball as long as he did.

He was still over the line before he lost it though.

• Agree
Reactions: r06b and Cyvilian

Help Support Us

Become a patron