TCU Basketball

Rickybaby

Apr 15, 2006
Basketball is different from football in that just a couple of players can make a huge difference. Their recruiting profile in hoops just went way up by joining the B12; and there is a lot of BB talent in Texas. Not saying they are going to compete right away but a few years down the road ... who knows.

Cydkar

Apr 12, 2006
TCU will become at least average in a fairly short time. Assuming they don't have a crappy coach. I have no idea.

CloneAggie

Oct 21, 2006
TCU better be scheduling Simpson and Grandview for non-conference games if they plan on winning a game before conference play.
Why? They were 10-6 prior to conference play last year, beating two BCS schools (USC and Texas Tech).

Clones21

Jan 20, 2008
Des Moines
Why? They were 10-6 prior to conference play last year, beating two BCS schools (USC and Texas Tech).
10-6 is a horrible record coming into conference play. I expect ISU to be undefeated or at 1 loss going into conference play this upcoming year.

Chitowncy

SuperFanatic
Jan 14, 2009
Ames
Basketball is different from football in that just a couple of players can make a huge difference. Their recruiting profile in hoops just went way up by joining the B12; and there is a lot of BB talent in Texas. Not saying they are going to compete right away but a few years down the road ... who knows.

Agree completely. Just look at what Baylor has done since joining the Big 12. They went from a team with horrible attendance (less than 4,000 per game) and horrible history to moderate attendance (still among the lowest in the Big 12) and a good basketball program. We just helped TCU tremendously. Now they get to bring in Kansas, Missouri (maybe), Texas, OU, Okla. State, etc. every year.

As a basketball fan, I must say I am quite disappointed in TCU joining the conference. I've been to their arena and it has a worse atmosphere than any team in the Big 12 - BY FAR! It's just sad. This is a mid-major type program folks.

I pray we can add Louisville, BYU and either WVU or Cincy to make up for the bad, BAD basketball at TCU.

Cydkar

Apr 12, 2006
The last thing I'm worried about is having too many poor basketball programs in the Big 12.

CloneAggie

Oct 21, 2006
10-6 is a horrible record coming into conference play. I expect ISU to be undefeated or at 1 loss going into conference play this upcoming year.
Their non-conference sos was actually better than ours last year. Besides, you said they needed to schedule those teams to win a game. Clearly they don't. They can win a number of games by scheduling legitimate teams. How quickly people forget where we were a few years ago. 2008 we were 10-6 in non-conference play.

nickcyv

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 29, 2009
CFH went 16-16 with a 3-13 record in the Big 12. Not exactly that great. don't get me wrong, I am not down on CFH or what he is doing. But to say that he did remarkable is kind of crazy.

As far as the recruits playing for us..... they haven't played a game yet. too many people are getting way ahead of themselves in their expectations.

ISU fans have no room to talk trash about other basketball programs. That was my only point.

When you compare ISU and TCU. ISU has LOTS of room to talk trash. They were the worst team in the MWC... That is bad.

Chitowncy

SuperFanatic
Jan 14, 2009
Ames
These pictures will give you an idea of the ****** crowds at TCU games. Keep in mind, this is against the #6 ranked San Diego State team of last year.
Deuce High: Arena Adventures: Daniel-Meyer Coliseum

Mimics my experience in Daniel-Meyer Coliseum. There were honest-to-God about 1000 people at the game I attended. And they played SMU from just across the Metroplex.

All I'm saying is that as a basketball fan, I hate bringing these programs into such a strong basketball conference. The benefits run one direction, to TCU. TCU brings nothing to the table for bball.

Peter

Feb 21, 2010
Madison, Wisconsin
These pictures will give you an idea of the ****** crowds at TCU games. Keep in mind, this is against the #6 ranked San Diego State team of last year.
Deuce High: Arena Adventures: Daniel-Meyer Coliseum

Mimics my experience in Daniel-Meyer Coliseum. There were honest-to-God about 1000 people at the game I attended. And they played SMU from just across the Metroplex.

All I'm saying is that as a basketball fan, I hate bringing these programs into such a strong basketball conference. The benefits run one direction, to TCU. TCU brings nothing to the table for bball.

So basically it is Colorado with a few more fans.

Harry

Mar 27, 2006
They beat Texas Tech something we couldn't do. UNI beat them by four points. They were not a whole lot worse then we were. They finished last in their league just as we did in ours.

gocubs2118

Mar 31, 2006
Illinois
They beat Texas Tech something we couldn't do. UNI beat them by four points. They were not a whole lot worse then we were. They finished last in their league just as we did in ours.

We would not have finished last in the MWC last year.

Senolcyc

Apr 20, 2010
I believe TCU should be required to add basketball to get in the Big 12.

:psmile:

MissouriFan

Jun 2, 2009
St. Louis
TCU has a lot going for them with good academics, great football, great baseball, and being located in the DFW metro but hoops is definitely a weak spot for them.

- They play in an unimpressive and old 7,166 seat arena
06-dmc-b.jpg

- They have only made the NCAA tournament 7 times with their last trip being in 1998 and their last tournament win in 1987.

- Last year they averaged 4,285 fans per game.

- Their current coach is Jim Christian and after going 138-58 with 2 NCAA appearnces at Kent State he has struggled at TCU with a reccord of 38-58.

Hopefully with a move to the Big 12 they invest more into their hoops program. I hope they build a new 9 or 10 thousand seat arena with top of the line facilities. That plus their location and the teams they are going to be playing should help them bring in better talent.

Here are two examples of the kind of arena I think they should build.

Auburn Arena opened in 2010 with a capacity of 9,121 and was built for 92.5 million
Auburn_Arena_3.jpg

arena_locker_room.JPG

11-4covertop.jpg

Or

Chaifetz Arena opened in 2008 with a capacity of 10,600 and was built for 80.5 million.
image.jpg

p10100611.jpg

Chaifetz_arena.jpg

SuitesWeb.jpg

lorenzinis2.jpg

530159.jpg

If SLU can build an arena like that in the A10 then I'm sure TCU could in the Big 12. An arena like one of the above plus games against Kansas, Kansas State, Iowa State, Texas, Baylor, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, Texas Tech, and Mizzou (if we stay) should really be able to help elevate their program. There is plenty of hoops talent for them to recruit in Texas.

Last edited:

NATEizKING

Feb 18, 2011
Hilton
CFH went 16-16 with a 3-13 record in the Big 12. Not exactly that great. don't get me wrong, I am not down on CFH or what he is doing. But to say that he did remarkable is kind of crazy.

As far as the recruits playing for us..... they haven't played a game yet. too many people are getting way ahead of themselves in their expectations.

ISU fans have no room to talk trash about other basketball programs. That was my only point.

We finished with the best record for the worst team in a BCS conference. Their record just sucked in a non-BCS conference. Teams can have a bad game (TT or USC) and lose, basketball is a crazy game.

cykadelic2

Jun 10, 2006
When Billy Tubbs was the coach and Lee Nailon played there.

Billy had Daniel Meyer filled up for many games when he was there with Nailon. Their last two hires have not worked out at all. If Christian does not significantly improve the record this season, he will be fired and they will bring in a new guy with the their new TV money from FB. With the nearby DFW recruiting base, there is no excuse for them being that bad for so long and I would expect them to become very competitive with the right coach (just like they have in FB and their other sports).

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
We need a new "nebraska" to pad our win total.

Best post in the thread.

I looked back at ISU's wins over Nebraska in the past 15 years a while back and the wins accumulated against that pathetic program are staggering.

No team is even CLOSE to providing ISU with as many wins. Even a lot of ISU's worst teams got two wins against Nebraska. We've been pretty horrible the past 4 seasons, and still managed to go 5-3 against Nebraska in that time frame, that's how bad they are.

Overall it's like an average of 1.8 wins a year we lost off our schedule with the Huskers leaving. They're 0 for all time in the NCAA tournament.

All 10 current Big 12 teams have sweet 16 runs or better in the past 15 years. We need a team like TCU basketball in this league. ESPECIALLY when the other expansion candidates consist of powerhouses like Louisville, Cincy, WVU and BYU.

GREAT basketball move for ISU and the Big 12.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
MissouriFan, not trying to flame you, just want an honest opinion?

What are your feelings about joining a conference where only the fans of Kentucky and Vanderbilt know the sport of basketball exists?

You're going from playing against packed large stadiums to playing games nobody cares about in states like Mississippi, Alabama and Georgia.

The Big 12 Texas teams atmosphere aren't as intense from a fan perspective as the Big 8/Big 12 North/OU/OSU. But when a massive athletic program like Auburn builds a brand new arena that is just over HALF the size of Iowa State's, you know that's a total crap basketball conference with fans that don't like basketball.

Mizzou belongs in the Big 12 or Big Ten. Basketball and wrestling put it in focus even more than football does.

Last edited: