Suprised more people aren't discussing taking a knee

CTAClone

Addict
Mar 28, 2006
Amerika
we had the ball, nebraska had pretty much of a zero chance to win the game. the only way we lose the game is if we royally screw up. taking it to OT gives nebraska multiple ways to win the game.

cyclones500

Jan 29, 2010
Michigan
basslakebeacon.com
Great game, but I can't say that I've ever seen an offense take a knee with so much time and timeouts just for a tie? I loved the call to go for 2 but really question not trying to get into fg position with 40 secs left. Thought is was vote of zero confidence in AA's ability to throw the ball. He couldn't run and can't throw...they kept him on the field too long today.

I thought it made sense to play for OT at that point, but of course I questioned it more after losing it in OT. But it's easy to think that way ... because of how the game ended. That brought up all sorts of second-guessing.

One was, why not just go for it all in regulation? But if we had a turnover, and NU won in regulation, we'd be second-gussing that.

If we were going to fake the PAT to go for two, why didn't we run a fake on that 55-yard FG? Well, if he had made it, we're up 3, and who knows?

I liked going for 2 after the TD, but I would have preferred going for it straight. But we could have missed that just as easily.

Had we gone for 1 and missed the XP, I would've thought, might as well have gone for the win — or run a fake, even if it failed(!)

If we had kicked it to play for 2nd OT, and lost there, I would've preferred playing for the win.

I replayed all that after the loss, wondering if any of those decisions were "good" or "bad." If ISU had won, every one of those choices would have been "brilliant" or "gutsy." Or both

gocubs2118

Mar 31, 2006
Illinois
we had the ball, nebraska had pretty much of a zero chance to win the game. the only way we lose the game is if we royally screw up. taking it to OT gives nebraska multiple ways to win the game.

Uh, I guess who were not paying attention when AA threw the pick 6. We were pretty much at the same exact yard line going into the wind.

He already had royally screwed up, why risk it again?

CTAClone

Addict
Mar 28, 2006
Amerika
I thought it made sense to play for OT at that point, but of course I questioned it more after losing it in OT. But it's easy to think that way ... because of how the game ended. That brought up all sorts of second-guessing.

One was, why not just go for it all in regulation? But if we had a turnover, and NU won in regulation, we'd be second-gussing that.

If we were going to fake the PAT to go for two, why didn't we run a fake on that 55-yard FG? Well, if he had made it, we're up 3, and who knows?

I liked going for 2 after the TD, but I would have preferred going for it straight. But we could have missed that just as easily.

Had we gone for 1 and missed the XP, I would've thought, might as well have gone for the win — or run a fake, even if it failed(!)

If we had kicked it to play for 2nd OT, and lost there, I would've preferred playing for the win.

I replayed all that after the loss, wondering if any of those decisions were "good" or "bad." If ISU had won, every one of those choices would have been "brilliant" or "gutsy." Or both

i was ****** when they took the knee not after the loss. Seriously i cant believe how many people are so afraid of screwing up.

Uh, I guess who were not paying attention when AA threw the pick 6. We were pretty much at the same exact yard line going into the wind.

He already had royally screwed up, why risk it again?

with that kind of thinking we should never throw a pass in our own end of the field then, makes no sense. any senior qb in that situation should know and be told don't force it. throw it away if it's not there. we rolled over and didnt keep the foot on the accelerator.

ahaselhu

Sep 10, 2007
Clarinda, IA
I think it was probably a 50-50 choice. Not much chance to move the ball through the air against the nations #1 ranked pass defense when Nebraska would be expecting a pass, and not likely that running the ball would pick up 40 yards in 40 seconds, even with 3 time outs.

On the other hand, they had the advantage in field goal kicking, so overtime odds favored them.

I don't think there was a right or wrong decision there.

RING4CY

Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 20, 2010
Ames, IA
Even with 3 timeouts, to go 45-50 to get lined up for a field goal is risking too much. I take a knee.

HOTDON

Mar 24, 2006
Fort Dodge, IA
Do you know why we didn't go for it? Texas Tech. We tried to gamble before the end of the first half, and Tech put up 14 points in the last 1:15. Period. Discussion over.

Everyone is also overlooking the defense. I see it as less of a vote against the offense, and more as a vote of confidence in the defense. The defense played well in the 4th quarter, and there was no reason to think they didn't have a shot at keeping Nebraska out of the endzone in OT. OT boiled down to their defensive play against our defensive play, and our defense was playing better at that point. The defense giving up that TD run to Birkhead was just as crushing as our last pass.

Reactions: CycloneErik

Clones21

Jan 20, 2008
Des Moines
Why take a knee?

I'm not trying to add fuel to the fire, but why take a knee with 40 seconds left and all 3 timeouts left? I really dont care if you dont trust your QB. We really should have tryed to go score with all 3 timeouts left and some time on the clock...i think thats where we screwed up in the first place. I love CPR and the whole coaching staff, but that was a dumb mistake.

ISU2010

Jun 20, 2010
Re: Why take a knee?

I'm not trying to add fuel to the fire, but why take a knee with 40 seconds left and all 3 timeouts left? I really dont care if you dont trust your QB. We really should have tryed to go score with all 3 timeouts left and some time on the clock...i think thats where we screwed up in the first place. I love CPR and the whole coaching staff, but that was a dumb mistake.

And if we'd have turned the ball over and Nebraska won the game with a FG or pick 6 in the last minute of regulation, then you'd be on here second guessing CPR going for it and calling that decision a dumb mistake instead. What if we'd have completed the pass to win in overtime, would you still be second guessing CPR for not making a drive from our own 20 yard line with 40 seconds left, still calling it a dumb mistake? No, you'd be thanking him for the gutsy call in OT and making a smart decision to take the game into overtime to have the better chance at the win.

We lost. It sucks. Quit over analyzing everything and focus your attention on the only thing that matters to this team and its fan base: winning at Colorado on Saturday.

tazclone

Apr 14, 2006
Great game, but I can't say that I've ever seen an offense take a knee with so much time and timeouts just for a tie? I loved the call to go for 2 but really question not trying to get into fg position with 40 secs left. Thought is was vote of zero confidence in AA's ability to throw the ball. He couldn't run and can't throw...they kept him on the field too long today.
Nebraska has one of the best secondaries in college football. I had no issue with taking a knee. The only thing I might have done differently was run the ball. If you get a big gain then maybe pass. If you don't, let the clock run out.

I would be more upset if I was a nub fan as they pretty much did the same thing

ericlambi

Mar 24, 2006
there was no reason to not at least give it to a-rob and see if he could get something going

we were making fun of ferentz for doing this during the OSU game last year; i was disappointed rhoads didn't at least make an attempt at it... he usually isn't afraid of taking a risk

Good point about Iowa vs OSU last year. I was outraged that Ferentz didn't even try, thought it was the worst call ever. I didn't have the same feeling about this situation, probably because Arnaud has shown a tendency to throw picks under pressure. I don't know.

akellar

Nov 28, 2008
Stuart, IA
The hypocrisy of some people on this topic is shocking to me. The same people who are saying the fake XP was a great call because he was going for the win are the same people who are saying it was a good call to take a knee and go into OT. In my opinion it would have been much less risky to try for a FG at the end of the game instead of having a backup kicker throwing the ball with the game on the line. You can't praise the coach (and this is in no way a shot at CPR, he's a great coach) one minute for going for the win and turn around and say being overly conservative and not going for the win was the right call. It just doesn't add up.

driegner

Jun 9, 2010
Columbus, OH
The fact is we were tied with a top 10 opponent with 0:40 to play. If we throw a pick, or fumble, all the had work of the game was for naught, as Nebraska bangs through a last-second FG.

On the other hand, going to OT, we're always guaranteed a chance to compensate for a mistake. i.e. when Nebraska scored right away in OT, we got to come out on O and respond.

I like the call, it was much better to decide the game in OT, than to blow it in regulation.

cyclones500

Jan 29, 2010
Michigan
basslakebeacon.com
The hypocrisy of some people on this topic is shocking to me. The same people who are saying the fake XP was a great call because he was going for the win are the same people who are saying it was a good call to take a knee and go into OT. In my opinion it would have been much less risky to try for a FG at the end of the game instead of having a backup kicker throwing the ball with the game on the line. You can't praise the coach (and this is in no way a shot at CPR, he's a great coach) one minute for going for the win and turn around and say being overly conservative and not going for the win was the right call. It just doesn't add up.

You're correct that some people are being 2-faced about it, praising conservatism in one case and lauding a gutsy move in the other. Some of us might be assessing risk-reward differently in each case.

I still say it's easy to wind back to the end of regulation and say it would've been less risky than what the team tried in OT because (1) the 2-point try failed and (2) we didn't get to see what happened by trying to drive from our own 20.

cyclones500

Jan 29, 2010
Michigan
basslakebeacon.com
Good point about Iowa vs OSU last year. I was outraged that Ferentz didn't even try, thought it was the worst call ever. I didn't have the same feeling about this situation, probably because Arnaud has shown a tendency to throw picks under pressure. I don't know.

I, too, thought Iowa lost that game by settling for OT. But a few things were different, in my opinion.

1. It was on the road and there was some momentum, and I think it's best to try to ride that out instead of letting the home team regroup and start from scratch.

2. I may be wrong, but I think Iowa had the ball in somewhat better field position — was it maybe their own 30 or 35? Getting into FG range in a calculated manner seemed more realistic and slightly less risky than starting at the 20.

I can't recall how much time was left or timeout situation in that one — seems like there may have been even more time.

Bobber

Apr 12, 2006
Hudson, Iowa
I, too, thought Iowa lost that game by settling for OT. But a few things were different, in my opinion.

1. It was on the road and there was some momentum, and I think it's best to try to ride that out instead of letting the home team regroup and start from scratch.

2. I may be wrong, but I think Iowa had the ball in somewhat better field position — was it maybe their own 30 or 35? Getting into FG range in a calculated manner seemed more realistic and slightly less risky than starting at the 20.

I can't recall how much time was left or timeout situation in that one — seems like there may have been even more time.

They are nearly other identical situations other than Iowa's starting quarter back was out of the game.

Cyclone1985

Nov 18, 2008
Grimes

a 2 yard pass play, vs 60 yards in 40 secs with a QB who already threw a pick 6 inside his own 20.... hmmm.

akellar

Nov 28, 2008
Stuart, IA
a 2 yard pass play, vs 60 yards in 40 secs with a QB who already threw a pick 6 inside his own 20.... hmmm.

So you'd trust a backup kicker to make that play instead of your 5th year senior QB to drive 40 yards? If that's the case we have much larger problems.

cyrocksmypants

Dec 29, 2008
Washington DC
Did the OP say that AA was left in too long? Really? If AA wasn't playing, this game wouldn't have even gotten to overtime. Yes, he threw the two picks, but bounced back and was practically lights out after that.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron