Suprised more people aren't discussing taking a knee

FDCy83

May 15, 2008
Did the OP say that AA was left in too long? Really? If AA wasn't playing, this game wouldn't have even gotten to overtime. Yes, he threw the two picks, but bounced back and was practically lights out after that.

But not lights out enough to risk getting 40 yards in 40 seconds.

Clueless

Nov 8, 2010
DM
So, if the risk outweighs the reward (which I don't think it did), at what yard mark would CPR feel comfortable to try and move the ball with 40 seconds, 3 TOs, and a kicker who had previously pounded a 57 yarder?

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville
Have a string two or three running plays ready for A-rob, hoping he breaks through. If those don't work, call a time out with ~3 seconds left and take a shot down field. An interception isn't as scary when there's no chance for Alex Henery to kick a field goal. If you're planning on doing a 2-point conversion in overtime, I would think this is an equally safe plan of action.

I do respect the decision to take it to overtime, though.

The difference in those calls is you are deciding to go up and up in one and in the other call you are banking on them not to see it coming. The two point conversion on a fake is just one play. You would have had to string together about 4 or 5 good ones to get into FG range and they would have been sitting back allowing 10 yard gains. We weren't getting a 20 yarder.

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville
So, if the risk outweighs the reward (which I don't think it did), at what yard mark would CPR feel comfortable to try and move the ball with 40 seconds, 3 TOs, and a kicker who had previously pounded a 57 yarder?

He was still 1/3 on the day and our snapping was not good for whatever reason.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
I will not fault CPR for taking a knee.

I had hoped that he would try to do something with it. With the risk of an erratic throw I wouldn't throw it, though. As someone mentioned here, Nebraska was just sitting back waiting for a throw. I would try a running play and see what you can get. If you get a first down, the clock stops and you can run another play with more and more freedom as you get farther away from the shadows of your own goalpost. If it is going badly you can still run out the clock. The only risk is the turnover, but if you are running you don't have to worry about the bad pass, only the fumble. Remind the ball carriers about ball security and to not fight for one extra yard if you are wrapped up.

40 seconds with 3 timeouts, a tail wind and a kicker with a strong leg is an eternity. If you get beyond Nebraska FG range and you still have time (and a timeout) line up with your two best blocking WR's split out (Reynolds and Darks, maybe?) to one side and run that wheel route to ARob to that side and see what he can make happen. The QB (I'm talking to you, AA) needs to be reminded that if there is any danger with that throw whatsoever he needs to throw it into the 5th row of the stands or even drop to a knee and take a sack. The only receiver that seemed to be open with any consistency Saturday was ARob. Exploit that and get him into space with at a least a little blocking in front of him. Again if at any point it is not working, you can run the clock out.

I have to give XL K9 credit for the wheel route idea. He pointed out how open that play had been in the game.

I don't see it as any more risky than trying to go toe to toe with Nebraska (ranked #9/10 at the time, need I remind you) in OT. Our defense is a bend but don't break defense. There isn't much room to bend when they start their drive at the 25. For this same reason I applaud CPR's decision to go for the win at the end of the first OT.

I like this coach better and better all the time. That is pretty high praise considering I was so very pleased with him even last year.

CarolinaCy

Apr 18, 2008
Is everyone forgetting the 2 previous possessions that we had?

On the first one, we took over at our own 46 with 9:02 left to go, then promptly went 2 yards on 3 plays and punted.

We hold NU to a 3 and out, taking over at our own 35 with 6:37 left to go. On that drive it took us 8 plays and 3:18 to travel a measly 28 yards. Then we missed a 55-yard attempt that was not even close.

Bottom line is our offense already had 2 chances to win the game in regulation under much better conditions, and failed. If we come up with points on either of those drives, this discussion isn't happening.

Blame CPR all you want, but our offense lost this game for us. NU scored 21 points off our turnovers, and we had 2 chances to get points from good field position late in the 4th and couldn't capitalize. That's why we lost, not because CPR called a bad game.

IcSyU

Nov 27, 2007
Rochester, MN
Blame CPR all you want, but our offense lost this game for us. NU scored 21 points off our turnovers, and we had 2 chances to get points from good field position late in the 4th and couldn't capitalize. That's why we lost, not because CPR called a bad game.
So the defense didn't have a shot to prevent 14 of those points? They can't defend the pick 6, but they absolutely had chances to prevent the other 14, and got the ball ran down their throats.

Iowa State lost. Not the offense. Not the defense. Not the special teams unit. Iowa State.

Nihawk

Nov 3, 2009
Is everyone forgetting the 2 previous possessions that we had?

On the first one, we took over at our own 46 with 9:02 left to go, then promptly went 2 yards on 3 plays and punted.

We hold NU to a 3 and out, taking over at our own 35 with 6:37 left to go. On that drive it took us 8 plays and 3:18 to travel a measly 28 yards. Then we missed a 55-yard attempt that was not even close.

Bottom line is our offense already had 2 chances to win the game in regulation under much better conditions, and failed. If we come up with points on either of those drives, this discussion isn't happening.

SOLID POST CAROLINA
I was 50-50 on call.
You have a 5th year Sr. QB with wind. Decent kicker.
You have a 5th year QB who does not always make good decisions and forces passes.