Student Deal on Windows 7

Clonehomer

Apr 11, 2006
Engineering students can do this too, just picked up my copy from the Bookstore today. Awesome deal...

Engineering students don't get the business deal. I think that it's about $60 for them. Still a good deal but not quite up to the business deal. Every other microsoft product from MSDNAA for free makes up for that.

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
I thought windows 7 didn't come out for a few more weeks??

thats whats annoying. ive wanted it for awhile, and wouldve bought it already, but unless youve got access to one of these special channels (schools, msdn, etc) you cant get it for a few weeks.

isubeatle

Aug 9, 2006
Des Moines
anyone know if an alumni association email will work? you can get one if you're a member and it ends in @alumni.iastate.edu

lennon3

Apr 11, 2006
Which bookstore are you guys buying this from? I just went into the MU today and they said they won't have it for a few weeks after the retail release which is towards the end of October...

ce1

Mar 23, 2006
Minnesota
My guess is that you should stick with XP. I use Vista and have no problems but honestly XP is my favorite OS ever. I don't believe you can upgrade from xp to 7 without a re-image, which means it will erase programs/files.

If you can afford it and your computer is compatible, you should move to Windows 7 from XP.

Without going into too much detail, i work extensively in computer security. Windows 7 is a significant OS upgrade from XP, from a driver security, malware, and virus prevention standpoint. Plus, it is a great OS. I've been using the beta and RCs, via VPC and VMWare for six months, and it is simply no comparison to Vista (which should be avoided like the plague).

This is in no way an endorsement of MS products over Mac. It's simply a strong recommendation from the computer security world. Getting past the XP OS and onto Windows 7 would be advantageous, from a secure computing standpoint.

jbhtexas

Oct 20, 2006
Arlington, TX
anyone know if an alumni association email will work? you can get one if you're a member and it ends in @alumni.iastate.edu

I'm not sure about that. The people who work at the Alumni Association get email addresses that end in alumni.iastate.edu. However, the forwarding email address that members get from the Alumni Association ends in isualum.com, at least mine does...

See the lower left of the link below...

http://cyspace.isualum.org/s/565/index.aspx?sid=565&gid=1

Last edited:

cstrunk

Mar 21, 2006
Longview, TX
Engineering students don't get the business deal. I think that it's about $60 for them. Still a good deal but not quite up to the business deal. Every other microsoft product from MSDNAA for free makes up for that.

Did you even read what I wrote? I said I had just went and purchased it myself from the ISU Bookstore.

So, YES, engineering students are able to purchase MS Office 2007 for $9. The Bookstore's website is not up-to-date, but as of September 1st, this is the new price.

Here is an excerpt from the e-mail I received from the College of Engineering Computing Update 2009:

"$9 Microsoft Office Available from University Book Store
Beginning September 1, engineering students can purchase Microsoft Office 2007 Enterprise or Office 2008 for Mac for only $9. Engineering students may also purchase Windows Vista Business for $9 and Windows Vista Ultimate for $14. Students must have engineering declared as their first or second major and must have their ISU ID Card. Other restrictions may apply, please see the University Book Store for details."

isubeatle

Aug 9, 2006
Des Moines
I'm not sure about that. The people who work at the Alumni Association get email addresses that end in alumni.iastate.edu. However, the forwarding email address that members get from the Alumni Association ends in isualum.com, at least mine does...

See the lower left of the link below...

CySpace - Community Home

yeah you're right on that. after i looked into it more i saw that's the domain that it ends in.

my question is this, if i use my sisters email address to get the link, will it be in her name or registered to her name at all? just curious if it'll look strange when the name on the email address used is different then the name on the billing and who the actual software is registered too.

Cybyassociation

Mar 5, 2008
yeah you're right on that. after i looked into it more i saw that's the domain that it ends in.

my question is this, if i use my sisters email address to get the link, will it be in her name or registered to her name at all? just curious if it'll look strange when the name on the email address used is different then the name on the billing and who the actual software is registered too.

I don't think it would be strange at all. Do you think all of the college kids are going to be paying for this on their own or do you think their parents are going to be paying?

bos

Legend
Staff member
Apr 10, 2006
Im excited for the branchcache and directaccess features.

JessicaD

Sep 21, 2009
Ce1,
Thank you for evaluating Windows 7 and it's great to hear that you are enjoying your experience so much! If you are planning on purchasing Windows 7 when it is released it may be helpful to know you don't have to wait until October to reserve your copy of Win 7! You can pre-order your copy of Windows 7 Home Premium or Windows 7 Professional today. For more information, see the Windows 7 Pre-Order offer page here: Windows 7 Pre-Order Offer
Jessica
Microsoft Windows Client Team

Help Support Us

Become a patron