Suprised more people aren't discussing taking a knee

Cyclone1985

Nov 18, 2008
Grimes
So you'd trust a backup kicker to make that play instead of your 5th year senior QB to drive 40 yards? If that's the case we have much larger problems.

i would trust a linemen to throw a 2 yd pass. Heck I would take my little sister throwing that pass.

akellar

Nov 28, 2008
Stuart, IA
i would trust a linemen to throw a 2 yd pass. Heck I would take my little sister throwing that pass.

Well then we should have had your little sister out there cause it sure as hell didn't work with who we had. It looked like he threw it with his wrong hand.

Dolokaju

Jun 8, 2006
give it to A-Rob and see if he can get 10-15...If you're in your regular offensive set, they have to defend...still when they were one-on-one with our WRs, Arnaud did pretty well...my guess is they are in pass defense...

Cyclone1985

Nov 18, 2008
Grimes
Well then we should have had your little sister out there cause it sure as hell didn't work with who we had. It looked like he threw it with his wrong hand.

and how do you know it would have been the correct decision to press our luck in the last 40 seconds and try to score?! Hind sight is ALWAYS 20/20.

If we kick the extra point and then dont score in the 2nd OT, would you have ripped Rhoads for not going for two in the frst OT?

bos

Legend
Staff member
Apr 10, 2006
and how do you know it would have been the correct decision to press our luck in the last 40 seconds and try to score?! Hind sight is ALWAYS 20/20.

If we kick the extra point and then dont score in the 2nd OT, would you have ripped Rhoads for not going for two in the frst OT?

Me. Well not of ripped on him but questioned it. He absolutely made the right call.

JUKEBOX

Oct 27, 2008
I would have handed it to Arob. If he gets a big gain, you have 3 time outs and field position. If he gets stuffed, just let the clock run out. I have enough confidence in Arob for him not fumbling it.

Rogue52

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 20, 2006
Cedar Rapids, IA
In the moment, I felt it was absolutely the right decision.

People saying "Why take risks in OT if you are going to play conservative in regulation?" don't understand the concept of a fake. Nothing we could do at the end of regulation was going to come as a surprise to Nebraska. They were going to have 8 guys back guarding against any play over 10 yards. We needed 40.

Last edited:

akellar

Nov 28, 2008
Stuart, IA

If you go back and read my original post I never questioned if the fake was the correct call. My point is that you can't say one was correct because he's going for the win and the other is correct because he's playing it safe. If your going to risk losing the game I would have much rather it had been with the best players on the team. We sure weren't worried about Arnaud throwing the ball in OT where the same mistake that everyone is bringing up would have ended the game just the same as in regulation.

And no, I absolutely would not have been ripping him for taking the points and getting another shot. From the way I saw the game, we were the better team yesterday. I would have taken my chances that our defense, with extra rest because the offense would take the ball first in the 2nd OT, would have stepped up and gotten them held to at least a FG try.

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
rememberingdoria.wordpress.com
Re: Why take a knee?

I'm not trying to add fuel to the fire, but why take a knee with 40 seconds left and all 3 timeouts left? I really dont care if you dont trust your QB. We really should have tryed to go score with all 3 timeouts left and some time on the clock...i think thats where we screwed up in the first place. I love CPR and the whole coaching staff, but that was a dumb mistake.

It was smart field-position football.

People say, "Go for a 57-yard field goal." Really? 57 yards? Grant wasn't having the best day.

People say, "It's playing not to lose." Really? If we go to OT, the offense will start at the 25, in good position to score. It's a lot better than gambling against a defense with much better athletes than our offense has.

CPR wasn't afraid to go for the win. The man is smart enough to know when he has a chance at a gamble and when he doesn't. Trying to drive in those last 40 seconds is counting on a whole lot of things that don't usually work for us.

It has nothing to do with confidence in a QB or a lack of it. It has to do with understanding the reality of the situation.

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
rememberingdoria.wordpress.com
If you go back and read my original post I never questioned if the fake was the correct call. My point is that you can't say one was correct because he's going for the win and the other is correct because he's playing it safe. If your going to risk losing the game I would have much rather it had been with the best players on the team. We sure weren't worried about Arnaud throwing the ball in OT where the same mistake that everyone is bringing up would have ended the game just the same as in regulation.

And no, I absolutely would not have been ripping him for taking the points and getting another shot. From the way I saw the game, we were the better team yesterday. I would have taken my chances that our defense, with extra rest because the offense would take the ball first in the 2nd OT, would have stepped up and gotten them held to at least a FG try.

By looking at the situations, you absolutely can laud both decisions. They were both a good call.

When Austen was throwing in OT, we were in scoring position. It was a much better setup for us.

FDCy83

May 15, 2008
I think it was probably a 50-50 choice. Not much chance to move the ball through the air against the nations #1 ranked pass defense when Nebraska would be expecting a pass, and not likely that running the ball would pick up 40 yards in 40 seconds, even with 3 time outs.

On the other hand, they had the advantage in field goal kicking, so overtime odds favored them.

I don't think there was a right or wrong decision there.

I believe the whole time we were behind in the 4th quarter, that number 1 pass defense expected us to pass, and yet somehow we managed to score on a long drive and a short drive, including a reception for a touch down. Seems the number 1 pass defense was vulnerable. I still don't understand not at least handing the ball off to ARob and seeing if we get anything. Yes he fumbled earlier in the game, but how many times this season has he fumbled? In that situation, I think we need to trust our best player with the ball, and I really do not think the extra point holder was the best player. I understand the surprise factor, but obviously it surprised our holder because he did not throw a good pass, which I believe was intercepted. Now how is that worse odds than ARob fumbling?

CycloneWarning

Jan 14, 2008
Great game, but I can't say that I've ever seen an offense take a knee with so much time and timeouts just for a tie? I loved the call to go for 2 but really question not trying to get into fg position with 40 secs left. Thought is was vote of zero confidence in AA's ability to throw the ball. He couldn't run and can't throw...they kept him on the field too long today.

I have no problem taking a knee, but I did not like that we did it on first down. I think you have to take at least one shot downfield for a 20+ yard gain. You have to trust a senior QB to throw the ball only where we catch it, get PI, or it falls incomplete.

If the first down shot fails, you can always take a knee on second down.

Cyhart

Aug 15, 2009
Des Moines
We had the momentum in the 4th quarter. Mahoney had already hit a 57 yard FG.
We should have tried to make a big play at the end of regulation.
Loved the 2 pt conversion call, didnt like taking a knee though.

CTAClone

Addict
Mar 28, 2006
Amerika
i dont understand the fear of attempting to win at the end of regulation.

AA has 10 ints in 267 attempts. less than 4%. id take those odds any day for a few plays.

Sloup

Nov 14, 2009
Ames, IA
Have a string two or three running plays ready for A-rob, hoping he breaks through. If those don't work, call a time out with ~3 seconds left and take a shot down field. An interception isn't as scary when there's no chance for Alex Henery to kick a field goal. If you're planning on doing a 2-point conversion in overtime, I would think this is an equally safe plan of action.

I do respect the decision to take it to overtime, though.

edr247

Aug 4, 2010
Great game, but I can't say that I've ever seen an offense take a knee with so much time and timeouts just for a tie? I loved the call to go for 2 but really question not trying to get into fg position with 40 secs left. Thought is was vote of zero confidence in AA's ability to throw the ball. He couldn't run and can't throw...they kept him on the field too long today.

I don't know exactly how much time was left, or how field position compared to the ISU game, but Iowa did it last year at tOSU with the Rose Bowl on the line. We had the momentum, but went conservative, took it to OT and then lost.

Granted, we were playing with a freshman making his first start, so maybe the thought was "what if we turn it over?" That would be slightly different from your case with Arnaud at QB. Still, if he had been aggressive and Arnaud had thrown a pick, or somebody had fumbled, then you'd have questions about why Rhoads didn't play for OT.

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville

Yeah, I thought that was obviously what it was. That thought was confirmed when they were letting him throw the back shoulder pass twice after the two picks. Ridiculous.

Cyrocks

Mar 12, 2009
I don't know exactly how much time was left, or how field position compared to the ISU game, but Iowa did it last year at tOSU with the Rose Bowl on the line. We had the momentum, but went conservative, took it to OT and then lost.

Granted, we were playing with a freshman making his first start, so maybe the thought was "what if we turn it over?" That would be slightly different from your case with Arnaud at QB. Still, if he had been aggressive and Arnaud had thrown a pick, or somebody had fumbled, then you'd have questions about why Rhoads didn't play for OT.

I might be wrong, but wasn't there like over a minute left in that Iowa-Ohio State game as opposed to just 40 seconds.

I think had there been more than a minute left the Nebraska game, I think Rhoads and crew may have had the team go for a game-winning field goal.

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville
Now in seriousness. Here are the things that I would say made this decision:

1. They have perhaps the best kicker in the nation. The wind had died down so I would think he would be good from 50 at least.

2. They had not shown to be able to throw the ball and were struggling to run it late. I think we thought we could win the game by making them kick a FG.

3. AA will press the issue in those situations. Yes, it cost us a pick six but it also got us back in the game and tied it in the first OT.

In all honestly, I think PR thought our defense could stop them in the first OT and we could score a TD. I think he thought it was a higher percentage play. For the record I still disagree but I don't get paid a bunch of money to make the decision and I also am not on the sidelines. That call didn't cost us the game. Who knows, maybe it saved us the game.