Taylor's Turnovers

• Politics and In-State Rivals Threads - You will notice that you may or may not be seeing expected posts from the Politics and In-State Rivals forums.

Due to the nature of these forums, they have been changed from an opt-out to opt-in design - meaning you must opt-in to see them. Unfortunately, that only changes the default for new registrations. Your selections right now are likely not what you want.

You can opt-in/out to either the Politics or In-State Rivals Forums in your user settings (click for instructions to learn more).

ISUFan22

Apr 11, 2006
Denver, CO
Ok, ok, I know the kid just ripped off 33 points for us. And thank you Mike, for putting the team on your back in the 2nd half.

Yet, he had 6 of the team's 10 turnovers. Much better than Sunday, but 6 is still too many. I think 2-3 of those were silly ball-palming turnovers.

In this close game, we're fortunate Mike didn't convert one of these in the final minutes when it could have cost us the game. So kudos to him for that too, protecting the ball near the end of the game.

He's gotta work on the turnovers. If he can get that number down...boy...that'll be crazy.

Anytime we can get 33 points from him, I'll mostly ignore 6 turnovers. Yet we all know he won't get us 33 ever night (avg is 18.4 right now). But with him averaging 6.8 turnovers a game right now - so far, we can about expect those same 6 turnovers each game.

Continue lighting up the scoreboard Mike, just eliminate the silly mistakes.

chuckd4735

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2006
Lee's Summit, MO
Ok, ok, I know the kid just ripped off 33 points for us. And thank you Mike, for putting the team on your back in the 2nd half.

Yet, he had 6 of the team's 10 turnovers. Much better than Sunday, but 6 is still too many. I think 2-3 of those were silly ball-palming turnovers.

In this close game, we're fortunate Mike didn't convert one of these in the final minutes when it could have cost us the game. So kudos to him for that too, protecting the ball near the end of the game.

He's gotta work on the turnovers. If he can get that number down...boy...that'll be crazy.

Anytime we can get 33 points from him, I'll mostly ignore 6 turnovers. Yet we all know he won't get us 33 ever night (avg is 18.4 right now). But with him averaging 6.8 turnovers a game right now - so far, we can about expect those same 6 turnovers each game.

Like I said, we still have alot of work to do, alot of improving to do, and alot of games to play. Tonight was a huge step in the right direction!! I am very excited for whats to come!

rbrook

Mar 23, 2006
Newton, IA
Visit site
Just remember, Tinsley was a turnover machine early in his career also. We have to take the good with bad until he learns. I am confident he will learn. Be patient.

cmoore_23

Mar 23, 2006
Ankeny, IA
might sound silly.. but i think having jiri will help in this case.. tonite i noticed along with the annoucers the posts were not really guarding our guys.. meanin there was almost another defender because we weren't exactly gettin the ball into the post... its hard to explain but this is the best way i could put it into words

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha
Taylor is playing faster than the rest of the team.

Oklahoma lost again tonight.

ISUFan22

Apr 11, 2006
Denver, CO
Yup, Juri will help a a lot. When your true center only plays 15 minutes and you can get a guy like Juri back on the court - that's huge.

Taylor still has plenty of things to work on though. That's all I wanted to point out.

bawbie

Staff member
Mar 17, 2006
Cedar Rapids, IA
might sound silly.. but i think having jiri will help in this case.. tonite i noticed along with the annoucers the posts were not really guarding our guys.. meanin there was almost another defender because we weren't exactly gettin the ball into the post... its hard to explain but this is the best way i could put it into words

That's very true. One stat that shows your point is that we only had 4 free throws before the last minute or so, and they were all Cory Johnson. We need to feed the post better, and we need to take the ball to the hoop better. (and from the radio broadcast, it sound like the ref's blowing the whistle once in a while would help too).

IlliniCyclone

Aug 17, 2006
Port Byron, IL
That's very true. One stat that shows your point is that we only had 4 free throws before the last minute or so, and they were all Cory Johnson. We need to feed the post better, and we need to take the ball to the hoop better. (and from the radio broadcast, it sound like the ref's blowing the whistle once in a while would help too).

I watched the game, wouldn't say it was poorly officiated. The refs allowed pretty physical play on both sides, which definitely didn't benefit the cyclones. Couldn't agree more that we need to feed the post. Our big men do pass the ball well, so feed it in there and set up the inside/outside game.

CY ST8T

Mar 23, 2006

Not silly at all, every time Marsden was in Minnesota would drop a guy off of him and overplay the guards. They knew that Ross was not an outside threat. And then when we doubled down on the post, there guards were open for threes. The lack of post defense is going to hurt in the long run. Especially when our bigs foul as we have no depth.

Fletch

Apr 10, 2006

Wow, normally I would agree with you. But tonight...a night when a kid played harder and with more emotion than anyone has played since the old Larry Ball 2001 squad. Yelling on the court, getting his team fired up,being a leader and oh yeah, scoring PLUS 30!

Did we make mistakes? yep
Was it pretty? at times no

It is early in the season and I hate to say it but we are light years ahead of where I thought we would be considering the turnover in personal.

Let it go...and I say that with a smile on my face, not shakin my head. This team FIGURED OUT HOW TO WIN...and I LOVE IT!!!!!!!! :wink0st: :yes4lo:

jwrussel

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2006
Ankeny, IA
I was actually impressed with his play in the first half. Yes, point wise, the production was not nearly the same as the second. But he was doing great at getting open off screens for open shot (even if the shots weren't falling), penetrating into the paint, and had several nice looking assists.
Some of his shots in the 2nd half may have been a little "ill-adviced" from a technical perspecive, but when one is feeling it as much as he was - there is no such things as an ill-advised shot.

mj4cy

Asst. Regional Manager
Staff member
Mar 28, 2006
Iowa
In his defense, when he has the ball the most, he has the most potential to get more turnovers

ce1

Mar 23, 2006
Minnesota
Taylor is playing faster than the rest of the team.

Oklahoma lost again tonight.

Taylor was faster than any defender tonight. Minnesota's best starting defender, Lawrence McKenzie, was reassigned (did anyone notice?). They brought in Limar Wilson, a 5-10 speedster with limited half court ability, to try to guard Taylor, because McKenzie couldn't keep up with him. After the game, my Gopher friends were amazed at how fast Taylor was.

Anyone on his case for turning over the ball so much is nuts. He made this game. When we wasn't scoring, ISU was getting rebounds because the MN bigs had to come out to help guard penetration, leaving Wesley, Rahshon, and Corey with garbage points. He scored more than 33, he opened up the easy baskets for the rest of the team. I'm fine with him turning over the ball 10 times when he creates as much as he does. You're going to turn the ball over more when the ball is in your hands as much as it was his tonight.

ISUCY11

Aug 3, 2006
Chicago, IL
he's still adjusting to major college basketball. I'm sure McDermott will get all the JUCO style game outta him and turn him into a real BigXII threat. I agree with the Tinsley comparison, because like Tinsley did, Taylor is just starting to adjust from JUCO competition to BigXII ball. I believe in him...and McIntosh for that matter as well...

ISUFan22

Apr 11, 2006
Denver, CO
Guys, please understand the point.

Taylor won't get 33 every night. What about the nights he scores 15 and 6 turnovers? The first half was going that direction for him, fortunately he got very, very hot. That 2nd half onslaught from him was amazing.

As I noted, I love what the kid did for us last night - we lose the game in an ugly way without his intensity and scoring.

I'm just seeing consistent silly turnovers from him no matter how much he's touching the ball. Go look at his stats, he's averaging 18.4 points and 6.8 turnovers per game. This against sub-par competition.

I know he'll get better, I'd be shocked if he didn't. I'm just keeping last night in perspective - because at some point Taylor is going to do something that will cost us a game - and then many fans will be on his butt again.

ISU_phoria

Apr 10, 2006
Andover, MN
Guys, please understand the point.

Taylor won't get 33 every night. What about the nights he scores 15 and 6 turnovers? The first half was going that direction for him, fortunately he got very, very hot. That 2nd half onslaught from him was amazing.

As I noted, I love what the kid did for us last night - we lose the game in an ugly way without his intensity and scoring.

I'm just seeing consistent silly turnovers from him no matter how much he's touching the ball. Go look at his stats, he's averaging 18.4 points and 6.8 turnovers per game. This against sub-par competition.

I know he'll get better, I'd be shocked if he didn't. I'm just keeping last night in perspective - because at some point Taylor is going to do something that will cost us a game - and then many fans will be on his butt again.

I think you're way too pesimistic. We won our first road game, with a very young, inexperienced team against a B10 team. All of this was without our best big man on the court.

Taylor was solely responsible for the win last night. And while I agree with your sentiment that he might cost us a game or two down the road, he is already responsible for a couple of our wins, don't forget. He will be responsible for many more W's than L's this year.

He will cut down on the turnovers and as the season progresses, the "palming" calls will go away....as they do every year. Refs always emphasize them early, then it fades as conference play begins.

With an great talent like Taylor, who plays with unbelievable energy (you should have seen him last night during deadballs and TV timeouts, he was constantly pumping up the team) you have to take the mistakes and the successes in stride.

IMO, this team is way ahead of where I thought they'd be at this point and that goes for Taylor as well....I love watching him play, he can create a shot with all five defenders on him.

I can't wait for Jiri to come back, hopefully Marsden & Cory Johnson can quickly improve their defense. If they fall into place nicely, this team could do some pretty amazing things this year.

A long ways to go and a lot of improvement is needed, but the potential is obvious!

Last edited: