T.J. Tampa projected as first round pick going into NFL Combine

Frak

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 27, 2009
This has Tampa a bit faster. How bout Nikkel ripping off a 4.40?!?

Nikkel has some wheels, but he’s still going to struggle to get drafted. Film doesn’t lie.

• Agree
Reactions: BigCyFan

Cfinnerty16

Visual Analytics Czar
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 26, 2021
West Des Moines
Marq Tampa said something about TJs agility drills answering all questions needed.
Do we know his shuttle times?
I for one want to know his jump measurements lol

Reactions: bozclone

Jer

Opinionated
Feb 28, 2006
Marq Tampa said something about TJs agility drills answering all questions needed.
Do we know his shuttle times?
I for one want to know his jump measurements lol
Again, not sure if public but 40 was 4.5, shuttle at 4.07. All indications are he was impressive but a little slow out of the gate.

MustardTiger

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 4, 2019
The Dirty Burger

Cfinnerty16

Visual Analytics Czar
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 26, 2021
West Des Moines

Not sure if posted yet, but PFF had a new mock yesterday with Tampa going to the Lions at 29.
I saw some auto draft simulations that had the 49ers picking him up in the first round at 31 :chris:

CychiatricWard

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 27, 2017
Des Moines
I looked that up, too.

Then realized that very few of the corners did either drill, apparently satisfied with their ludicrous 40 times.
I will never understand the fascination with 40 times. How many times a game does a player sprint 40 yards straight? Maybe once. More indicative of a players prowess is their hip movement and getting in and out of breaks. Shuttle and cone are good examples of what an actual athlete looks like.

Bigman38

SuperFanatic
Jul 27, 2010
Council Bluffs, IA
I will never understand the fascination with 40 times. How many times a game does a player sprint 40 yards straight? Maybe once. More indicative of a players prowess is their hip movement and getting in and out of breaks. Shuttle and cone are good examples of what an actual athlete looks like.

Very easy for armchair GM's to understand and compare.

It's like how fans are obsessed with a QB's arm, it a lot harder to evaluate how good they are at making reads, etc. but pretty easy to see how hard someone can throw it.

Aclone

Dec 14, 2007
Des Moines, Ia.
It’s a transferable benchmark, like the bench press. Although more so.

And besides, it offers a comparison point when, say, a corner needs to keep up with a receiver running a fly pattern two or three times a game to stretch the defense.

A guy running a 4.65 isn’t remotely going to be able to do that.

Then you factor in the matter of pursuit. If, say, a running back breaks through the line of scrimmage, there isn’t anyone who doesn’t like the idea of having someone away from the ball who can catch up before they go eighty yards.

I mean, aside from the offense.

CychiatricWard

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 27, 2017
Des Moines
It’s a transferable benchmark, like the bench press. Although more so.

And besides, it offers a comparison point when, say, a corner needs to keep up with a receiver running a fly pattern two or three times a game to stretch the defense.

A guy running a 4.65 isn’t remotely going to be able to do that.

Then you factor in the matter of pursuit. If, say, a running back breaks through the line of scrimmage, there isn’t anyone who doesn’t like the idea of having someone away from the ball who can catch up before they go eighty yards.

I mean, aside from the offense.
I get that aspect but that rarely happens. Safety help over the top should be there. CB coverage usually happens in a box, and if you have elite agility that will take care of 90% of the routes.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron