The District at Prairie Trail Ankeny

jpete24

Wearing nut cup since 2002
SuperFanatic
Mar 25, 2006
Minneapolis, MN
That's OK, I was jsut curious, you don't have to go digging up plans. The part by the spillway seems like maybe 7 or 8 feet. The big tunnel on the other side it looks like you could walk across it on that end.

It's a gross design. Glad to hear there is fish there though.

jpete24

Wearing nut cup since 2002
SuperFanatic
Mar 25, 2006
Minneapolis, MN
Lol, why? I will say when there is water flowing over it and there is current it makes for good fishing.

Just super expensive for what it was trying to accomplish, and also kind of dangerous if you don't design them correctly. I'm not a big fan of these structures being a focal point though, let the natural landscape stand for itself, you don't need some massive concrete structure there that you could the same with 1/3 the cost.

NoCreativity

Nov 12, 2015
Des Moines
Just super expensive for what it was trying to accomplish, and also kind of dangerous if you don't design them correctly. I'm not a big fan of these structures being a focal point though, let the natural landscape stand for itself, you don't need some massive concrete structure there that you could the same with 1/3 the cost.
Yeah, it does seem a little excessive now that you mention it. Probably much cheaper ways to let water out of a pond.

NickTheGreat

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 17, 2012
Central Iowa
Well that is interesting. I hadn't heard that.

At one time, it was owned by former Cyclone Dennis Gibson. He had Encore Pizza in Johnston for many many years, closed it and went to Ankeny.

I might be mixing up my places. I have been wrong once before. o_O

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
At one time, it was owned by former Cyclone Dennis Gibson. He had Encore Pizza in Johnston for many many years, closed it and went to Ankeny.

I might be mixing up my places. I have been wrong once before. o_O
What @alarson said. Dennis still looks great.

Reactions: Cycsk

AgronAlum

Jul 12, 2014
The highlight of Prairie Trail is the Mexican place that each individual meal could feed 10 people.

The neighbor dropped off some leftover Hidalgo Saturday because they ordered way too much. The stuff he dropped off was awesome. Need to try the Fiesta Jalapeño too.

motorcy90

Aug 12, 2018
Iowa
My biggest complaint, and what I see as a missed opportunity, in prairie trail, is that these buildings in the district should have been a bit more mixed-use. Having a couple floors of condos\apartments on top would add some life to the area. With how fast apartments have gone up in ankeny, have to think they would have rented well too
Not to mention parking sucks in the area and how narrow the roads are. The West side of State with housing is fine, but "the district" is horrible unless you only have a mid size car/ very maneuverable SUV.

• Winner
Reactions: Turn2

motorcy90

Aug 12, 2018
Iowa
Flavory Bistro is really good. Whiskey River is a fun place to hang out and catch a clone game. Wasabi is decent for sushi.
Wasabi was good when we had it, but we no longer go to whiskey river as the owners are complete ass holes and screw staff over on the regular, have had a few friends work there that have all left for that reason.

nfrine

Mar 31, 2006
Nearby
Isn't the big mound north and just a bit west of the HyVee part of the old ammunition dump site. Always thought it was an interesting idea to build a community around that...

motorcy90

Aug 12, 2018
Iowa
There’s a big parking lot on the backside of those businesses you know, you don’t have to park on the street.
Now try it on a busy night during the winter., granted it has improved over the last times we really frequented the area.