Templeton

fatkid1974

Apr 3, 2010
van down by the river
This doesn't surprise me. Like home brewed beer, the smallest differences can have an effect on the final product.

The biggest difference and problem with the commercial TR is it's not aged long enough. Ol bushy got greedy and in a big hurry and the first batch was pushed up a year and was only aged I think 3 years instead of a minimum of 7 like everything you can buy underground. He also opened up the Chicago market without having enough rye & shortened the aging on the 2nd batch. If they would age it long enough I'm sure it would at least be somewhat comparable. That's the problem people have with it around these parts. We know what 7-14 year old rye taste like and can't understand why everyone is paying 45 bucks for a 1/5 of the Wall Lake Rye. You can't just put a still up in a machine shed and recreate the expertise and trial and error of years of distilling. I can go to food network, grab a recipe and make some lasagna but I guarantee it's not gonna taste like Emrils.

khehr

Apr 28, 2009
Ames
North Ames Fareway had 2- and 4-bottle gift baskets as of Thursday.

Still have the 4-bottle as of today (Monday)

My brother works at Fareway in Centerville and informs me that there is always TR on the shelf. He is now my enabler.

aute19

Sep 30, 2011
Still have the 4-bottle as of today (Monday)

My brother works at Fareway in Centerville and informs me that there is always TR on the shelf. He is now my enabler.

Yep. Four bottles of TR plus some cheeses and summer sausages, etc. for $199.99.

Broodwich

Nov 22, 2006
42.186391, -93.598597
Templeton Rye is a very good example of the Rye variety. I think a lot of the people who don't find it all that impressive would not enjoy rye whiskies in general. I've had Thomas Handy, Beam and Sazerac. In my honest opinion Templeton is a peer of these brands.

Jim Murray rates it a very respectable 93. Scott Bush is not pulling the wool over anyone's eyes. He's got a quality product that has been put forth under a lot of partially true mystique and local lore. It's an example of branding and marketing that should be studied by business students.

Great product, great hype. Good for Iowa. Good for whiskey lovers.

Schfinkter

Dec 3, 2008
Dandy's House
So I keep seeing people discuss the "real" templeton but have yet to figure out what they're meaning. Is there a different version harder to find or what? TIA

ISUAgronomist

Nov 5, 2009
On the farm, IA
So I keep seeing people discuss the "real" templeton but have yet to figure out what they're meaning. Is there a different version harder to find or what? TIA

Real stuff - Produced at home by families that have handed down their recipe. Only way to get it is to know someone.

Commercial - Brand/recipe purchased by Scott Bush to make the stuff on the shelves.

I thought my post summed it up well.

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying

There are still different people that make it/ "know someone." You can find it in mason jars, or even a 1/5 that only has a "greetings from Templeton" white address sticker on it. Some are cheap, some get to be just as pricey as Scott's product.

hawkeye_t

Apr 24, 2006
ID via PA via ME via IA
The biggest difference and problem with the commercial TR is it's not aged long enough. Ol bushy got greedy and in a big hurry and the first batch was pushed up a year and was only aged I think 3 years instead of a minimum of 7 like everything you can buy underground. He also opened up the Chicago market without having enough rye & shortened the aging on the 2nd batch. If they would age it long enough I'm sure it would at least be somewhat comparable. That's the problem people have with it around these parts. We know what 7-14 year old rye taste like and can't understand why everyone is paying 45 bucks for a 1/5 of the Wall Lake Rye. You can't just put a still up in a machine shed and recreate the expertise and trial and error of years of distilling. I can go to food network, grab a recipe and make some lasagna but I guarantee it's not gonna taste like Emrils.

Every batch of Templeton sold has been aged 4 years. The price you can buy Templeton for on the retail market is not set my the folks at Templeton. Iowa is a control state. Companies like Cedar Ridge, Templeton, etc sell their product to the state for a set price and the state turns and sells it to the next level. The retail price is 100% set by the retailer. That is why you see such a large fluctuation in the price at the retail level. I know for a fact that Templeton sells to the state at the same price today as they did for the first bottle of batch 1.

EYEoftheSTORM

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 3, 2009
Ames, Iowa
Had both, and my brothers girlfriend's is from Carrol so her parents get know how to get the real stuff. The one thing I noticed was the real stuff had a higher proof and you are drunk before you realize your getting drunk.

The real stuff has a real sharp bite on the lips, but goes down smooth.

illinoiscyclone

Jan 30, 2008
Wisconsin
My random thoughts:

The Templeton in Jack bottles wrapped in duct tape is awesome. Unfortunately, I haven't had any since I started really enjoying whiskey.

Regular Templeton is pretty good. The first time I tasted it at outlaws, it was amazing. By my estimation it was probably from batch three, possibly from two. The first bottle I bought myself was from batch 4, and it got exposed to some heat. I don't know if that is why, but I don't enjoy it anymore than any good bourbon. A different bottle from batch four happened to get abandoned at my house in Ames and didn't have a cork in it. It has been breathing since Thanksgiving, and this might make some people mad, but I did a side by side taste test (not blind, unfortunately) and I thought it tasted better than the other bottle.

As others have said you can't compare rye, bourbon, and canadian. I think Crown tastes like water, but I like to mix canadian whiskeys because they are so mellow.

My favorite whiskey I have ever had straight is maker's mark. Second is woodford reserve. I had booker's once because someone was trying to impress me when buying a drink and they got me a whiskey and diet made with it. Best whiskey diet I've ever had, but I've never had it neat.

I hate Jameson, and I hate Johnny walker blue and red. I want to like scotch, but when I drank walker I felt like i was drinking water swished around in an ashtray. Any suggestions on decent priced scotch?

herbicide

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
Ankeny, IA
Semi related, but how many of you whisky drinkers have had Red Breast before? The Irish whisky, for all you smartypants out there.

Reactions: Broodwich

Schfinkter

Dec 3, 2008
Dandy's House
There are still different people that make it/ "know someone." You can find it in mason jars, or even a 1/5 that only has a "greetings from Templeton" white address sticker on it. Some are cheap, some get to be just as pricey as Scott's product.

Thanks for the info, I'd love to get my hand on some of the real stuff.

herbicide

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
Ankeny, IA
Thanks for the info, I'd love to get my hand on some of the real stuff.

Like others have said, I've had good and 'bad.' Something to be aware of, much of the real stuff is white lightning, it is clear and not aged in charred casks. Quite a bit different taste too.

CycloneYoda

Jan 27, 2009
Those "real" T-Rye folks have nothing on me. Sure, they can get their good stuff, just like i can track down homemade rum in a jungle on St. Kitts, and receive a bottle of George Wasington's Rye for Christmas every year. Only 500 bottles produced, and the bottles are 350ml.

So there.

herbicide

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
Ankeny, IA
Those "real" T-Rye folks have nothing on me. Sure, they can get their good stuff, just like i can track down homemade rum in a jungle on St. Kitts, and receive a bottle of George Wasington's Rye for Christmas every year. Only 500 bottles produced, and the bottles are 350ml.

So there.

PS, I've had much better "shine" than Templeton. Some stuff in the Arkansas hills comes to mind. Hillbillies know their shine.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron