The Big 12 AD meeting Thursday night

Win5002

Apr 20, 2010
Sure what you say is true, but remember under the old system the whole idea was to get into states that did not have a Big 10 team to capture that market and be able to charge them. That is why adding Rutgers and Maryland made financial since. That has now changed, what is important now and going forward is size of the fan base, and butts in the seats, that is a good indicator of how many people will purchase the content that is streamed.
One of the biggest drawbacks of bringing ISU into the Big 10 was just that fact, they was already a team here, so no new viewers would be added, but now that concept is dying and being replaced because of streaming. Last full year of attendence 2019, ISU was 21st nationally, we were behind EIU which was 20th, that would have been good for 8th place in the league. So 6 other teams in the league had less fans at the games then we did. Since we expanded the stadium 5 years ago, our attendence was in the top 30 every year but one.

This idea by EIU fans that ISU brings nothing to the table is a myth, we are an AAU school, we have a fine history in both men's and woman's bb, plus the same in wrestling. We have an up and coming football team coming off the best season in school history finishing in 9th place in final polls. We have spent and continue to spend 10's of millions up rebuild and up date our facilities.

ISU is not the red haired step child that EIU fans continue to press that we are, and if they do not see that, I am sure that the Pac 12 will. Their arrogance will be their undoing, they will make a play for the better Pac 12 schools, which those schools will turn down to try and add the left over Big 12 schools and rebadge the TV network and make another go at it. The SEC will soon be pumping 70 to 80 million into the coffers of each member schools atheletic department and before long, Ohio St, Michigan and Penn. State will be wondering if they should also not get in on the money train and form a new super conference with the SEC, a few ACC teams and a few Pac 12 teams.
There's already quite a bit on Twitter about USC, UCLA, Oregon, Colorado wanting to go to the big 10. Why do you think those schools don't want to get paid?

Win5002

Apr 20, 2010
If the SEC is looking to expand and grab all of the superpowers they can, why wouldn't the B1G try and counter that? That seems like where this whole thing is headed
Even in the last 24 hours it or's it seems like there's more talk of that. It depends On what is the make up. Is it 2 leagues of 30 or 32, that gives Iowa state a better chance. Although the greediness of the sport makes me wonder if we don't end up with 2 leagues of 20 or 24 and the 3rd league of essentially the redheaded stepchildren which get about 33%
to 40% of the TV money the 2 power leagues get. If this was about consolidating revenues to the bigger brands, I'm afraid they would rather keep it among 40 to 48 schools

isucy86

Apr 13, 2006
Dubuque
FOX owns the PAC12 TV network, so they too could have an incentive to shuffle the best brands around to bring in more revenue.

In a way this is all starting to look like it might have been coordinated with the last round of TV deals and not the current ones.
Fox does not own the Pac12 Network. It is wholly owned by the Pac12. Fox does televise some Pac12 games, just like Fox televises some Big12 games.

I do think Disney and Fox are involved in the discussions to determine interest in certain teams and ideal game inventory each week. Allowing the media partners to maximize payments per school, but reduce their overall payouts

• Winner
Reactions: STLISU and 1UNI2ISU

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
Some very good points to ponder in this thread. I wish most of us could give opinion without discounting others' ideas. None of us know what is going on behind closed doors as much as you think you do. MOST people thought/think it's inevitable that CMC was gone after the first year of success like Herby thought. Some things don't make sense.

What we should all be able to agree on is that the SEC is making the move that makes the most sense to making money... FOR NOW. It seems that they have an idea of breaking away from NCAA now that the paying athletes thing is not under the table. Might as well add the two largest money-makers. That would put the SEC at 16. But are they working on booting Missouri, Vanderbilt, Arkansas, South Carolina, etc and replacing with Michigan, OSU, PSU, Clemson, Notre Dame, etc. Who knows.

It just feels at the end of the day we are seeing the end of college football as we loved it. Personally I just want to get to the end so I can move on with life. Let the greed play out and I feel will kill the golden goose as another poster said earlier.

Everyone is going to have to get on my level with women’s college soccer. It’s going to be awesome.

• Friendly
Reactions: OnlyCyclones

isucy86

Apr 13, 2006
Dubuque
Why not combine PAC 12, BIG, and 6 Big 12 teams, into a 32 team BIG that FOX can market as a new CFB league that competes against whatever the SEC is trying to do. Conference is 4 divisions of 8 teams, leading into a post season of a semi-final, and champ game to determine the league champ, which then plays whoever from ACC & SEC for national title. Posture the league as the main CFB conference going forward to make a push for the ACC schools added when their media deal is up.

The real money in this deal isn't the regular season, but the 12 team playoff. Media consultants project the playoff will bring $2M annually.

So the fewer schools taking a slice of the pie, means more money for schools like Texas, Oklahoma, Bama, Clemson, etc. So the ideal size for a Super Conference comes down to how many games Disney and Fox want for their inventory of Sat games.

Most importantly, the conferences want to maximize the number of schools they have in a playoff.

I think in the end the Big10 and SEC are going to want to tilt the table so they EACH get 4-5 playoff teams each year. Heck we could even see home/road games within a division each year. A scheduling approach similar to the NFL (aka four divisions with 5 teams each).

247cy

Nov 14, 2006
Spring Hill, KS
I would love to see
1) The SEC pick up TX/OU and then break away from the NCAA.
2) The Pac12, B1G, ACC, and remaining Big XII schools put aside ego and band together to create a 'mega super conference' that is realigned based on geographical pods and aligned with the NCAA
3) Implement scheduling such that the culmination of the season for the 'mega super' is similar to a true NFL style playoff and secure march madness style media rights.
4) Exclude the SEC from participation and refuse to acknowledge any attempts they have with in-league, incestuous claims to a 'national championship'.

I realize this is a tall ask, and I'll be left unsatisfied.

isucy86

Apr 13, 2006
Dubuque
Before I start, let me say that I think ISU is the best cultural, geographic, and athletics fit available for the Big Ten at this time and personally given the alternatives joining up with them would be ideal for ISU.

That said, if I'm the Big Ten, it is going to be necessary to sit back and see if what the SEC is trying to do works or not, and what the ramifications for the Big 10 would be. It could be a juggernaut in a couple years that has your own big dogs looking at greener pastures. Or perhaps the Big 10 does alright but it scares schools like USC and UCLA into looking for a home in a big pay for play league.

My gut says they are going to stand pat for now unless a really big fish (read none of the Big 12 leftovers) suddenly becomes available. And you will want a spot available when that day comes.
I don't see the Big10 standing pat at 14 teams. I'd be willing to bet the Big 10 will or has already reached out to Notre Dame, North Carolina, Virginia and maybe Clemson.

If the Big12 was top heavy from a media rights standpoint with Texas and Oklahoma, then the ACC has bigger issues from a football perspective. IMO Clemson is their only elite program. N Carolina, FL State and Miami are only at a Okie State level.

• Dumb
Reactions: 2speedy1

CentexCyclone

Oct 20, 2015
Sure what you say is true, but remember under the old system the whole idea was to get into states that did not have a Big 10 team to capture that market and be able to charge them. That is why adding Rutgers and Maryland made financial since. That has now changed, what is important now and going forward is size of the fan base, and butts in the seats, that is a good indicator of how many people will purchase the content that is streamed.

With all the sturm and drang of the las 48 hours, not enough attention has been paid to the impact and influence of streaming platforms on CFB realignment.

ISU should be in a better position for streaming than traditional TV networks. The former is narrative driven, while the latter is bound by geography and TV market size. And Cyclone Football has a very compelling narrative.

CarrollCyclone

Jul 7, 2011
So Fox and the B1G could force BTN into the regular cable tier for every subscriber in NY and NJ, and rake in $$$.

That's the only reason for Rutgers and Maryland (VA/MD/DC).

That and to a lesser extent, Rutgers and Maryland reside in pretty fertile recruiting grounds.

heitclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 21, 2009
Way up there
So OU and UT are still hiding under a rock somewhere right? Don't get me wrong, they are done with the big 12 but their silence makes me think they haven't gotten the all clear from the SEC on votes. It's probably inevitable they end up there but I don't think it's going to be more complicated than they thought.

deadeyededric

Dec 12, 2009
Parts Unknown
I don't see the Big10 standing pat at 14 teams. I'd be willing to bet the Big 10 will or has already reached out to Notre Dame, North Carolina, Virginia and maybe Clemson.

If the Big12 was top heavy from a media rights standpoint with Texas and Oklahoma, then the ACC has bigger issues from a football perspective. IMO Clemson is their only elite program. N Carolina, FL State and Miami are only at a Okie State level.
If you expand into Florida or North Carolina you also add to your conference's recruiting footprint. Something adding OK State doesn't do. Adding FSU would make it easier for other Big 10 teams to recruit Florida.

1UNI2ISU

Jan 30, 2013
Waterloo
Each school will owe the Big 12 over $76 million if they move to the SEC, per
@ESPN

Two Things:

1--There has to be a Big 12 in existence to owe that to

2--That's one year of what they're going to get in the SEC or they'll find it in the couch cushions.

• Agree
Reactions: 2speedy1

CloneGuy8

Mar 20, 2017
I imagine the meeting last night went like this with the AD's and presidents asking Bowslby this question
XAL2Egf.gif

• Haha
Reactions: khardbored

Help Support Us

Become a patron