The District at Prairie Trail Ankeny

jpete24

Wearing nut cup since 2002
SuperFanatic
Mar 25, 2006
Minneapolis, MN
I worked on the design for this development 12+ years ago. Don't blame me for anything that sucks on the design or the roads, the city worked in collaboration with Albaugh for Prairie Trail design standards. Cool to see it complete now.

Reactions: bozclone

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
I worked on the design for this development 12+ years ago. Don't blame me for anything that sucks on the design or the roads, the city worked in collaboration with Albaugh for Prairie Trail design standards. Cool to see it complete now.

My biggest complaint, and what I see as a missed opportunity, in prairie trail, is that these buildings in the district should have been a bit more mixed-use. Having a couple floors of condos\apartments on top would add some life to the area. With how fast apartments have gone up in ankeny, have to think they would have rented well too

jpete24

SuperFanatic
Mar 25, 2006
Minneapolis, MN
My biggest complaint, and what I see as a missed opportunity, in prairie trail, is that these buildings in the district should have been a bit more mixed-use. Having a couple of floors of condos\apartments on top would add some life to the area. With how fast apartments have gone up in Ankeny, have to think they would have rented well too

Don't know what to tell you. I think their goal was a commercial space to serve those residents of Prairie Trail. I'm not sure they wanted to have a bunch of mixed-use property involved with the commercial spaces, but as I said, I worked on this over a decade ago and didn't participate in any of the planning aspects. Development civil design mainly.

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
Not your end but I think it was dumb to put more parking around the pond than actual restaurants.

• Agree
Reactions: alarson

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
Don't know what to tell you. I think their goal was a commercial space to serve those residents of Prairie Trail. I'm not sure they wanted to have a bunch of mixed-use property involved with the commercial spaces, but as I said, I worked on this over a decade ago and didn't participate in any of the planning aspects. Development civil design mainly.

Yeah, i get it. A lot of moving parts and Ankeny itself was a different city when they were drawing all this up. Its a shame some of the newer buildings aren't adapting though. Its an area that is like a faux-downtown, without any of the life of an actual downtown area.

NoCreativity

Nov 12, 2015
Des Moines
Fongs is cool, the rest of the area doesn't excite me very much. I'd rather go fishing for crappies in that pond down below than hang out at any of those bars or eat at Jerhros.

EnhancedFujita

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 28, 2013
Johnston
The problem with Prairie Trail is the the commercial area is so far removed from the residential and separated by State Street which is a wide, high speed road.

• Agree
Reactions: motorcy90

cyclonespiker33

SuperFanatic
Jan 19, 2011
As a Beaverdale resident, I like the District at Prairie Trail. There are several events there in warmer weather months, a lot of which are free, including free concerts with pretty decent talent.

Reactions: cyclone618

LincolnSwinger

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 10, 2008
Holy He!!! This thread was a single original post for 10 years, and today it gets 30 replies! That has to be some kind of record.

FWIW, I'm out of state but "discovered" this area during the Texas weekend. I thought it was great.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: motorcy90

isucy86

Apr 13, 2006
Dubuque
Yeah, i get it. A lot of moving parts and Ankeny itself was a different city when they were drawing all this up. Its a shame some of the newer buildings aren't adapting though. Its an area that is like a faux-downtown, without any of the life of an actual downtown area.

IMO this is a common issue with areas like Prairie Trail or places that try to gentrify a downtown area (e.g warehouse districts). Commercial & retail space is great, but they only seem to create limited foot traffic. But include condos and/or apartments it creates a more vibrate area since people actually live 24/7 around those retail/commercial business.

NorthCyd

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 22, 2011
Fongs is cool, the rest of the area doesn't excite me very much. I'd rather go fishing for crappies in that pond down below than hang out at any of those bars or eat at Jerhros.
Flavory Bistro is really good. Whiskey River is a fun place to hang out and catch a clone game. Wasabi is decent for sushi.

jpete24

SuperFanatic
Mar 25, 2006
Minneapolis, MN
Not your end but I think it was dumb to put more parking around the pond than actual restaurants.

Actually agree with this a lot. Original designs showed restaurants on the pond and parking near the street. Usually, the restaurant developer has total control of this though. I actually got to design this pond and the outlet control structure (I'm ambivalent about this structure now knowing a lot more than I did 10+ years ago), but I always thought eating on a patio around the pond would have been a neat setup.

• Agree
Reactions: NWICY and motorcy90

NoCreativity

Nov 12, 2015
Des Moines
Actually agree with this a lot. Original designs showed restaurants on the pond and parking near the street. Usually, the restaurant developer has total control of this though. I actually got to design this pond and the outlet control structure (I'm ambivalent about this structure now knowing a lot more than I did 10+ years ago), but I always thought eating on a patio around the pond would have been a neat setup.
How deep is that pond? It seems like it's silted in the last few years I've fished there.

jpete24

SuperFanatic
Mar 25, 2006
Minneapolis, MN
How deep is that pond? It seems like it's silted in the last few years I've fished there.

Oh jeez, I'd have to look and see if I have the original design plans for it somewhere in my files. It wasn't super deep, to begin with, but I could easily see it silting in over time, especially if the city hasn't kept up on the pre-treatment upstream of it.

NoCreativity

Nov 12, 2015
Des Moines
Oh jeez, I'd have to look and see if I have the original design plans for it somewhere in my files. It wasn't super deep, to begin with, but I could easily see it silting in over time, especially if the city hasn't kept up on the pre-treatment upstream of it.
That's OK, I was jsut curious, you don't have to go digging up plans. The part by the spillway seems like maybe 7 or 8 feet. The big tunnel on the other side it looks like you could walk across it on that end.