Templeton

VTXCyRyD

Sep 2, 2010
I'm sorry I can't bite my lip any longer. Do people REALLY like the taste of this stuff? Because I'd bet serious money if you put a blind taste test of Templeton up against Crown that Crown would demolish Templeton. Basically TR tastes like a knock-off Jim Beam...with all the bite and aftertaste to go along with it. You can't be Crown Royal. TR's all hype I say and good for them pulling it off...you only make a select amount..give it a good story..and run up the price.
You are listing a couple of different types of whiskey in your post. Templeton Rye, Crown Royal, and Jim Beam taste nothing alike.

I may be the odd man in this, but I prefer Jim Beam above the other two.

Clonefan94

Oct 18, 2006
Schaumburg, IL
I'm sorry I can't bite my lip any longer. Do people REALLY like the taste of this stuff? Because I'd bet serious money if you put a blind taste test of Templeton up against Crown that Crown would demolish Templeton. Basically TR tastes like a knock-off Jim Beam...with all the bite and aftertaste to go along with it. You can't be Crown Royal. TR's all hype I say and good for them pulling it off...you only make a select amount..give it a good story..and run up the price.

Have you ever heard of personal preference? I'm a big whiskey drinker. It's really the only spirit I drink. I've had a glass of just about every "Good" Scotch, American, Canadian and Irish Whiskey that's available. I'm not here to claim I've tasted the Most expensive Scotches, far from it, but I've had just about everything available in Illinois that's under $60/bottle. My favorite is Bourbon. It's just the taste that I like. And amazingly, most Canadian Whiskeys just do not do it for me. There is a distinctive "Canadian Flavor" that just does not appeal to my taste buds. I'm also not much of a Scotch drinker. I've found with Scotch, for me to enjoy it, I have to have a "Good" bottle. By in large, I'm just not a Scotch drinker. But I can kick back with a glass of Jim Beam on the rocks and be quite content. Far from my first choice, but I would probably drink Jim Beam over Crown most days. Crown is quite smooth, I will say that, but as I said, the Canadians just do something that doesn't fit my taste. Most commonly, I'm drinking Knob Creek or Maker's Mark.

Templeton is a very good Whiskey, it has gotten quite good ratings in most articles I've seen on it. And even though it's not a bourbon, it's definitely up there as one of my favorites. It's odd too, because my dad always complains that I never have any Canadian Whiskey at my house.

BKLYNCyclone

Sep 16, 2007
Twin Cities, MN
I drink a lot of Bourbon and Rye... Bulleit Rye is better than commercial TR. I've never had the pleasure of family TR, but would definitely like to sometime. I'm hoping my cousins can track down a load.

I used to be able to find TR in good bourbon bars.

If you like Bourbon, get your hands on some Blanton's. It's my favorite of the 10 or so brands I've sampled and IMO gives you the best bang for your buck. (anything better will cost a lot more than the $50 for blantons) Also, Blanton's will define smooth for anyone who thinks TR commercial is actually smooth... Basil Haydens and Bookers are also pretty good. Makers is sweet, so I only really use it for cooking or mixers. I used to keep a handle of standard Bulleit for every day usage, but am having a hard time finding it here in the Twin Cities for some reason.

TR commercial tastes really green to me. I have a 2009 bottle and a 2011 bottle that I'm going to compare to see if they taste the same or not. Would love to get my hands on a jug of the original.

Last edited:

Jnecker4cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 18, 2006
Ankeny, IA
I just bought two bottles at the Ankeny Wal-Mart, they had another 12 or so on the shelf. That was this past Thursday however. Had to go to Decorah over the weekend for the in-laws christmas, and when I got gas at the Kum and Go in Story City they had 10-12 bottles on the shelf also. My cousins husband is a big TR fan and has luck of late finding bottles at Kum and Go's in the Des Moines area. Also the good news is the bottles I got at the Ankeny Wal Mart were as cheap as I have ever seen them. $32.47 a bottle. Good Luck.

BKLYNCyclone

Sep 16, 2007
Twin Cities, MN
I just bought two bottles at the Ankeny Wal-Mart, they had another 12 or so on the shelf. That was this past Thursday however. Had to go to Decorah over the weekend for the in-laws christmas, and when I got gas at the Kum and Go in Story City they had 10-12 bottles on the shelf also. My cousins husband is a big TR fan and has luck of late finding bottles at Kum and Go's in the Des Moines area. Also the good news is the bottles I got at the Ankeny Wal Mart were as cheap as I have ever seen them. $32.47 a bottle. Good Luck.

Wow, that is cheap. I heard you couldn't get it for less than $45 now.

intrepid27

Oct 9, 2006
Marion, IA
Sounds a little too backwoods Appalachia for my liking.

Having grown up in Carroll County I can assure you some of the bootleg rye is better than the commercial product. However , as with any homemade item is is not always consistent.
Last bottle I had a drink of (bootleg) was so smooth I'd put is up against ANY store bought whiskey.

mustangcy

Apr 11, 2006
Bloomfield
What you are describing is a preference not an indication of quality. I like rye whiskeys but I don't drink Templeton for certain reasons.

However, there's a difference between it and Crown. One is a rye whiskey and one isn't. The flavors will be consistent with the grain. Essentially, they are two different classes of whiskey and head-to-head comparisons would be pointless.

If you want to make a comparison in a taste test you would compare Rye whiskeys to one another.

EDIT: Crown is a good product. If I want a different taste I'll grab some rye (or something else). They suppose to taste different. Not trying to say your preference is not valid. Different products.

Ok, fair enough. I don't drink Whiskey like I used to so I'm no expert...I just like what I like. I was also with a group of friends about a month or so ago (all whiskey drinkers) and we passed a bottle of TR around. To a man everybody thought it was overrated whiskey. There were 5 guys there and all didn't think much of it. Maybe we got a bad bottle? I had some on the rocks during the ISU/Iowa BB game last year and again thought it tasted like a cut rate Jim Beam.

BlondeCy

Jul 25, 2008
The reason TR is easier to find this time of year is they ramped- up the number bottles for distribution in Iowa for the holidays. They only distribute in Iowa, Illinois, New York and San Fransisco. I want to say they go from about 1000 cases for a typical month for the holidays they are distributing ~12,000 cases for Oct through December.

Here's story from their website:

Templeton Rye blog » Blog Archive » Monthly allocation to State of Iowa for the holidays

My husband bought a bottle at our local Fareway a week or two ago. Never seen it there before. I think many outlets that request TR only get it during the holidays.

Last edited:

oldman

Nov 5, 2009

Crown is very very good, but I've not had anything that I remember, smoother than Templeton.

Let's Go State

Nov 6, 2007
West Coast (of Iowa)
Ok, fair enough. I don't drink Whiskey like I used to so I'm no expert...I just like what I like. I was also with a group of friends about a month or so ago (all whiskey drinkers) and we passed a bottle of TR around. To a man everybody thought it was overrated whiskey. There were 5 guys there and all didn't think much of it. Maybe we got a bad bottle? I had some on the rocks during the ISU/Iowa BB game last year and again thought it tasted like a cut rate Jim Beam.

Jim beam and crown are totally different whiskey's. However TR does taste like other rye whiskey's - Jim beam is entering this market due to the popularity. Rye is a sweeter whiskey. TR is unique because of how smooth it is. If you prefer a harder bite and don't like much flavor, it's probably not your style.

I have collegues that ask me to bring a bottle as I travel around because they take it to parties. One was offered a lot more than face value if they could get some more. The scarcity and story are creating a lot of demand.

BigLame

Feb 6, 2008
Western IA
Seems in Western Iowa the hype of Templeton Rye is greater than other areas of Iowa (Beings I live in Western Iowa & try to find some of the stuff)
Thanks to CF, I've checked Fareways, and the last 2 times struck gold - Gold, Jerry!
It is a smooth whiskey. The real stuff is smooth, but I think has more 'burn' after swallowing. It is also cool cause you can clean paintbrushes with it, too.:wink:

Schfinkter

Dec 3, 2008
Dandy's House
Just picked up 4 bottles for Christmas gifts at a QT in Des Moines for $34 a bottle, had at least 6 more bottles on the shelf and maybe some still in the back

Gorm

With any luck we will be there by Tuesday.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 6, 2010
Cedar Rapids, IA
Was at Wal-mart at Cedar Rapids yesterday, they had a whole shelf full for like 34 bucks a pop. Didn't buy any though as my dad recently stopped drinking.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron